AstinaGT Forums

AstinaGT Forums (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive Talk (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   No longer modless!!!! (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6868)

LordWorm 14-06-2006 10:34 PM

No longer modless!!!!

Ok, started a performance parts company..thought it was about time my car got some performance treatment!!!!

This "mod" was only really taken as the opertunity came up..I wasnt thinking of getting this first....and was actually last on my list for the "stage 1 upgrade"...but I got a second hand set of the 95 durometer AWR engine mounts for the BJ2 for a great price, and had to have them.

Glad I got them too! Put the front one in tonight, and the stocko front one is CACTUS...which explains away most of my serious tramp issues.

Gave the car an absolute ring stinging on the way home to see what a diff it made, and its really improved the traction off the mark, and reduced tramp especially while power out of a corner which was amplifying my torque steer quite a bit previously.

Ok so now I'm modded! :) whats next?

We're devleoping a BJ cold air so my car will be the guinea pig..I think thats next...Then custom header and exhaust....closely followed by microtech LT10s with X4, 4 coils and wideband dataloggin.

Also somewhere in there i'm getting new rubber (tax return).

Very happy with my new addition..can't wait to get hte rear one in for some extra goodness =)

twilightprotege 14-06-2006 10:50 PM

you mean the stocko one was completely ripped away on one side...

LordWorm 14-06-2006 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twilightprotege
you mean the stocko one was completely ripped away on one side...

yes
cactus
stuffed
bugged
rooted
shagged
mangled
demasticated
dead.
f*cked.
:)

boostedbatman 15-06-2006 04:00 AM

Well you dont have long tilll Jambo in the Grand Scheme of things so I am glad the road has been laid, now get with the modding then ey!
Bout time I stuck that to another :D

LordWorm 15-06-2006 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boostedbatman
Well you dont have long tilll Jambo in the Grand Scheme of things so I am glad the road has been laid, now get with the modding then ey!
Bout time I stuck that to another :D

Yeh gotta go faster!!!
Given the amount of damage to the stocko front engine mount... I reckon the new ones are going to give a marked improvement to 60 foot times. So i'm going to guess tehy are worth a 15.9sec pass to me

Cold air will hopefully give me another 0.1

Custom header and exhaust, 0.2

Microtech 0.4

That gets me to 15.2 seconds... which is still what, 3 tenths off the pace for qualifying....finding those 3 tenths is not going to be overly easy.... Cams are the only thing I can think of that'll do it for me without resorting to fun stuff like flywheel and the like....maybe should add them to the list also =)

arden 15-06-2006 10:26 AM

got any pics of the damaged mount?
how many kays has ur car done?

LordWorm 15-06-2006 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arden
got any pics of the damaged mount?
how many kays has ur car done?

Car has done just over 50 000.

No pics yet, if I remember i'll take some tonight.

Essentially, the rubber bushing has torn right through on one side, so the other side is just flapping around.. it would have probably doubled the amount of movement allowed in the front of the motor... nasty.

I think the reason why it ripped was pretty clear. Twiggy was under my car undoing the bolts to get it off, and noticed they were nowhere near tight enough (only hand tightened)...and there was heaps of free play... so at some point, my car has been serviced and the mount has been removed...then put back in and not tightened.

Who cares now though, I have absolutely zero movement in the front of the engine now...and by the end of the weekend i'll have absolutely zero movement in the engine at all. it'll be stuck nice and good.

I've decided to leave the sides alone...because after watching the motor while it revs, it is very clear that the side mounts do not have any baring over forwards or backwards rocking. they are holding the engine up and thats about it....and AWR don't make side mounts, only inserts...the difference which I do not personally believe would be great enough to warrent spending the extra cash... motor just does not move on the side mounts....

platypus 15-06-2006 12:44 PM

will make a difference to handling... if drag racing is your aim, don't bother - if track work or even just nebo runs are your aim then do somehting with them....

LordWorm 15-06-2006 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platypus
will make a difference to handling... if drag racing is your aim, don't bother - if track work or even just nebo runs are your aim then do somehting with them....

the car is being built to go fast in a straight line.

it'll have the usual whiteline gizmos that all BJ owners seem to do, so it'll hold its own on a nebo run, but it is by no stretch of the imagination going to be a mountain goat like some people have built.

boostedbatman 15-06-2006 04:29 PM

He he mountain goat :D
Please dont tell me you are going to try to hit sub 15s on your stock clutch :eek:
Or did you not post that as its not a "power mod"
Sorry just had to clarify that
Goog luck with it Greggles

project.r.racing 15-06-2006 04:39 PM

Quote:

yeah goog luck with it, hehe :D

LordWorm 15-06-2006 04:51 PM

Quote:

He he mountain goat :D
Please dont tell me you are going to try to hit sub 15s on your stock clutch :eek:
Or did you not post that as its not a "power mod"
Sorry just had to clarify that

I will go as far as the stock clutch will take me. Gearbox is coming off ONCE..which makes it an expensive exersize (LSD, Flywheel and Clutch..). So i'm going to try and get the mileage out of what i've got.

