PDA

View Full Version : Cracked radiator.

Jastel
17-08-2010, 02:38 PM
Hi guys, Today I was just cruising along and started smelling boiling water then noticed my temp guage maxed out. I pulled over and discovered a crack in the side tank. I started the engine and ran a couple of litres of water in it as well as 2 eggs and a bit of pepper which stopped the leaking but is only a temporary fix.

What should I expect to pay for a new radiator?
Is it worth getting it fixed instead?

My car is a 1997 BA 323 Astina Hatch.

Cheers
Jason

mikey_something
17-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Hi guys, Today I was just cruising along and started smelling boiling water then noticed my temp guage maxed out. I pulled over and discovered a crack in the side tank. I started the engine and ran a couple of litres of water in it as well as 2 eggs and a bit of pepper which stopped the leaking but is only a temporary fix.

What should I expect to pay for a new radiator?
Is it worth getting it fixed instead?

My car is a 1997 BA 323 Astina Hatch.

Cheers
Jason

are you serious? is this some home made secret fix i've never heard of cause it sounds awesomely hilarious.
i'm gunna sound like a dick if you're joking lol.

but i don't know about pricing sorry.

Cosmo Dude
17-08-2010, 05:28 PM
It's a real bush fix but it is only temporary and for emergencies.
It is cheaper to re-tank but now that you've put egg through your engine it's probably safer to replace the whole lot.
www.ozeparts.com.au are one source for a replacement but they've had there web site down for 'redevelopment' for 6 months now so I don't know if they are still in business. IMHO yellow pages and ringing around would probably be your best bet.

mikey_something
17-08-2010, 05:32 PM
It's a real bush fix but it is only temporary and for emergencies.
It is cheaper to re-tank but now that you've put egg through your engine it's probably safer to replace the whole lot.
www.ozeparts.com.au are one source for a replacement but they've had there web site down for 'redevelopment' for 6 months now so I don't know if they are still in business. IMHO yellow pages and ringing around would probably be your best bet.

well there you go you learn something every day.

Company: Wallsend Mufflers, Auto Air and Radiators (A1 Exhausts)

Contact Person: Richard Turner

Location/Address: Unit 2, 48 George Street, Wallsend, NSW, 2287

Phone Number: 02 49516375

Work Carried Out: Sports Exhaust System on my car

Recommended Why?: Great service, very friendly and helpful. Great prices too.

recommended from the other thread, reasonable on prices but as said ring around too :)

Jastel
17-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Cheers thanks guys, will give them a call tomorrow.

Yeah egg and pepper are a temporary fix, my old man told me about the pepper many years ago but I first saw the egg fix on an episode of MacGuyver when I was a little kid hahaha

spenaroo
17-08-2010, 06:32 PM
heard of the eggs, but pepper????? whats that meant to do. as the egg gets pushed into the crack baking and sealing it. but lost as to the pepper's purpose

Jastel
17-08-2010, 06:44 PM
heard of the eggs, but pepper????? whats that meant to do. as the egg gets pushed into the crack baking and sealing it. but lost as to the pepper's purpose

Don't know, my old man turned out to be right about wasting money and women so I just go along with the pepper thing lol

Jastel
18-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Called A1 Wallsend Mufflers and they want $320 fitted.... Said I'd fit it myself and they reckon that would void the warranty. Screw that, doesnt sound right so I'll go somewhere else.

Rupewrecht
18-08-2010, 07:00 PM
They're about $250 off eBay.

bourbon
18-08-2010, 08:11 PM
i could probably get one sent to newcastle for $250...but i dont no if youd see it by the weekend...

ohh and warranty will be void on ANY radiator you buy unless a profesional fits it and you have proof they have replaced it (reciept) and they have done a full engine/water system flush out...

$320 is a good price for it too be fitted...with a engine flush which i would recommend now since the egg & pepper have been through it ;)

Jastel
21-08-2010, 11:23 AM
Ok I need to clarify something....

