PDA

View Full Version : What have you done to your car today?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

marcs_sp20
14-03-2008, 08:43 AM
Hey guys,

When this site was blocked from my works internet, I had to find other means of looking up mazda stuff so i was regularly on Mazdas247.com to get my fix :p

Anyways in most of the boards they had a thread similiar to this regarding what they had done to there car that day, be it give it a wash, put it in for a service etc, so i would assume this would be able to work on this forum... Its just a suggestion, and if mods need be just delete the thread if it isnt irrelevent. It also gives an indication whats happening with everyones pride and joy :).

So anyways I will start...

Bought some new spark plugs for the SP20 last night, so its ready for this weekends cruise :)

Marc

Rupewrecht
14-03-2008, 10:26 AM
Nah, great idea - i update one of these on iMazda.com all the time. Stickied!

Mine?

i tested my sunroof :D

http://rupewrecht.com/astina/bodykit/astina_sunroof_headliner2.jpg

LOL

marcs_sp20
14-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Good God!!! you certainly have your work cut out for ya dan!!!

Oh and thanks for making this thread a sticky ;)

project.r.racing
14-03-2008, 11:16 AM
I washed the car as it's been dirty since the last motorkhana 2 weeks ago. Geez i had to use metho to get the competition numbers removed. Also removed all the old sponsorship decals that weren't required any more.

Ryan

DavoAust
14-03-2008, 12:03 PM
replaced rear wheel bearings and fixed front light fault :)

phly
14-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Hey guys,

I replaced my brake booter thing. No one thought that thing would be faulty but mine was. So now my car brakes normally again instead of hard braking all the time LOL

karamello
14-03-2008, 02:03 PM
i installed red tyre valve caps..

wooo!!

marcs_sp20
14-03-2008, 03:06 PM
I might aswell write what im doing tomorrow as i wont have time to come on here, and that would be:

Wash, vacuum & detail the car ready for the cruise (its a dull grey at the moment :()
degrease the engine bay
Install new Bosch Platinum Plus Spark Plugs (were on special at Supercheap :D)
Spray some of the plastics under the bonnet (fuse box, engine cover, strut bar) in baby blue

Oh and although not mazda related, fit the front bar back on Tash's Lancer seeing its been off for 6wks due to repair and respray...

New pics will prolly come on sunday arvo/night depending on how i feel after the cruise..

Marc

Rupewrecht
22-03-2008, 10:07 PM
Fitted some new inner guard liners, and picked up a JDM coin holder to replace one of the blanks next to the steering column.

And got some BA V6 alloys from tenebrous. Cheers again!

rodhog
22-03-2008, 10:40 PM
Done nothing. Dont' have an astina anymore
but on others
One car out of comission did box again my back-up spare box sort of
here is a thread on mx6.com to see pics http://www.mx6.com/forums/australia-new-zealand/205472-can-you-do-what-rodhog-can-do-115kws-fw.html

MY project wagon - is still in panel shop

But what I have done more recently is take delivery of stuff Rupewrecht has gotten for me and I've had many joy-gazams and used them.

planning on polishing my strut brace up and few other bits.

andrewck
24-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Been out driving my SP20 all weekend, hmm wonder why mine has 155,000 kms on the clock in 5 yrs ;) But its so much fun to drive, Hopefully should be washed and garaged for the rest of the week

pr1mo
24-03-2008, 10:46 PM
i evicted some possums.

Dogo
26-03-2008, 10:25 AM
home wrecker !

I fitted the side skirts that were never screwed on.

skitz
26-03-2008, 10:33 AM
i evicted some possums.

your car had possums? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sleepy Gonzalez
26-03-2008, 11:15 AM
I went to the panel beater's to check on the repairs to my car after a taxi tried to straight line it through a roundabout. We have these really cool roundabouts in a 100kph zone, but you have to be super defensive when going quickly, as people tend to cut the corners, not indicate, cut you off as they enter etc. This taxi driver was a shocker. Not only was he blocking the right lane in a 100 zone, he failed to indicate or check his mirror before changing lanes approaching the roundabout. The road bends right then left to merge onto the roundabout. I was minding my own business in the left lane and as I passed him, he cut the corner into my lane. The choices were to brake and T-bone him, Jump the kerb into the ditch and lightpole at over 60kph or keep going while trying to squeeze through against the kerb and hope he sees me. This sort of thig happens quite often, but this time I got hit when I chose the latter. He hit my right rear corner, thankfully without spinning me out.

So now I have yet another car to drive, a Holden Epica. Comfy, quiet, smooth on rough roads, heaps of neat stuff in the cabin. But, I hate it. It's awful to try and drive quickly in town. Stupid auto. Beats walking though!

spedwards
26-03-2008, 09:59 PM
Today I went to install / replace the low beam bulbs in mine and realised I'd bought H4 rather than H7 - idiot!!!

Putonyourshoes
26-03-2008, 10:02 PM
replaced my sidelight LED's and my interior lights with LEDs. all are white now. looks nice IMO.

RedLineResident
26-03-2008, 10:02 PM
today i washed it then tortured the poor thing as i put it in the hands of my learner brother to get the hang of manual on.

it wasn't as bad as i expected but watching the stalling and bunny hopping in a local shopping center car park was pretty painful.

Putonyourshoes
26-03-2008, 10:03 PM
today i washed it then tortured the poor thing as i put it in the hands of my learner brother to get the hang of manual on.

it wasn't as bad as i expected but watching the stalling and bunny hopping in a local shopping center car park was pretty painful.

just out of curiosity.. does bunny hopping and stuff cause damage??

RedLineResident
26-03-2008, 10:06 PM
it shouldn't

im sure its not good for it as there is a surge going through the gearbox but i was more worried about the exesive clutch riding.

however to put it in perspective; after what i do to it im sure it'll be fine.

rodhog
27-03-2008, 01:19 AM
bunny hopping hurts usually stock engine mounts. but they have flex

I run solid mounts - stright to my frame.
I bunny hop it on the odd time I'm falling asleep. It wakes you up.
but here is the thing.

on my front radiator engine mount that bolts to frame to are fine but all the bolts on the gearbox keep falling out. So I had to lock tight them in - with hi strength as plain lock tight would not do.
So think about that engine mount.

on a RWD - it's suspension and rear diff mounts or panhard rod or even rear gearbox input shaft.
Stock clutch and open car park with witches hats or some sort of non damaging items is best to stop it. They will learn better then on the road.

I had to learn on or at least R-learn on a 5 puck clutch. but as all my cars run heavy clutches I run always slip stock full face ones too much.

Dogo
27-03-2008, 09:59 AM
I've broken the front left steering arm.
Not sure if its snapped or come loose from the knuckle.
Luckily I was parking at the time, not driving !
I turned it to full lock and 'CLUNK' , now the wheel isn't responding to the steering wheel.
I can see the end of the arm hanging in mid air , and can turn the wheel by hand.

Waiting for a tow truck as I write.
Getting a car as low as mine onto a tow truck is going to be interesting ...

:(

Putonyourshoes
27-03-2008, 10:21 AM
that sucks man. lucky it was while parking! hope you get it sorted.

Rupewrecht
27-03-2008, 10:31 AM
Fark dave! Lucky it didn't happen at speed.

marcs_sp20
27-03-2008, 10:42 AM
Can anyone say SCRAPE :(. Thats going to be a handful getting it onto a towtruck me thinks...

Dogo
27-03-2008, 11:36 AM
... and still waiting !

wet weather has overloaded the tow company with crashed cars.
good thing I brought my work laptop with me last night :)

I suppose it'll need an alignment now too before I get it back on the road

Rupewrecht
27-03-2008, 11:52 AM
You should be adjusting your coilovers up!

