AstinaGT Forums

AstinaGT Forums (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Group Buys & Special Offers (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   GI: Autoexe Chassis Bracing (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19185)

Ice88 03-05-2012 08:27 PM

GI: Autoexe Chassis Bracing

Hey guys,

So one of my friends actually has a complete set of these, was wondering if there was any interest in having these copied?

Looking at about ~$350-400 shipped (thats about best guess I can make atm). Pending on numbers and final quote.

Hoping to get 10 people between here and the states.

1. Kris

JDM323 04-05-2012 05:27 AM

2. shaley 323

marcs_sp20 04-05-2012 11:19 AM

General Questions:

Whos putting the original braces up to be made for all, phil im guessing?
What braces are being mocked up?(I know you said the whole set, but what does entail?)
Who will be making these up? And what strength steel?
Will these be painted?
ETA for parts to be made ready to be purchased?

Edit: I see your GI Thread on Mazdas247 has been locked, someone obviously dont like ya :confused:

BG1.8sp 04-05-2012 11:53 AM

Seconded all of Marcs Post.
Possibly in for this depending on this extra info.

swift jimmy 04-05-2012 12:01 PM

interested aswell but need more info would be great :-)

Ben 04-05-2012 01:44 PM

I'm going to be a noob, but you learn things from asking noob things... But what benefit does this actually have? I understand its a chassis bracing, it obviously toughens up the chassis... But, why? haha What's the benefit of doing this?

JDM323 04-05-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben (Post 290748)
I'm going to be a noob, but you learn things from asking noob things... But what benefit does this actually have? I understand its a chassis bracing, it obviously toughens up the chassis... But, why? haha What's the benefit of doing this?

less chassis movement means suspension keeps alignment better = better handling.

BG1.8sp 04-05-2012 04:33 PM

Chassis Braces
Even though it is made of steel (and whatever else), the chassis and body of every car flexes. As a car progresses through a turn, the forces involved will cause the car to twist. This needs to be minimized.
This twisting is not the slanting of body roll as the springs stretch on one side and compress on the other. This is an actual twisting of the floor pan and body panels. Like the flexing of a suspension system, this twisting impacts the tire contact patches, and in fact affects the suspension system by changing the suspension system's alignment with the body and with the road surface.
The most common after market street modification to reduce twisting is to add shock tower braces. The car's body structure by necessity has several very large cutouts to accommodate doors and windows, the engine hood, and the trunk or hatchback door. These holes, like large holes cut out of a box, reduce the strength of the body and make it easier for the car to twist.
Shock tower bars add a solid bar across the tops of the shock towers (they just happen to be a convenient point that can be connected with a straight or nearly straight bar) to fill the gaps in two of the largest holes--across the engine bay and across the trunk cavity. During cornering these bars add strength and reduce the overall twisting of the body.
Aftermarket tower braces are typically fairly easy bolt-in items. In addition to installing these, shops which specialize in modifying your particular car may also know of unique weak spots in the car's chassis that benefit from special bracing as well.
Is one bar style or make going to be functionally better than another. Probably, but overall they're all going to be very close, and likely beyond your ability to tell the difference. Some cars are going to accommodate bars which go directly from one tower to the other. Other cars may not have space in the engine bay to do this, and may instead connect the shock towers to the firewall. Likewise, some cars will have room for rear tower bars, and others will not.

There is a bit of a read for u.
Long story short. Stops the chasis from flexing and twisting under cornering.
If you can keep the chasis from flexing, you can keep the suspension geometry how it's supposed to be.
Also you end up with better steering response, due to the much better weight transfer and a more predictable car.

Ice88 04-05-2012 07:20 PM

Basically the stuff here:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...aces-installed

As for what it'll be made of good question, don't know the steel will ask. Honestly figured that given he knew what they where for they'd select an appropriate material. Maybe not the worlds best but something that is fit for purpose.

Yeah Phils. As for painting no I wasn't going to bother, didn't cross my mind that people would want these painted tbh. Was gonna paint them red myself...

Edit: as for eta next month n a bit :)

TheMAN 04-05-2012 07:27 PM

best to powder coat them for durability against the elements

your car will actually ride SMOOTHER and QUIETER with those braces because of less chassis flex... the major benefit of course is much improved handling :D

I suggest posting this on club323f also... the brits might be interested too ;)

marcs_sp20 04-05-2012 07:37 PM

I can see 20+ sets probably going to the states on its own.

Put me down as a maybe at this moment, as engine swap over parts & the other car take priority at the moment..

TheMAN 04-05-2012 07:46 PM

I don't know... many yanks don't want to put up that much money up front... most of the hardcore protege owners have moved on years ago... there's a new cycle of owners lately though, so who knows...

Ben 04-05-2012 08:03 PM

Thanks guys i dont feel nooby now :p Looks like a great product. I'll think about it.

Clean_Cookie 04-05-2012 08:06 PM

Watch out for copyright stuff if you start making 50 sets...

TheMAN 04-05-2012 08:46 PM

I don't think it's a problem
I don't think AutoExe has no IP rights overseas... if they had to begin with, they would've sued companies that make the GT Spec and KMR braces OR made the courts put permanent injunctions against sales in the primary export markets long ago (the GT spec tie bar is a direct knock off of the Autoexe and Cusco lower arm bar, and there's braces for newer mazdas that are exact copies of the Autoexe ones)

besides, they gave up on us years ago when they stopped selling/making these... so I say it's open season!

BG1.8sp 05-05-2012 04:51 PM

Just realised... No LCA brace? :(
And unpainted is better for me. I wanna do mine black if I get them.
Re paint/ tar all the under body and keep everything black and 'stock' Lol
I don't need any more attention from cops

TheMAN 05-05-2012 07:34 PM

you can't see those braces at casual glance, nor from behind the car

like I said... better off getting them powder coated... I'm sure black can be done easily

I don't see a reason to copy the lower arm bar when you can still get the real mccoy new... you can even get the cusco one if you want blue... they're both the same! copying it just adds cost/time... the autoexe/cusco lower arm bars are aluminium also, so it's harder to make! and half the people who are interested already have the lower arm bars anyway

BG1.8sp 05-05-2012 11:42 PM

Usually when I get seen by a cop I also get pulled over (P plate) and usually the cops go looking around under my car. Lol.
And yeah, I know,! Just thought it would have been good if it was included for that price. :p
Still down for these tho
I would just paint mine, reason being... It's free! :p

Ben 06-05-2012 02:48 PM

Just want to put it out there, NSW cops must be stupid. When i was on my P plates i NEVER got pulled over and i had a lowered loud lancer, typical rice, then had a commodore. Never was i once pulled over. The first day i got my SP20, i got pulled over for having fog lights on, talked my way out of it though haha.

I might be in for this, going to the meet last night makes me want to do more things to my car!

BG1.8sp 06-05-2012 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ben (Post 290871)
Just want to put it out there, NSW cops must be stupid

Short answer.... Yes! (mainly highway patrol)

Quote:

Going to the meet lastnight makes me want to do more things to my car!
Generally has that effect! If you Want to stop spending money on your car never go to a meet :p

Also just a note with these braces, Mabey it's a good idea to supply the hardware needed with these too? And just have them as a complete kit.