I am confident that the clutch is safe to low 15s...given Kurt had no grief, and its POSSIBLE that the oil leak killed andrew's stock clutch as it did his clutchmaster....its a risk i'm willing to take....if i get towed, then i change it...if i dont get towed, i get through the first round of jambo and have put off spending a big whack of money that can be spent elsewhere.

The only thing that worries me is it has had a very minor on street slip... but has never done it again even at the track with 4k rpm launches and riding it hard out of first......it feels a bit funny in the engagement point seems to move....so i dunno..it might die...*shrug*

So i guess my answer is yes, I am going to attempt to go sub 15 on stock clutch.....but I know in the back of my mind that its only a matter of time that before that kind of abuse kills it... you've said before you're amazed my clutch has withstood the abuse i've already given it... 20 odd runs down the quarter, the last 10 at reasonably insane launch RPM....

platypus 15-06-2006 06:11 PM

strut bracing i thought would slow a drag time?

LordWorm 15-06-2006 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by platypus
strut bracing i thought would slow a drag time?

Prob...specially in the rear, it'd jsut be extra weight...have to get a custom rear strut brace made anyway..but that'll get pulled out for racing....front strutbrace...well...i'll just leave it there...cbf pulling it off every time i wanna race.

project.r.racing 15-06-2006 10:31 PM

just get quick release bolts

chipa 15-06-2006 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordWorm
I've decided to leave the sides alone...because after watching the motor while it revs, it is very clear that the side mounts do not have any baring over forwards or backwards rocking. they are holding the engine up and thats about it....and AWR don't make side mounts, only inserts...the difference which I do not personally believe would be great enough to warrent spending the extra cash... motor just does not move on the side mounts....

IMHO the motor certainly does move more. Try going over a bumpy surface with WOT in 1st and sometimes 2nd. My motor moves more as my makeshift side mount inserts slowly come undone. The interesting thing is that driving on almost every other surface is fine including going nuts on tight twisties... :p The really interesting thing is that it appears to only be the gearbox side mount that is working harder when I would have thought it would be the other side.

chicaboo 16-06-2006 08:38 AM

The diff is offset to the left, so the greatest up and down movement is on that side, that is why the gearbox mount makes the most difference and is the biggest. The drivers side mount takes a lot of weight, but it seems to pivot from that mount in the way of movement. I think the side inserts are worthwhile, but that is why I have them...

LordWorm 16-06-2006 08:51 AM

Gav - you also have the softer mounts... from a purely visual inspection of how it seems to move, the hard mounts I have do a fantastic job of locking up the movement of the motor...of course visual inspection isnt overly accurate, granted....but its enough for me...if I can't see the movement, then the movement isn't causing me enough grief to go get the inserts.

If there were full side mount replacements available i'd prob buy them, but more from a weight saving point of view than anything... the stock mounts look like they weigh a tonne!

chicaboo 16-06-2006 08:58 AM

Mounts come in 70, 88 and 95 durometer ratings. Mine are 88, on the scale of things, they are harder than I care for...

Give me Andy's car and I can still make it axle tramp! He knows this, he's been there when I've done it. Mine only seems to do it very rarely under revlimit pretty much...

Removing engine rocks helps a lot, but it won't entirely remove axle tramp, as it is an up and down movement (which is the gearbox mount)...

LordWorm 16-06-2006 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicaboo
Mounts come in 70, 88 and 95 durometer ratings. Mine are 88, on the scale of things, they are harder than I care for...

Give me Andy's car and I can still make it axle tramp! He knows this, he's been there when I've done it. Mine only seems to do it very rarely under revlimit pretty much...

Removing engine rocks helps a lot, but it won't entirely remove axle tramp, as it is an up and down movement (which is the gearbox mount)...

The movement isn't up and down, its back and forth. The engine pivots on the side mounts, the movement isnt circular, its like a pendulum.

Sure andy's bustedass shocks have nothing to do with it?