Dogo
27-03-2008, 11:58 AM
good idea.

want to bring me a jack ? lol

Rupewrecht
27-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Ahh...nope, haven't got one in my car either lol

Putonyourshoes
27-03-2008, 12:17 PM
go loooking for things to help it on a ramp. or ask someone for a jack hahaha have fun with that one mate.

phly
27-03-2008, 03:44 PM
I installed some ngk iridium spark plugs into my car on the weekend. I dont think theres any difference whatsoever. Hopefully itll have better fuel consumption in the long run to pay the 60 odd bucks off I paid for them LOL

spedwards
27-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Here's hoping to save more than $40 in fuel between now and the next time you change them ;)

Dogo
27-03-2008, 03:52 PM
car is home. Ive got new scrapes on the front bar but they blend in with the others.

rodhog
28-03-2008, 03:02 AM
When problems arise like that - old cars - you shoudl do all the bits

from Ball joints to bushes.

I've never done a steering linkage - because I'm runing ATX steering setup on manual shafts.

but it's amazingly easy how you can kill a ball joint and not even notice.

most of mine is over done and when the last one went only noticed when I checked it on the hoist.

but had due to al lthe virbration in the car -you can't feel it at 60-80kmh

Lawsy
28-03-2008, 12:59 PM
Here's hoping to save more than $40 in fuel between now and the next time you change them ;)

The fact that he wont have to replace them for nearly 3 times the duration of normal spark plugs will help as well... just take them out and give them a clean up every 15 thou and they'll last ages.
Oh, and I drove to UNI in my Astina today.. Does that count?

This isn't exactly today, but I only found the thread now, so meh...
Be prepared for a long read if you're interested in lights on a BG and how to get around certain legalities regarding hi beams if you want to use projectors....
Lately, I have been totally obsessed with lights. Read: HID's, LEDs and making them perfect.

Situation and/or problem. (bourbon I'm looking at you).

You have a BG Astina and you want/have projector lenses with HIDs (they rock, you DO want these). Thus, you wont/don't have hi beams anymore from the main assembly. You'll also find that if you flick hi beams on, the low beams turn off (since there are two filaments in a H4, and both shouldn't be run at the same time under most conditions, which is why they are wired this way).

Solution.
Part 1.
I have spotlights. Win.
I have also used some engineering trickery to have my lo beams stay on when hi beam is selected.

I have 3 relay's and a capacitor installed to run my headlights. I've made an AND and an OR gate from three relays in order to have my low beams stay on if either hi or lo beam is selected. Lo beams stay as normal. On off, see the genius?
Now, for high beam, projectors stay on and spotties come on, resulting in ownage, with semi normal hi beams again. When I get HID's for my spotties, you better look out, cause if I hi beam you for 5 seconds strait (the time it takes for HIDs to get to max brightness) you'll die from the photons cutting through your eyes and melting your brain.
The capacitor is used to keep the HIDs on for a short period of time, as HIDs don't like igniting on and off quickly, this helps against accidents or switchgear problems (so it eliminates any flickering during switching).

Next post, part two of my little bogan lighting fun.

Lawsy
28-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Solution
Part 2.

I'm working on a new linkage setup so that my low beams have the headlights sit down about an inch, almost with a bit of a sleepy eye look (but the lens focussed high, resulting in normal focal point) and pop up to normal height with high beams on (results in HID projectors dominating the retina's of the Camry drivers cutting me off).
Heres how.

Skip this first paragraph if you know how the linkage for pop up headlights work in an Astina

If you look at the linkage in a BG, the motor responsible for driving the headlight assembly has a small inch long cranking/moment arm. This is connected to a 3.5 inch linkage (think crankshaft - conrod). This linkage attaches half way up on a four inch swing arm, which moves in fixed axis rotation. The base (pivot point) of this swing arm is roughly on the same horizontal plane as the center of the crank. This swing arm has a 5 or so inch linkage at the top that is connected to the headlight assembly. This point of the headlight assembly is around 4.5 inches from the pivot point (the 'pop up' pivot point). If you can picture all this, its a crankshaft moving a lever, and the lever doubles the resulting motion before connecting to the assembly, since the driving motion of this lever is half way up a lever (which moves a short swing in circular motion) and the driven motion double, which doubles the movement... Right? Right...

Ok here goes.

I'm working on making a crank/moment arm from the headlight motor that is less than half of the current length (instantly halving the total movement of the headlight assembly, closer to 40% is what I'm aiming for). I'll be drilling a new hole and connecting the 1st linkage higher up on the lever arm, thus reducing the total movement of this arm (now total movement is about 10-15%). I'll then increase and/or decrease the other linkages in order to have the top point the same as the current top point (bit of machine dynamics coming in handy).
Thus, the electronics controlling the headlight assembly don't have to be modified, other than to connect the switch to my hi beams. So the motor does its normal rotation to the down position (sleepy eye position) and fully rotates up to its high position. All I have to do is change the height of the bump stops in the assembly to prevent any vibration. Which is fairly easy.

Tricky eh? Its a fair amount of work, and I haven't started yet, but I enjoy doing this sort of thing so it doesn't bother me.
If you want to know how I wired up the relays, just ask and I'll scan up a circuit diagram. Its really, really simple.

All my external lights are now LED, all but the reversing lights (couldn't be bothered, they're rarely seen). They all look tops now; I'll never have to replace them again either.

Yes I leave my lights up all the time, otherwise water gets into them (I park facing downhill, no seal works in this situation when it gets really wet). So I just leave them up...
See what I mean by obsessed though? I'm spending more money that I don't have on lighting, when I could probably get a 300 dollar DOHC motor from a wreckers with the money I would have saved; and at least started to pull it down...
IDIOT!!!
Argh back to lectures :(

walterkramer
29-03-2008, 12:30 AM
today done a wheel alignement on my car front and rear checked under car
no spiders good went test drive after wheel alignement up browns plains road
no cops he he he back to work

DavoAust
29-03-2008, 01:23 AM
Lawsy we'll have to have a shootout, your lights vs my white 55W lows, 70W high and rally style 100W spotlights. yes, its overkill :D

what i did? traced a bum speaker wire connection.

karamello
29-03-2008, 04:14 AM
what have i done to my astina lately?

sent it to heaven...thats what i did :(

FEM
29-03-2008, 01:13 PM
i have given my car a service.

flushed engine
new oil filter
new fuel filter
new oil
new g.box oil
degrease.
new plugs
new leads
dizzy cap and rotor
de carb
cleaned intake
adjusted CAI

i gave it a clean too, just a quick one..

spedwards
29-03-2008, 01:38 PM
Just got done washing mine, filthiest car ever!

Rupewrecht
29-03-2008, 01:40 PM
I pulled out the Mazdaspeed seats in the back of my car, and bought a V6 caliper and the last bit of undertray i needed to complete mine!

pr1mo
29-03-2008, 03:16 PM
your car had possums? :eek: :eek: :eek:

um yes.

chris-cool
29-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Today:

My mates Jonno and Terry:

Removed the Radiator
Removed the Intercooler and Pipes
Removed the Turbo
Removed the Manifold
Removed the Air Intake
Removed Air Con Pipes
Order a couple of meters of 6mm silicone vacuum hose

VJ20 is being sent off to on Monday, and a VF10 Hybrid is coming back, The new intercooler and pipe work should arrive in around 10 days. New radiator is going on it, New Intake etc etc etc.

Aaron
29-03-2008, 08:01 PM
Today.... I drove it! (first time in about 2 months) ... Before this was possible though:

* New Waterpump
* New Timing Belt
* New Timing belt tensioner and idler
* Proper timing belt cover installed (Thanks Nate)
* New Accessory belts
* Fresh Coolant

Also had to ghetto mod the muffler by removing the broken outlet and tip. The "box" is still there and it's getting v.f.loud as the wadding blows out of it. But at least it doesn't appear to be loosing water and it's running good and strong so I got the timing belt on OK.

w00t.

Total cost of all this... $198 in parts...

A.

Cosmo Dude
29-03-2008, 09:12 PM
I drove mine to the shops.

I need to sort out some issues with the cooling so the shops is about as far as I can go ATM :(.

