AstinaGT Forums

AstinaGT Forums (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive Talk (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Window Tint Removal (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1416)

JynX 16-11-2003 08:10 PM

Window Tint Removal

Just putting some notes her for people wanting to do this themselves.

My honest advice is pay the $50 for someone else to do it, its a bitch of a job.

I used a pocket knife (razor blade can be subbed here) and lifted the edges and peeled the majority of the window section away in one bit. This left slight edges which needed to be taken off with the knife.

I intially started glue removal with straight metho. Lots of elbow grease and it works but I started to get a headache from the amount of metho on the windows. Sik Mick suggested Turps first as it seems to loosen the glue up a bit. Didnt seem to have much effect for me.

I found a website which suggested ammonia. Use really fine (0000) steel wool and a bit of ammonia and it comes off relatively easy and doesnt mark the glass if your very light on the wool. Make sure you wipe up the excess ammonia with a paper towel.

Clean both sides with window cleaner for a nice finish.

KittyKatSmack 16-11-2003 09:13 PM

I am thinking I might get my windows tinted now......

:lol:

JynX 17-11-2003 07:14 AM

Im going to get mine re-tinted.... just got sick of looking at the purple bubbling tint.... and I saved $50 which, after removing the tint, was not really a saving at all!

sik astina 17-11-2003 10:41 AM

yeh i agree with jim. pay someone to do it. it took me 10 mins to remove the tint and another 3 hours to remove the glue :lol: but i aint retintin it any time soon ;)

jim how long did it take u?

-Mick

JynX 17-11-2003 12:42 PM

probably 4hours all up but I was dicking about doing other stuff.

KittyKatSmack 17-11-2003 01:58 PM

ok, so who are you getting it done through and what colour and % are you getting it done?

I already have tinted glass on my 'stina, so what percent will I be allowed to go to?

And I want that metallic gold finish to mine but don't know if the tinted glass will give me the end result I want.......

hrmmmmmmm

any suggestions?

dfvadr 17-11-2003 03:10 PM

get them to put a little bit on first so u can see wat it looks like

the easiest way for you guys/girls that wanna remove ur tint is rip it off then use thinners to remove the glue dont spill the thinners but

sik astina 17-11-2003 03:14 PM

i tried thinners too. still takes awhile to remove the glue :|

dfvadr 17-11-2003 03:17 PM

it is a **** job mik im with u i would rather pay sum-one too

JynX 17-11-2003 03:24 PM

sure is :)

sik astina 17-11-2003 03:32 PM

thats forsure lmao :lol:

Dazz 17-11-2003 06:36 PM

ive done it about 20 times before its a bitch of a job but the best way of doing it is with window cleaner,white spirits,steel whool,and a razor blade, best and easiest way to get it off the back window is use a pressure washer and it blasts it off easy, but u need to set up a drainage system so the water doesnt get in the boot the best thing is one of those plastice desposable seat covers that they use a bobjane and tape it form the roof (inside) and then to the gutter edges near the bumper bar.

Cosmo Dude 17-11-2003 07:38 PM

I've tried Acetone, metho, turps (Not the one off Wheel :lol: ) prepsol and many other concoctions to remove glue, doesn't work without lots of elbow grease.
A hair drier can help as I've seen a window de-tinted in under 5 minutes but the next one took 45 :(
If someone is stupid enough to do it for $50 then let 'em. You can always take the girl out shopping while it is being done (Bugger, that costs more money again :lol: )

Rod

Aaron 17-11-2003 09:43 PM

You can add some really carcenogenic crap my Dad had ... Hexane?

Flourine and TriChlor don't work either.....

*ponders*

BTW Kitty had the standard tint measured (ie the stocko glass) on her 94...

I'll let her post the results but lets say it's gonna be hard to be legal by tinting it!

A.

KittyKatSmack 17-11-2003 09:52 PM

Yes, unfortunately or fortunately my 'stina has tinted glass all round, not normal clear glass..... and it was checked today and has a 30% tint on it already.

I can get it tinted, but it will be very illegal with the decent Onyx (true black) that most tinters seem to carry.

The others tended to look sh!te!

And if I get gold or coloured tint, it will look different through the tint in the glass anyway....

hrmmmmmmmmmmm

not sure what to do now, will prolly just leave it.

Have enough to do with the Zorst and the wheels I am getting (same place as the headers, LOL)

Cheers!

Dazz 17-11-2003 10:12 PM

its not that hard to get it off it just takes time.

go illegal tint kitty like 28% would look alright

KittyKatSmack 17-11-2003 10:18 PM

LOL

I have been looking at 35%

*drool*

who needs to see out of windows at night anyway??????

:lol:

dfvadr 18-11-2003 03:20 PM

kitty that tint ur talking about on ur car all cars for about 15 years have that too
its that green look u get in ur windows
so just tint over it ull been no different to thousands off others out there

an dont forget dump it ..|.. :lol:

Dazz 18-11-2003 06:27 PM

i got 15% on mine and i can still see at night its just a little harder to see