AstinaGT Forums

AstinaGT Forums (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technology + Gaming (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   3 outta 3.... time to buy a ps3 methinks (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15119)

Ghoru 27-08-2009 09:03 AM

3 outta 3.... time to buy a ps3 methinks

So my 360 elite RRODed 2 weeks ag not even 12 months old. ok fine send it away to get fixed and i still have my old one which had all ready been repaired from an RROD. 2 weeks later my old one RROD's aswell. Unlucky or am i eing screwed over?

Ky_88 27-08-2009 09:08 AM

SCREWED OVER.... PS3 FOR THE WIN!

No but seriously, Xbox 360's seem to get TOO many issues in my opinion. I haven't had a single problem with any of my playstations from the PS1 - PS3, all have been top quality.

I suggest saving up and buying one on the market now OR wait a little and get the slimline cheaper version. All in all, you'll feel the difference, believe me. No paying for online play ;)

70NYD 27-08-2009 02:17 PM

someone explained to me, possibly on AstinaGT that the RROD is caused by the proccesors grease (cooling one) gets seperated away from the fan and cus everything is under such tight tolerances it doesnt cause enough cooling, over heats and warps either itself or the board and looses contact at certain pins, i got also told this is less likely to happen to machines that are allways stored in the horisontal positions, as the grease cant move even when too hot.. i dunno how true it is or not but thats just what i heard.
what i also heard is that all the nig name developing companies are jumping ship or threatening to to xbox and nintendog from sony.. it comes down to personal preferences in the end, and if ps3 didnt have a bluray player it would be a total looser in my books.. thats just my opinion but ;)

Ky_88 27-08-2009 03:55 PM

PS3 FTW!! Hehe.. personal choice it is. Both have good qualities, I just think Nintendo should address this issue asap as too many people have the same problem over and over.. out of warrenty period too. How convenient!

bourbon 27-08-2009 03:59 PM

no if its RROD they will fix it...i have seen and heard statements about it...or they are extending the warrenties or somehting...

70NYD 27-08-2009 04:09 PM

il tell you something i learned this semester in a industrial design class, everything is made with a intended life, and its usualy the warranty period, cus thats what factory warranty is, its the period of time (1 year for eg) where a certain percantage (90% lets say) of products are expected to still function, so 1.5 years after the initial startup there might be only a 50% chance that the product will still work etc..
but in this case it is something that they didnt account for in the initial designs

Ghoru 27-08-2009 08:25 PM

the 360 have an extended 3 year warranty for RROD issues. providing case not opened ect. RROD is the ONLY problem i have had with them tho and i will buy a ps3 anyway just 3/3 is ****ty odds really

Madd_Maxx 27-08-2009 09:14 PM

Dont say that! i only bought a 360 like 2 months ago haha

zappy65 27-08-2009 10:29 PM

Ive had a 360 for ages...never had any problems...and its always sitting horizontal...Tony, what you heard was pretty much the problem, got a mate who works at Microsoft....

Ice88 27-08-2009 10:39 PM

Its to do mainly with the cooler design, size of the box, airflow and manufacturing process used.

The new 360s dont have the issue as bad as the older xboxs as they are 45m IIRC so the heat no longer kills them. The older xboxs have major issues.

SuperMazdaKart 27-08-2009 11:52 PM

My Xbox360 is the original first type & no problems here (knock on wood). Always run horizontally but does have this loose rattle inside when I shake the machine.

Mine was bought used from EB Games so not sure if it still qualifies for the extended repair warranty?? & I think EB have their pre-owned machines refurbished?

Think I read something about Grand Theft Auto 4 in particular killing some 360s & PS3s due to high resource requirements of the hardware.

DavoAust 28-08-2009 12:26 AM

i have a ps3, never had an issue. the graphics are better but not to the 'wow, i want that' point. the multi-core architecture does have huge potential as games get more detailed, have better physics engines and better AI, but it has to gain the developer following first

RustyKaos 28-08-2009 06:41 AM

All in all it comes down to the games or the extra features. I have all three consoles but I use the PS3 every day as it is the best media extender because of the upscaling. But thats just my opinion. And yes there is a three year extended warranty on the RROD issue but nothing else. I still get customers bringing their games in they just bought that have a huge circle scratched in it as well. This is caused by the 360 being moved while it is reading the disc and is a known issue but people still do it (never mount a 360 in the car!!!).

Cheers Jarrod

Batty 28-08-2009 07:39 AM

We have a 360, it's about 20 months old now, got the RROD last November took micro$oft 2 weeks to repair it (I thought that was good turn around) It gets heavy use from a 13 year old and his mates it is always used vertically due to space restrictions. Good value as it keeps us all sane while the kid and his mates are around. We are getting a free wii from Panasonic (we bought a viera TV) so will see how that goes in comparison when arrives in the next few weeks.

Ghoru 28-08-2009 09:06 AM

i was going to rusty but more as a media player

Ky_88 28-08-2009 09:25 AM

Wii will keep your 13 year old busy when their friends are over.. good party console is the Wii.

It's a shame xbox has those issues but at least they are offering 3 year extended warrenty for it. If they didn't, they would be sellling any!

Ghoru 28-08-2009 09:47 AM

if they didnt i would be one huge pain in the arse for them