I spent $500 on my PC that was earmarked for the Astina;

Gigabyte GA-G31M-S2L motherboard
Intel E2200 Dual-Core CPU
Western Digital 320Gb SATA HDD
Antec 430W PS
Matched pair of Coarsair 1GB DDR2 RAM

I would've rathered spent the money on the Astina but the old P4 was just too stuffed.

chris-cool
30-03-2008, 07:07 PM
This afternoon the interior stuff arrived, so I've been busy doing that.

I installed the head unit and the little storage area under it tonight.. It is one hell of a pain in to get that cover back on. It's not 100% finished yet as it needs to be fixed up properly.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/chris-cool/000_0002-21.jpg

And just a quick one of my car:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/chris-cool/000_0011-9.jpg

karamello
30-03-2008, 07:18 PM
looks good man...at least someone is getting enjoyment out of my leftover bits haha

chris-cool
30-03-2008, 07:20 PM
looks good man...at least someone is getting enjoyment out of my leftover bits haha

hahahaha. Yep. . It'll be better once everything is installed :D

chris-cool
03-04-2008, 05:02 PM
Something else arrived today:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/chris-cool/000_0005-18.jpg

phly
07-04-2008, 01:55 PM
After 3 months of car troubles and deciding, I finally have new suspension. Got the KYB Excel G struts and Eibach Pro-Kit springs. I'd have to say the car still feels and looks stock when driving it normally. But around the bends, the car definately sticks to the ground better. Overall satisfaction with my decision on this setup is probably around 7/10. Im thinking I shouldve probably gone coilovers or maybe the Koni shocks with the Eibach springs like everyone has suggested

Putonyourshoes
07-04-2008, 02:09 PM
how much did that end up costing you mate? just out of curiosity?

phly
07-04-2008, 04:32 PM
Parts and labour came to 1500 including wheel alignment. I'd say I didnt get a good deal cuz it probably should cost 1300 - 1400 I think. It was supplied and fitted in one place so I guess I paid for convenience.

spedwards
07-04-2008, 09:09 PM
Picked up an engine hoist to return the bad bad bad SP20 engine to the wrecker for my $250 back!

Saturday saw me play silly buggers with the generator belt tension bolt. In a rush to get it done between paintball and dinner i forgot to loosen one of the securing bolts and managed to twist the tensioning bolt into two pieces. After a few choice words about how much on an idiot i am I realised it was just a stupid mistake and a trip to Bunnings and a new bolt saved the day.

rodhog
07-04-2008, 11:17 PM
After 3 months of car troubles and deciding, I finally have new suspension. Got the KYB Excel G struts and Eibach Pro-Kit springs. I'd have to say the car still feels and looks stock when driving it normally. But around the bends, the car definately sticks to the ground better. Overall satisfaction with my decision on this setup is probably around 7/10. Im thinking I shouldve probably gone coilovers or maybe the Koni shocks with the Eibach springs like everyone has suggested

GEE funny
I found my Eibach KYB combo too rough on the BA -HT.

I had ride in a car identical V6 with just rear bar like mine and new shocks and manual not auto but it I preffered it over my old astina.

phly
08-04-2008, 09:12 AM
GEE funny
I found my Eibach KYB combo too rough on the BA -HT.

I had ride in a car identical V6 with just rear bar like mine and new shocks and manual not auto but it I preffered it over my old astina.

Yeah i'm not sure if its the shocks/springs or my wheels cuz i've got 18s on and just assumed the bumpyness was cuz of the wheels. The comfort level feels the same as last week when the original stock shocks and springs were on so yeah I dunno. I want a set of 16" light weights now LOL

Aaron
08-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Got my EBC pads from GSLRallysport today. Dropped off the remaining parts for the brake conversion at the engineers.

If he (the engineer) gets back on schedule tomorrow I'll be able to pick them up and get them on the car. That will make Stinky the only BA/KJ car I've heard of with rear brakes bigger than the v6 fronts!

A.

Dogo
08-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Replaced the buggered tie rod end. The thread had worn flat on one side, inside the end. The rod looked ok.
Did the other one too because the boot has been split for a while now, spitting grease all over the place. Including the brake !

Drove my car, the wheels are turning again !

Still needs an alignment though. I eyeballed as best I could but I think its still not right.

Bike got its first service too. They lowered the idle from the run-in setting and it has a very nice bub-bub-bub noise now :D

Lawsy
08-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Lawsy we'll have to have a shootout, your lights vs my white 55W lows, 70W high and rally style 100W spotlights. yes, its overkill :D

Hmmm

You sure you want to?

My 7700 lumens with low and high beams on (4800 main, 2900 spots) vs your 3200? (1400 lumens high beams, 1800 spots [4100 total if you could have all three of your filament pairs on at the same time)?

:P

And if you use Lo beams only, thats 4800 lumens vs 900..... :D

mwhahaha

mussing
09-04-2008, 01:26 PM
I haven't done anything with my car today, but my dad has - he chipped my front bumper while parking his Tarago. :mad:

Luckily it's not very visible and pretty low, but still.

skitz
09-04-2008, 02:08 PM
installed my black mazda speed bucket seats thanks dan :P

marcs_sp20
09-04-2008, 02:26 PM
installed my black mazda speed bucket seats thanks dan :P

picsorban!!!

bourbon
09-04-2008, 02:27 PM
i done weight reduction...

and put 5km's on to it too :p

weight reduction was burning up some fuel ;) haha

RedLineResident
09-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Rotated the tires

- desperate ditch to make the most of the tires that are left.

Damn negative cambers.

Lawsy
10-04-2008, 11:15 PM
What have you done to your Astina today?
Hit the rev limiter, twice....

tsk tsk tsk... I needed more 1st gear to keep up with this P plater in his bombandoor s, who ended up nearly crossing himself in a spin through an intersection when the light went green... He only just recovered, which was even funnier because it almost launched him the other way (infact, I think he was closer to getting thrown the other way than he was to start with..)

Silly noob.

But I still needed more first gear. ><

marcs_sp20
13-04-2008, 01:44 AM
Giving the Lancer & Astina a wash this arvo, shall be fun :).

RedLineResident
13-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Stuck on the AGT stickers, it looks great.

thanks Dan

bourbon
13-04-2008, 06:50 PM
blew up my gearbox :p

Rupewrecht
13-04-2008, 07:23 PM
Moved them both.

Cosmo Dude
13-04-2008, 07:24 PM
blew up my gearbox :p

Again...

Cosmo Dude
13-04-2008, 07:31 PM
I pulled the even head off the engine I bought recently. I learnt that the KF-ZE is a non-interference engine and was surprised at how small the valves were.

RedLineResident
13-04-2008, 07:54 PM
^really?

wow, non interfearance. that means im free to rev the hell out of it.

i know im not but thats good to know.

bourbon
13-04-2008, 07:58 PM
yeah blew it again...im yet to diagnose it :(

astina_hardtop97
14-04-2008, 12:14 PM
i was going to sell it but i ended up buying some 17in rims and after my pink slip i'm getting 15% tints and lowering it so it doesn't look like a 4wd

FEM
14-04-2008, 12:44 PM
i sold my tina, thats what i did :)

now i have a sook vitara :) 1999 too!!

marcs_sp20
14-04-2008, 12:55 PM
i sold my tina, thats what i did :)

now i have a sook vitara :) 1999 too!!

LOL, how long will you keep this one for till you change your mind :p Any mods going to be done?

bourbon
14-04-2008, 01:35 PM
LOL, how long will you keep this one for till you change your mind :p Any mods going to be done?

yeah fixin the front left hand side :P haha

project.r.racing
14-04-2008, 01:42 PM
yeah blew it again...im yet to diagnose it :(unlucky - how you doing that with the lower amount of torque you are pushing out? was it a 2nd hand box of unknown origin to start with?

bourbon
14-04-2008, 02:39 PM
yeah second hand box...but looked to of been reco'ed...lower amount of torque??? i dont absolutley thrash it day in day out...occasionally i will give it a hit...i dont like hi fuel prices so i try and granny as much as possible...and some how i keep rooting 1st and 2nd :(

also ryry my engine isnt a standard DOHC...it has been modded...im pretty sure i would be over the 100kw...

