AstinaGT Forums

AstinaGT Forums (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio Hi-fi (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Stereo sound issues (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19086)

Mazdaboy 06-04-2012 05:27 PM

Stereo sound issues

Hey all.
So I have a question that I'm not sure if anyone has an answer or if its been asked before.
I have pulled out and re-installed my stereo system like 10 times, I've rewired over and over and I don't use any of the origanal wiring for the sound system except power, accessory and earth.
ISSUE:
When I start the car I get a high pitch whistle through my speakers and it gets louder as the rpm climbs up.
Any ideas?
Help is much needed, due to its doing my head in.
Cheers.

BTW its a "96" BA 323 Astina hatch.

Ben 06-04-2012 06:05 PM

Its a ground problem. Generally its between the stereo and a amp if you run the power cables with the stereo cables together. Your meant to run the cables on the opposite side of the car...

However, you can buy a ground loop isolator and it will fix it... There about $20ish from jb. Or find a better ground source...

Jastel 06-04-2012 07:20 PM

I agree. I always run the power cable and RCA leads down opposite sides and the speaker wires down the middle.

xeon8 06-04-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazdaboy (Post 288308)
When I start the car I get a high pitch whistle through my speakers and it gets louder as the rpm climbs up.
Any ideas?

I had the same problem in my car, and Ben is correct, it is a grounding problem.

I simply ran a ground wire from the amp directly to the battery and that sorted the issue - gave the cleanest possible ground.

phildough 06-04-2012 08:03 PM

You can also run an extra earth return from a nice clean bolt to the earth terminal.
This is a must as every wire off the positive terminal should have an equal sized one on the negative.
Another way of fixing it is all car stereo items run a common earth point. Amp and headunit all earthed to the same spot.

Drift Thorpey 06-04-2012 11:41 PM

Pretty much what xeon said, but go to the earthing bolt that the battery uses for a separate ground that should remove any hissing you get.

Mazdaboy 07-04-2012 06:02 AM

Thanks for the help guys. All though my power wire speaker wire and RCA are all separate until they get to the amp that's where they all meet up and I just ground the amp to a bolt in the back of the car. But if what your saying is right I'll try that. After all I have all the equipment to do them all :) and my loop issolator is on its way :)

rodhog 07-04-2012 07:12 AM

Sometimes you also get it where poor quality RCA's are used. Like it's been said ground loop. THe grounding of the RCA's is poor can also give this effect, I've seen it on some installed where they have done it all correct -- power on one side RCA's and line level another.

It's normally at the ends of the RCas that go but I have seen where some installed have put them right under where feet go and they break and wear.

sim08u 25-06-2012 02:40 PM

is the head unit Pioneer?

BrownDog 25-06-2012 06:47 PM

I have that problem with my sub, haven't been bothered to fix it yet, but you can put on a low pass filter and that removes the problem, however it does remove all the high frequinces, you could just leave it and pretend its a supercharger

sim08u 27-06-2012 11:22 AM

LOL supercharger... I was told by my cousin that with Pioneer head units if you don't plug in the power last you get that engine noise...