I took the car into the radiator joint at Wallsend and they ordered in a new radiator for a 97 BA Mazda 1.8L manual.... now I get a phonecall stating that the new one wont fit and that my car must have a 1.6L radiator....
I can't fit the proper new one in because it mounts up all different and a 1.6L radiator will cost me $495 instead of $320 (which was dearer than the price quoted over the phone anyway).

Can somebody shed some light on this please?
Either they ordered the wrong one in or my series 3 1.8LMazda has a 1.6L Laser radiator in it complete with modified mounting assembly..........

Jastel
21-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Well I went and picked my car up and the guy was insistent that the 1997 BA came with a 1.6L engine.... because his book says so and the 1.8L one he ordered wouldnt fit because mine must have the 1.6L one in it due to some confusion or mixup at the assembly line with the Ford Laser which is exactly the same...... I could not convince him otherwise.
I then went to the wreckers and ordered a new radiator for a 1.8L BA Astina which to my utter non-surprise matched the one in my car and cost $269.

Oh and my current radiator which has egg and pepper in it is still not leaking after nearly a week lol

A1 Wallsend Mufflers = Dickheads

phildough
21-08-2010, 01:41 PM
A1 Wallsend Mufflers = Dickheads

Why would you go to a muffler shop for radiator repairs??
Thats why they are dickheads, its out of their area of specialty!

bourbon
21-08-2010, 02:13 PM
i think they must have ordered a laser one or a protege one...the protege and laser are the same radiator but is different to an astina...

70NYD
21-08-2010, 02:45 PM
oh man i have GREAT times arguing with ppl in shopps regarding things for my car (even at fkn repco or supersheit + i enjoy confrontation) i cant get through most ppls heads what the car is and what parts i am actually after.. now i find the part numbers i need and i get the parts directly, when they ask me what it is for i tell them its irrelevant

Jastel
21-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Why would you go to a muffler shop for radiator repairs??
Thats why they are dickheads, its out of their area of specialty!

Sorry I should have typed their full title - A1 Wallsend Mufflers, Auto Air & Radiators.

phildough
21-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Sorry I should have typed their full title - A1 Wallsend Mufflers, Auto Air & Radiators.

Damn, they should have known better!

Clean_Cookie
31-08-2010, 02:36 PM
not to beign another thread but i need a new radiator... does anyone know if this fits a BA 1.8 97 Manual and if its the best price around for a decent product - and has anyone bought one before! cheers,
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RADIATOR-MAZDA-323-ASTINA-BA-1994-1998-AUTOMATIC-/190379967049?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories

btw called up a few places and now sereiously confused - just want one that fits and works as it should!
ryan

70NYD
31-08-2010, 03:02 PM
logically speaking this should fit, however (and i dunno if this applies to the BA auto radiator) the transmition oil cooler ports will need to be blocked of, or you could use these ports to cool your engine oil but it would be useless. what i would suggest tho is to go out and have a look see in your car the phisical dimensions of the core and compare it, cus something MIGHT get in the way, but i THINK they should both be the same (apart for the auto radiator having the oil cooler usually blah blah blah)

edit
just checked my core and the dimensions are the same, so either i have a auto radiator in myn, or they are same (ie dont have the oil cooler built in) or same dimensions but the water cooling part is smaller in the auto radiator.. im confused someone else will answer this a little better :)

tony

Clean_Cookie
31-08-2010, 03:16 PM
lol tony i think everyone is confused at the moment! especially the shops. will probs end up getting one off greg becuase he is the only shop ive dealt with to date who has answered my stupid questions and provided me with the correct part every time. and still $150+ cheaper than i was quoted fitted from the mechanic (which would equate to roughly the same price!)

Jastel
31-08-2010, 03:43 PM
Looks ok to me, the auto cooling lines on my new one are blocked off with adhesive-backed cardboard...

http://a.imageshack.us/img691/5738/280820101043.jpg

I got mine brand new from a wreckers for $269, they went out with a book and matched the radiator.