89sp1.8
14-04-2008, 03:48 PM
..purchased some braided lines for $103
bargain

project.r.racing
14-04-2008, 08:16 PM
also ryry my engine isnt a standard DOHC...it has been modded...im pretty sure i would be over the 100kw...i know that, but kW and Nm are two different things... high end power don't kill gearboxes, twisting force does.

if busting 1st and 2nd, what strength clutch do you have in?

bourbon
14-04-2008, 08:45 PM
ohh when i got the engine built it was for more torque sorry than kw and hp...i wanted more torque cause i prefer it and it is better for drags...

i have a standard clutch but have had the springs upgraded in it so it has a clamping pressure of 2000pounds

Lawsy
15-04-2008, 12:27 AM
There's your answer then...

Do you sometimes miss your clutch timing when the car is cold, and get a bit of a bunnyhop? Even a tiny one? Cause thats fairly common... Everythings cold, less lubricated, stiffer, and the human driving is also cold, add that to a high clamping force (has slightly different loading characteristics than a lower clamp but with a higher friction material, ie, worse characteristics...)... That all add's up to a broken gearbox.

project.r.racing
15-04-2008, 06:31 AM

Do you sometimes miss your clutch timing when the car is cold, and get a bit of a bunnyhop? Even a tiny one? Cause thats fairly common... Everythings cold, less lubricated, stiffer, and the human driving is also cold, add that to a high clamping force (has slightly different loading characteristics than a lower clamp but with a higher friction material, ie, worse characteristics...)... That all add's up to a broken gearbox.hence why i asked what strength clutch he had put in. most people nowadays put in a clutch that is too strong.
-
i wise mazda mechanic once told me, "it's cheaper to blow clutches that gearboxes." install a slightly less powerful one.

ryan

Rupewrecht
16-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Well, it was last night, but i took the photos today. I do have the passenger as well in black, but CBF putting it in yet.

http://rupewrecht.com/astina/interior/astina_msseats_blackwhite1.jpg

I think i'll keep the white ones though...but dunno yet. Ask me in a week lol

bourbon
16-04-2008, 05:42 PM
hence why i asked what strength clutch he had put in. most people nowadays put in a clutch that is too strong.
-
i wise mazda mechanic once told me, "it's cheaper to blow clutches that gearboxes." install a slightly less powerful one.

ryan

Do you sometimes miss your clutch timing when the car is cold, and get a bit of a bunnyhop? Even a tiny one? Cause thats fairly common... Everythings cold, less lubricated, stiffer, and the human driving is also cold, add that to a high clamping force (has slightly different loading characteristics than a lower clamp but with a higher friction material, ie, worse characteristics...)... That all add's up to a broken gearbox.

so what clamping pressure you reckon i should get? just a sports heavy duty clutch or a normal heavy duty clutch? also i dont like the feeling of having a really hard clutch pedal...

Lawsy
16-04-2008, 07:11 PM
You have a G series box, yes?

Exedy standard for the G series flywheel is rouhgly 10-15% stronger than a standard G series clutch (pretty much all exedy OEM replacements are 10% or more than spec)...

Its all you'll need.

I shouldn't really tell you this, but I stuffed up a launch the other day and flared to 5000rpm before letting the clutch out, rev's dropped to just over 4000 and then I stamped on the throttle.... As in, the clutch was semi engaged as I went to take off, but timed it wrong (foot had a spaz attack, I dunno), but I still eased it out with full throttle (normally it would fry a stock clutch. It was a major clutch punisher)...

This thing just bit and actually spun the wheels (on a grippy surface, caught me completely by suprise.... I was actually quite proud of the old girl!!). This WAS NOT a dump, it was an easing out at max torque, the clutch took the heat, nothing else...
I'm quite proud of my usual clutch control, but this was definately one of those "Ahh... doh.. :( " moments...

Anyways, the moral of the story is, you simply don't need a heavy duty when the exedy standard is more than enough.... (until you go turbo... I highly doubt anything NA with a BP will ever need anything more).

bourbon
16-04-2008, 07:28 PM
yes i do have a G series...i dont have standard amount of torque...i never try and do burn outs...never dump the clutch..i do get in lots of bumper to bumper traffic...so ido start stop start stop alot...

89sp1.8
16-04-2008, 09:26 PM
..had leaking injector..removed fuel rail to find seal was gone..cleaned up fuel rail while was out again,also replaced all fuel hose clamps with screw-tight ones.

marcs_sp20
16-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Took the eyelids off tonight, gonna prolly respray them or leave them off and spray paint the insides of the headlights black...

89sp1.8
16-04-2008, 10:10 PM
btw nice seats dan,i like the black,suits well

project.r.racing
17-04-2008, 06:27 AM
Well, it was last night, but i took the photos today. I do have the passenger as well in black, but CBF putting it in yet.

http://rupewrecht.com/astina/interior/astina_msseats_blackwhite1.jpg

I think i'll keep the white ones though...but dunno yet. Ask me in a week lolblack looks good cos it ties in well with the interior. but white looks good also cos it stands out a little. decissions, decissions???

ryan

project.r.racing
17-04-2008, 06:33 AM
i dont have standard amount of torque...how much do you have?

bourbon
17-04-2008, 09:08 AM
dont yet to go on the dyno...and wont be able to tell now untill i get a new box...dave has a heavy duty button clutch he will supply me for cheap...and some pressure plates too...

Lawsy
17-04-2008, 02:29 PM
dont yet to go on the dyno...and wont be able to tell now untill i get a new box...dave has a heavy duty button clutch he will supply me for cheap...and some pressure plates too...

So you can destroy the new gearbox on your first drive out?

Dude, you need to get yourself a slightly stronger, standard replacement from a reputable brand. Anything more, and you'll be going through this same process in a matter of months.

bourbon
17-04-2008, 02:32 PM
exactly what do i need? i dont want to keep burning a clutch out either...my engine isnt standard either...

Rupewrecht
17-04-2008, 02:36 PM
I disagree to a certain extent - a lot of it is related to how you drive it.

I've had a stock G in my car for well over a year with a 2100lbs pressure plate/carbon clutch and have had no issues with the box, and i've got a lot more torque going thru my box.

But i do agree that if you've got a low powered Astina, then a HD clutch (not a button) is fine. Buttons are a bit harsh (on/off), and IMO don't have enough slip for a daily driven Astina - and they go thru F series gearboxes like butter LOL

Putonyourshoes
17-04-2008, 02:55 PM
this is probably a stupid question.. but are any of the g series gears straight cut from stock?
and... how come its harder to break 1 and second compared to 3rd?

Rupewrecht
17-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Only reverse is ever straight cut in any normal gearbox. Straight cut gears are too noisy for 90% of drivers.

3rd is usually the gear broken in F and G boxes, not 1st/2nd. 3rd is more or less in the middle of the box, and as the box casing flexes, the teeth of 3rd can move apart more than 1st/2nd and all the force is put on the edge of the teeth, rather than the whole tooth.

Bourbon is just weird :p

Putonyourshoes
17-04-2008, 03:03 PM
oh nice :) is the winding sort of whining noise in reverse because its straight cut (its rather intoxicating)?
cheers rupe

Rupewrecht
17-04-2008, 03:05 PM
oh nice :) is the winding sort of whining noise in reverse because its straight cut (its rather intoxicating)?

Correct!

bourbon
17-04-2008, 03:08 PM
sure am...sorry i dont no much about clutchs...know what is a standard strength??? and what is a heavy duty strength and a button types strength?

chris-cool
17-04-2008, 03:16 PM
I decided on buying the stock front bar for the Astina.

I bought a brand new one this afternoon, and just sprayed it in primer. Here's a picture, Not bad for a first attempt at doing anything of this kind before:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/chris-cool/000_0001-15.jpg

bourbon
17-04-2008, 03:17 PM
where did ya buy that from :p

chris-cool
17-04-2008, 05:33 PM
finished result:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/chris-cool/000_0006-14.jpg

not the best, but it'll do until the car gets a full respray.

Lawsy
18-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Hit it with some clear and it will look mint

gtarone
18-04-2008, 01:04 PM
Bought some personalized plates for my car, Silver on black, slimline at the front, standard size at the back, awaiting delivery:

45TNA

Shibby.

chris-cool
18-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Hit it with some clear and it will look mint

Yeah, It's only the first coat in that picture :). Going to go do another coat now.

Lawsy
18-04-2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah, It's only the first coat in that picture :). Going to go do another coat now.

Very good; it should look tops mate :)

mussing
19-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Haven't done anything about it yet, but I realised that my brake light was coming on sometimes without the handbrake being on. Searched the forums and found out I probably need to top up the brake fluid. I'll grab some from Supercheap sometime soon. Thanks once more for having the info :)

chris-cool
20-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Update:

After some grinding here and there, Jonno managed to attach the intercooler:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/chris-cool/000_0002-23.jpg

Only a small amount of hackage to the front bar:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/chris-cool/Image2-5.jpg

The intercooler sits a little lower than the stock front bar, but that's ok as I'm going to get a lip for the bottom of the bar.

smithy
20-04-2008, 04:23 PM
http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t143/ozzyrex1200r/1995%20mazda%20astina%20V6%20hardtop/Before%20and%20after%20lowering/
Lowered mine with whiteline flat out springs and KYB struts.:D

project.r.racing
20-04-2008, 05:43 PM
look at the size of that FMIC!!!!!

does Jono own a red/white TX3?

chris-cool
20-04-2008, 05:56 PM
look at the size of that FMIC!!!!!

does Jono own a red/white TX3?

Jonno has a white tx3, with full body kit and some red interior.

marcs_sp20
20-04-2008, 07:34 PM
What was wrong with the PWR cooler, cause I thought that was custom made or something...

Plutonus
20-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Today I emptied all the crap out of it for the panel beater trip!

Rupewrecht
20-04-2008, 09:31 PM
Adjusted the idle and the BOV, took out the black MS seat and put the white one back in (as i've decided to keep the white ones), and anchored my sub box a little better.

outbakoz
20-04-2008, 09:38 PM
So does that mean the black ones are up for grabs Rupe? and if so how much?

Rupewrecht
20-04-2008, 09:56 PM
So does that mean the black ones are up for grabs Rupe? and if so how much?

Yeah, they'll be up for sale soonish.

rodhog
20-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Rain - no cars but have been polishing off some stuff at t5he same time polishing off a few drinks. I think I eat some metal polish at the same time actually.

project.r.racing
21-04-2008, 06:26 AM
Rain - no cars but have been polishing off some stuff at t5he same time polishing off a few drinks. I think I eat some metal polish at the same time actually.so too many drinks huh before typing this above post? lol

i did my spark plugs today, noticed alot of oil on the treading of no.4, so will have to investigate that out at some stage.

Lawsy
21-04-2008, 09:43 AM
I change my IAC valve and it didn't do anything, it has a mind of its own now, with what seems like no purpose at all..... Lame.

So in reality my idle has gone from a constant 1000, to a now variable 800-1300.

Dogo
21-04-2008, 10:07 AM
800 is normal

1300 is probably normal when its cold
Maybe it doesnt know the engine temp. Is the temp guage working ?

Have you tried checking for error codes ? Search the site - there's info somewhere.

phly
21-04-2008, 12:06 PM
Got my lotus style skirts installed on the weekend. Probably shouldve used the money to fix my idle problem though LOL. I'll get round to it soon.

DavoAust
21-04-2008, 01:14 PM
lawsy my BP idles at 750, a touch above 1000 when cold with no issues. try turning the idle down a little

Plutonus
21-04-2008, 03:54 PM
Handed over the keys to the panel beater, no car for 8 days *tear*.

rodhog
21-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Handed over the keys to the panel beater, no car for 8 days *tear*.

car's been in my panel beater since - 6th of FEb this year. - He said 6 to 8 weeks.

89sp1.8
25-04-2008, 06:14 PM
finally put new bushes in front sway links,replaced front strut,replaced another fuel pump/upgraded also..and found out my speedo cable has snapped.

marcs_sp20
26-04-2008, 12:37 AM
Checked all fluids after last nights drive to the coast, washed and vacuumed aswell as put my eyelids on thursday arvo...

project.r.racing
27-04-2008, 06:03 AM
drove it over a raised bumps and smacked the sump and engine rail against the tarmac 3 times. over cooked the brakes and tyres between beerburrem, beerwah, peachester and kilcoy.

suspension is getting a complete overhaul asap with hieght being raised 20mm and it to becorner weighted evenly between 4 four wheels.

chris-cool
27-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Yesterday:

VF10:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/chris-cool/000_0014-7.jpg

Intercooler Pipes and BOV:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/chris-cool/000_0016-7.jpg

02-KQ-LASR
30-04-2008, 11:25 AM
iv installed a front strut bar the toher day, i ripped out all old boot install and have started to measure up and design a new setup, and i am waiting to hear back from an engineer to get 18;s put on.
other than that coz its raining all the time the car is covered in dirt etc.

Rupewrecht
30-04-2008, 11:47 AM
I put some MX5 rims on the Hardtop last night...

http://rupewrecht.com/astina/misc/astina_mx5wheels.jpg

...as i've sold the OZ Racing 'Polaris'.

and finally remembered to take a pic of the nice little MS badge i've had in for a few weeks.

http://rupewrecht.com/astina/interior/ms_dashbadge.jpg

marcs_sp20
30-04-2008, 12:11 PM
I put some MX5 rims on the Hardtop last night...

http://rupewrecht.com/astina/misc/astina_mx5wheels.jpg

...as i've sold the OZ Racing 'Polaris'.

and finally remembered to take a pic of the nice little MS badge i've had in for a few weeks.

http://rupewrecht.com/astina/interior/ms_dashbadge.jpg

Oh God, it really does look like a dunger now :p who got the said rims??

Where and how much was that badge? I want one!!! :D:D:D

Rupewrecht
30-04-2008, 12:28 PM
Oh God, it really does look like a dunger now :p who got the said rims??

Where and how much was that badge? I want one!!! :D:D:D

yeah, it's quite ghetto now LOL. I'll let the new owner reveal the rims when they get them on.

And that chrome metal MS badge was off the YJ auctions. Never seem one before or since, but it's off a Eunos Roadster/MX5 (and actually sticks over the Eunos badge on the boot). Not cheap!

marcs_sp20
30-04-2008, 12:38 PM
And that chrome metal MS badge was off the YJ auctions. Never seem one before or since, but it's off a Eunos Roadster/MX5 (and actually sticks over the Eunos badge on the boot). Not cheap!

Ah true, well if another comes up can ya let me know? would look good on the cup holder cover in mine, like where bradsp20 has his protege323 badge...

89sp1.8
30-04-2008, 05:38 PM
replaced fuel pressure regulator,mine was playing up.

Lawsy
01-05-2008, 12:16 AM
Changed my rear brake pads.

Went to change the rear swaybar linkages with fatass nolathane ones, but I didn't have the right size die to increase the thread length towards the middle (I knew I'd have to, but when done I'll have slightly shorter linkages, increasing the pre tension on the bar, which in turn will ramp its torsion rate up. Yes, my car is beginning to handle quite well). When I bother getting the front strut bar (badly needed) and eventually an anti lift kit, and a 5mm spring packer for the front, she'll be the best handling astina on the road :P

Lets just say that keeping to the speed limit (80), and never going below said limit through section one of old pac is about as easy as falling asleep with anesthetic.

Infact, its easier.

The only hard part is not falling out of my standard SOHC seats.

Plutonus
01-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Shiny badge! I wants. It's rounded though? What kind of car has a round badge :p

Lawsy
02-05-2008, 12:47 AM
Sway bar links now with extra thread and tension (the bushings that I'm using now are about twice the diameter of the ones recommended for astina's. Thus, I can tighten them more, and the load will be distributed more evenly so the same overall pressure is applied to the bush, while giving the bar a more 'direct' feel, all at the same time :). Aren't I a clever dick? Maybe just a dick... ).
BTW, my links are always on an angle, as the arm length of the swaybar is about half an inch too long. This means I have to tighten them up even more... Which is a bit annoying, because one side of the bush is far too tight, and the other side is only just tight enough...
These are meant to be custom bent sway bars, too, and they still couldn't get it right... (then again, because of the stuff around, I didn't pay for the custom job, but still it would have been nice... It would have increased the apparent rate of the bar though; which would be sick!).

Anyways, I can easily get the tail to swing in the dry now, with a "turn-in-lift-off-then-flick-the-other-way" maneuver, but without a whole lot of input (not a massive pendulum attempt required). It allows me to control the tail of the car with the throttle, its great. You setup the car for the corner, load the outside up, ease off just slightly before the apex, then nail it again. The nose tucks in allowing you to just point out of the corner with full throttle (well half throttle to most here, as my full throttle pales in comparison). It feels so rock solid stable at speed too. Love it! Just need that strut brace and anti lift kit now to get the front end a little more sorted ><

OZY-323
02-05-2008, 10:13 AM
ripped out the complete sound systema and temp boot install, and measuring up and getting set to rip out the suspension and change, and remove hubs for bearing installation....BIG weekend aheadvery BIG. tinkered with the air intake?? new pod filter installed, and given the engine bay a BIG degrease 3 cans of it!!! hahahaha

Plutonus
02-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Opened up the door trim and fixed a few rattles. Anyone know how to get the window to stop rattling and moving about?

OZY-323
02-05-2008, 12:30 PM
super glue! fixes everyhting??? hahaha nah...not sure i have that same problem with drivers side window. it sometimes scratches as it goes down!

Putonyourshoes
02-05-2008, 12:37 PM
i have the same problem.
if super glue cant fix it duct tape can!!

bourbon
02-05-2008, 12:45 PM
if your window is scratching replace the pads that go in the door that have likea felt on them...

Plutonus
02-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Please stop the rattling! For the love of god! :p

Yeah, my driver window does that too. Part number? $$$?

marcs_sp20
02-05-2008, 12:48 PM
Opened up the door trim and fixed a few rattles. Anyone know how to get the window to stop rattling and moving about?

Take it back to the panel beaters...

Plutonus
02-05-2008, 01:01 PM
Sure - that door isnt the problem though :p

chris-cool
03-05-2008, 02:01 PM
The astina got a wash and polish.

BOV was fixed.

That's it really.

barby
03-05-2008, 05:43 PM
put my rims on
http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc181/ba_rby/mybling.jpg

marcs_sp20
03-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Different!

mill_mobile
03-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Yeah Barby, different, but personally i dont go much on it, but if it works for you:D
edit: if you hadnt of done the yellow to the rims i would have rated it.

barby
03-05-2008, 05:56 PM
yer i wanted different everyone around here has same so i found something no one has im still not sure if i like it but its different hehe

barby
03-05-2008, 05:59 PM
[QUOTE=
edit: if you hadnt of done the yellow to the rims i would have rated it.[/QUOTE]

the rims com with the yellow bits they can come in any colour hehe

Plutonus
03-05-2008, 07:09 PM
http://plutonus.net/images/euro-wanna/rims/1.jpg

DavoAust
03-05-2008, 09:09 PM
do i see new rims plutonus? they look similar to dans old ones, you aren't the buyer are you? side on pic pls :)

mrpayner
03-05-2008, 09:51 PM
ah so that's what they would have looked like if dan had of sold them to me 3 years ago! :p

Nice one Plutonus, get some sexy photos done.. who knows, it might even warrant a new AGT magazine cover (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3544)..

Adz

89sp1.8
04-05-2008, 12:44 AM
replaced speedo cable,bit noisy atm,needs bit of grease on the tip.
put spotties back on for couple mountain runs.
found out have small leak in manifold,making car run bit rich atm.
fun fun

project.r.racing
04-05-2008, 06:42 AM
http://plutonus.net/images/euro-wanna/rims/1.jpgmuch better on a sexy hatch. been such a waste on a hardtop for so many years. hahahahahahahahaha

Rupewrecht
04-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Put standard V6 suspension in the car. I seem to be on a quest to return it to stock...

Putonyourshoes
04-05-2008, 10:02 PM
why dan??? ahaha
does anyone know how to stop my door cards from falling away from the door?:(
the tools at tynans sutherland broke all the attachments

marcs_sp20
05-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Washed, chamoised, polished, vacuumed & lubricated the Lancer today, total 4 hours to fully detail... Was a bit naughty and washed at home with all the water restrictions :eek: I would post pics but the camera died!!

RedLineResident
05-05-2008, 10:12 PM
wait wait...

stock suspension dan?

what have you done with the coilovers?

bourbon
06-05-2008, 09:28 AM
dan has given me his suspension :p haha

Rupewrecht
06-05-2008, 09:48 AM
dan has given me his suspension :p haha

true! ;)

Putonyourshoes
06-05-2008, 09:55 AM
is it going to be on different suspension soon?

Rupewrecht
06-05-2008, 09:59 AM
Nah, it's just getting rebuilt at a place next to Panel House, that's all!

Buzz_LightYear
11-05-2008, 08:10 PM
well i washed it so its nice and shiny XD and put my new headunit it

89sp1.8
11-05-2008, 08:53 PM
hooked up oil pressure guage..into the knock sensor aparently:P
so yeah gotta change that,guage works..just doesnt read any pressure:P

astina_hardtop97
12-05-2008, 04:18 PM
finished step 2:
replaced my heater core and fan switch...what a c@#t of a job.
going to take weeks for the skin to grow back on my knuckles
got it fixed though and for only $200 and 3hrs all up including new hoses and i had no bolts left over at the end which i was happy about.
swapped the HU aswell so now i can listen to quality tunes
p.s. mazda wanted $1070 for a heater core and $1400 for the fan control unit
who the hell would pay that?.
step 3: i'll be lowering it with new shocks and springs
step 4: 15% tints all round after rego's due
step 1 was new 17x7 black apache rims

RedLineResident
12-05-2008, 04:23 PM
so you didn't sell it in the end?

good to see its getting modded

OZY-323
12-05-2008, 04:26 PM
yessss, finally changed those retched shocks, thanks dan!
now sourcing some springs!
so much easier when you have a breaker bar!

Dogo
12-05-2008, 05:23 PM
Nah, it's just getting rebuilt at a place next to Panel House, that's all!

I want to get mine rebuilt too.

( remember that one was leaking oil when I got them Dan - I have noticed it seems rougher than the others )

So pls tell me if you're happy with their work and price - I might send mine up when I get back from holiday in August

mrpayner
12-05-2008, 07:43 PM
I put the RX8 rims on the Luxo6.. Looks great! Just need to lower it a smidge now.

Adz

bourbon
12-05-2008, 08:53 PM
picsorban :p hahah

mrpayner
12-05-2008, 10:02 PM
yeh i'll get some pics throughout the week.. there's a gathering happening over the weekend [hopefully] so i'll get some then..

Adzd

astina_hardtop97
13-05-2008, 09:16 AM
yeah keeping it now..unless someone wants it but i'm not advertising it
i'm selling my gf's vitara instead and giving her my commodore wagon
the little mazda only uses 9l/100km in heavy traffic and never breaks down apart from a leaky heater core and some split hoses.
if anyone used king springs to lower their BA astina send some pics to whereswes@gmail.com i just want to see if they are low enought as they only sell sl's (30mm lower) and does everyone scrape their nose on gutter and driveways...

mrpayner
13-05-2008, 06:39 PM
whiteline also sell super lows.. they're called "flatout".. you can see what my BA Hatch looked like with the whitelines here (http://www.mrpayner.com/gallery2/thumbnails.php?album=4) [this is with 15's only though]

Adz

DavoAust
13-05-2008, 07:54 PM
thats looks hot. how did you go with scrubbing? i'm tossing up control or flatout. i like good handling but i don't want a half drop

02-KQ-LASR
13-05-2008, 09:15 PM
i removed my 17's and put the stockies on in preparation for my new rims tomorrow...
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd223/redrocketluke/DSC00442.jpg

DarkMaTTer
14-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Getting new tint put on my windows. Considering I was having problems looking out my blind spot, this is a safety as well as vanity thing.

DarkMaTTer
14-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Got my car back - looks good.

Tomorrow it goes in to finally get lowered.

Lawsy
14-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Just washed it, looks charcoal again, instead of light brown.....

02-KQ-LASR
14-05-2008, 09:37 PM
my laser turned into a hilux.... for tonight!!
im usin a loaner car till i get my new rims put on and engineered tommorrow morn..

marcs_sp20
14-05-2008, 09:53 PM
put new parker bulbs in from ivan, now I have made a thread in interior & elecs on what I should do to get the rest the same :p

mrpayner
14-05-2008, 10:48 PM
thats looks hot. how did you go with scrubbing? i'm tossing up control or flatout. i like good handling but i don't want a half drop
No scrubbing at all, but like i said i only had 15's on.. Unfortuantely i didn't get the chance to change the wheels to 17's.. I also had Koni Reds installed to sort out the damping. The Koni's are setup for rebound damping, so the bump was mainly controlled via the coils and the rebound was controlled by the damper [shock].. I had the Koni Reds adjusted to 50% stiffness as these shocks are adjustable however you have to do this before installation. The Koni Yellows can be adjusted "on the fly".. Together with a rear sway and a front strut bar the suspension was well sorted on my BA.. Tony [Xedos/BigBoyLemonade] commented on it's niceness when he was down in Melbourne one weekend, Rupey was with me too..

Adz

02-KQ-LASR
15-05-2008, 02:29 PM
got my new 18's on!

barby
15-05-2008, 04:36 PM
got my new 18's on!
pic plz

89sp1.8
15-05-2008, 06:04 PM
pic plz

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11926

02-KQ-LASR
15-05-2008, 06:58 PM
i didnt even need to post a link! lol

project.r.racing
17-05-2008, 05:34 PM
dragged it from the passenger door hand to fuel cap along a parked excel's bumper. :(

OZY-323
18-05-2008, 11:33 AM
ouch!
well im taking off the hubs to replace the bearings, took my wheel in to special fx wheel repairs cause it buckled, $115 to fix, compared to ozzy tyres $180-$200 hahahaha yeah right!

89sp1.8
18-05-2008, 12:44 PM
dragged it from the passenger door hand to fuel cap along a parked excel's bumper. :(

ahh that sucks..any pics of damage or idea of cost?

mrpayner
18-05-2008, 07:43 PM
I put the RX8 rims on the Luxo6.. Looks great! Just need to lower it a smidge now.

More piccies this week, needs a wash and a great location..

http://www.mrpayner.com/images/mazda6/IMG_0025a.jpg

marcs_sp20
19-05-2008, 08:08 AM
Now thats hot! What are you doing with your 17's??

ROB-80E
19-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Haven't done anything today...but yesturday i ran a 12.1 sec 1/4 mile!! :D:D:D

DavoAust
19-05-2008, 02:36 PM
very nice. new tune? what was the 60 foot time?

89sp1.8
19-05-2008, 03:02 PM
Haven't done anything today...but yesturday i ran a 12.1 sec 1/4 mile!! :D:D:D

nice one rob,get any vids? link if so:)

ROB-80E
19-05-2008, 03:32 PM
very nice. new tune? what was the 60 foot time?
Only the tune i got back in March. 60ft was 1.829

nice one rob,get any vids? link if so:)

Not of the 12.1 run yet. I have a 12.3 that i've uploaded. mcwilly has footage and another mate also, will post the 12.1 as soon as it's in my hot little hand.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yo9EMXnyz4

Putonyourshoes
19-05-2008, 03:53 PM
that is ridiculous! congrats rob!

89sp1.8
19-05-2008, 05:06 PM
nice one,yeah caught glimps of it on fl,cars sounding good

89sp1.8
19-05-2008, 05:08 PM
thisarv got my self some speedflow fittings and braided line to relocate my oil pressure sender,as not enough room to screw it into the block straight.

mrpayner
19-05-2008, 06:16 PM
Now thats hot! What are you doing with your 17's??
Well the previous owner gutter rashed them pretty good.. so i don't know what i'm going to do with them.. :confused:

Putonyourshoes
19-05-2008, 09:49 PM
(regestering interest in 17's depending on tire tread) hahaha

marcs_sp20
19-05-2008, 11:02 PM
Well the previous owner gutter rashed them pretty good.. so i don't know what i'm going to do with them.. :confused:

How bad? rash puts me off a little, depending on how bad... I want Maz 6 rims!!!

DarkMaTTer
21-05-2008, 06:56 PM
Got my car back from the mechanic lowered. Looks awesome, and handles great too. Now I just have to get used to a little more bumps :D

02-KQ-LASR
27-05-2008, 01:00 PM
finally put my agt sticker on!
and also my xclusive one!

mrpayner
27-05-2008, 01:51 PM
How bad? rash puts me off a little, depending on how bad... I want Maz 6 rims!!!
I'll get some pics.. Tyre tread is worn, they all need new tyres.. [Hence why i put my 18's on!]

Adz

Rupewrecht
27-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Wired in a LED stoplight to match the rear taillights. Suits it much better.

mussing
27-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Opened my car door to take myself to the doctor, and found a big brown spider had set up camp in the door seal thingy. Then I checked the other three and found similar spidey webs in there as well. Ack!

He said hello to my friend the stick, and then to my shoe. The bastard.

Plutonus
27-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Obsessed over my paranoia that the rear passenger wheel/tyre sticks out more then the driver side one.

andrewck
27-05-2008, 08:49 PM
My SP20 is in getting repaired as I speak should be back by Friday all fixed and looking like new

marcs_sp20
27-05-2008, 09:03 PM
Obsessed over my paranoia that the rear passenger wheel/tyre sticks out more then the driver side one.

Could it be that the axle was bent/disaligned from the acco???

DavoAust
27-05-2008, 09:47 PM
or his guard was flattened a bit, its more likely

Rupewrecht
27-05-2008, 10:32 PM
Or he has more camber on one side!

But more likely bodywork i'd think

Plutonus
28-05-2008, 12:03 AM
Geez guys, stop trying to cure my paranoia :P

Well ever since the accident it did scrape the tyre with a heavy load (yay bits of rubber coming off) but I think that was due to jagged metal. Got the damage fixed Then I put Rupe's (my) rims on and it just squeaks heaps on that wheel now when going over bumps (which is everywhere... yay NSW country roads).

Rupewrecht
28-05-2008, 12:08 AM
You may need to get the rear guard edges rolled, as they are a 215/45. And the +37 offset wouldn't help there, as they're fairly flush with the guard edges by intent.

I ran a fair bit of camber - but also had the car so low that the tops of the tyres were tucked up into the rear guards - so i didn't think you'd have a problem with only a 30-40mm drop.

Plutonus
28-05-2008, 12:11 AM
To clarify here Rupe - it doesn't scrape anymore since the damage was fixed, it just squeaks. Don't know if thats a sign for new shockies or what or if I need guards rolled.

Doesn't happen on drivers side.

Rupewrecht
28-05-2008, 12:24 AM
Ah, probably just shocks then. If it's a kind of rattly squeak, it's possibly the inverted cup at the top of the stock shocks - they have a habit of becoming loose and jiggling around a bit.

pr1mo
28-05-2008, 01:21 AM
yeah or the cup could have ripped in half and not be sitting in the seat properley. theyre $20 from mazda to replace

cheers mike

89sp1.8
02-06-2008, 04:55 PM
stirpped 3rd sat night,prepin up another box

Putonyourshoes
02-06-2008, 05:29 PM
got its 100,000 service:)

marcs_sp20
05-06-2008, 01:49 PM
last week decided to pull apart the dash, get behind the cd player and attach an AUX jack to the back so that I can play songs from the GF's Ipod. works a treat, only downsides are that you have to manually pick your songs from the ipod and charge it still from the pc... Sits nicely in the single din pocket as I drilled a hole for the jack :D

Cars getting a service on the weekend..

spedwards
05-06-2008, 01:53 PM
I did a similar thing with my AuxMod install on the factory HU, i ended up putting a stereo jack in the cup holder between the two slots:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i124/spedwards/AuxMod/AuxModInstall004Small.jpg

I'm preparing to pull the IM off this weekend to lock-tite the VICS butterfly screws and prevent another engine replacement mission!

Plutonus
05-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Got rid of my blue roof light. I'll miss you - but it started to annoy me :p

rambo
05-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Few days late, but I finally bought my car some new shoes on Tuesday. 15 inch Rodney Jane wheels, they look so much better than the hubcaps.

RedLineResident
05-06-2008, 06:47 PM
noooo... not rodney jane

good luck with it mate.

Orion
05-06-2008, 07:15 PM
I did a similar thing with my AuxMod install on the factory HU, i ended up putting a stereo jack in the cup holder between the two slots:

Thats a really good idea. Inspirational! :)

rambo
05-06-2008, 10:37 PM
noooo... not rodney jane

good luck with it mate.

Haha, I have gotten this response from a few people, is there something wrong with Rodney Jane?

shaikaka
05-06-2008, 10:54 PM
clicked over to 200,000 ks on the weekend. Celeberated by buying a new 12" kenwood sub, it's not installed yet but i have it running off of an old pc power supply in the lounge....

rodhog
05-06-2008, 11:50 PM
IMO

the Rodney Jane wheels - well

it's like this

you have

Top engineered wheels both from Factory car maker and for example Eniki (SP make mazda's and many other jap car and they make aftermarket both very high

same standard as rays

then you have

You others
Simmons - GLOBEs -
they are all top Fit engineered and finish

the Rodney jane fit below.
They are engineered well but finish is lower and it's cost saving same for so called style.

Then you have
The rest of the current aftermarket China/Korea made wheels.
The engineering is a bit questionable and the qulity fit anf finish.

It's only minor things but

for example.

You have LENSO -very good aftermarket value wheel.
the R-Janes are the same yet. You find more people like the look of the LENSO - so the cost is - ? sliglhty higher.

spedwards
06-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Thats a really good idea. Inspirational! :)
I was quite happy when I had the eureka moment :D

exile0017
07-06-2008, 11:38 AM
i spents some moneys on new wheels ftw
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/1492/photo0265bs6.th.jpg (http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo0265bs6.jpg)
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/537/photo0264va8.th.jpg (http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo0264va8.jpg)
http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/537/photo0264va8.th.jpg (http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=photo0264va8.jpg):) :) :) :)

bourbon
07-06-2008, 11:57 AM
look nice bud! just neeeds lowering now :p

RedLineResident
07-06-2008, 12:02 PM
I have a mate who works at Bob Jane Tmarts

He has told me to stay away from RJanes at all cost, due to the fact that they are weak and buckle very easily.

He has seen cars come on endless occassions with dents, buckles, twisted wheels, and all sorts of other horror stories with R Jane wheels. Having said that, some of the roads in adelaide are pretty bad.

MIZ323
07-06-2008, 02:03 PM
i got a sunroof today just not installed.. =(

chris-cool
11-06-2008, 03:00 PM
Ryan (Who bought the astina) got the car dyno tuned today, here's the results:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d112/chris-cool/dynotune.jpg

bourbon
11-06-2008, 03:18 PM
GREAT news...

also got my car back on the road on the weekend...just gotta check over eveything as there is a loud and harsh thumping...can feel it through the floor...thinking it is the cvs

bourbon
12-06-2008, 11:55 AM
just received the bulbs for my dash to change em to blue!!! :D will post up pics when its done...

gtarone
12-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Well my headlight was out lastnite, and they are only one month old bulbs, so i took the bulb out, checked the terminals, they were fine (as in they spark when i touch them together :P) and plugged the bulb in, hooked it down and worked fine, not working again today :(

bourbon
12-06-2008, 01:25 PM
do a search...BAs have this issue...its in the electrical section...i think someone posted a way to fix it...

Orion
12-06-2008, 04:35 PM
Well, I have a Protege but I figure that Im allowed to post in here too. Had a new exhaust installed this afternoon.

Soooooo much quieter than the old one. I actually had the radio off the whole way home, just listening to lack of noise and lack of drone. It just have to find all of the interior rattles that I can now hear and then fix them. :p

Has a nice growl in low revs and no pinging or raspiness up in the higher revs. Happy camper :D

Rupewrecht
12-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Well, I have a Protege but I figure that Im allowed to post in here too.

Happy now? ;) :D

02-KQ-LASR
12-06-2008, 05:01 PM

what bout me??? lol :p

Rupewrecht
12-06-2008, 05:06 PM
what bout me??? lol :p

if i added 'ford derivatives' it just got too long!

02-KQ-LASR
12-06-2008, 05:08 PM
if i added 'ford derivatives' it just got too long!

lol the title would need a thread all of its own!! lol

Orion
12-06-2008, 11:06 PM

Yes. Very. :D

The US forums have dedicated P5, (Astina SP20), Protege (1.8's and 1.6's), MP3 (Protege SP20) and MSP (turbo Protege SP20) threads for "What have you done to your ..... today? But I figure if I started one of those then it would just be me posting :(

You can put it back the way it was if you wish Rupe ;)

Cheers

Rupewrecht
12-06-2008, 11:32 PM
You can put it back the way it was if you wish Rupe ;)

haha nah, i just expected you (and owners of other cars) to post here anyway :)

gtarone
13-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Just bought a single Eunos 30x clear lens for replacing the indicator on the front of my BA. Got one just so i didn't waste money on two if they don't fit, brand new they are $47 each from Mazda, i hunted for a while and couldn't find any 2nd hand. And damn it looks like a perfect copy just clear, gonna attach tonite or tomorrow, will post pics!

mussing
14-06-2008, 01:41 PM
Brought home my shiny new Astina SP today :D

What I had: noble green 1993 Astina SOHC series 2 with 130kms on the clock

stock everything except the badge, which is the little mazda jdm red triangle
crack in the front bumper
tinting peeling on the rear windshield
scratches on bonnet and sides from when some bastard keyed it
paint chipped on the roof, faded on the back
squeaky thrust-bearing

What I have now: blue-grey 1990 Astina SP series 1 with 170kms on the clock

16" black mag wheels
2" cat-back exhaust + extractors, makes a really nice exhaust note
'Personal' racing-style steering wheel (wasn't fussed about this, just a bonus
CAI with k&n pod filter
original paint still in excellent condition
much smaller ding in the paint on the front bumper (lol!)
missing driver's side a-pillar (organised to purchase a replacement from womble) $50
cracked windshield, will replace in the next week $242
tinting peeling on the rear windshield

I did love my sohc, but I couldn't pass up the chance to upgrade. The SP was listed at $3700, I negotiated down to $3350 which adds up to about $3700 with the cracked windshield, tinting and a-pillar fixed. Needs a polish and wax, and maybe shampoo for the interior. I might also tighten the clutch pedal a bit, and get my dad to machine some brass bushes for the linkage, which is what I have on the sohc. Now I've just got to organise to sell the sohc before my next uni fees are due.

I'll take some photos of both after my uni assessments finish on Monday. Needless to say I'm very happy with my purchase.