AstinaGT Forums

AstinaGT Forums (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance & General Maintenance (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Fuel Economy / other questions (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5747)

MitchEG 31-01-2006 06:07 PM

arent you just seeing the side effects of having more power?? Throttle responsiveness would be concerned with the instantaneous uncorrupted delivery of power from the engine without the slingshot feel of boost to get in the way. Im sure NA engines are far better at deliving razor sharp throttle response and its a tradeoff that is made between having a big whack of turbo torque or high revving NA linearity(is that a word?)

Nate 31-01-2006 06:22 PM

correct. An NA engine with 132 kw will have better response and be quicker than a turbo engine with 132 kw ;)

you will experinece better fuel ecomony from a low boost turbo engine if driven sedately IN MOST CASES because the torque underboost is plentiful, therefore the engine doesnt have to labour as much to get up to speed

rmp does not = fuel consumption

on the highway i get 600 -700k's out of a tank sitting at 3500 rpm, i can drive around the city and never get above that but only get 400 ks because the engine has to work to repeatedly accelerate the car ;) and as you will all know because you all studied physics at highschool engery is a coefficent of work

as you can see i did physics and chem but engrish wasnt one of my strong points :p

MitchEG 31-01-2006 06:45 PM

engorish not engrish

Astro Boy 31-01-2006 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedAstina
arent you just seeing the side effects of having more power?? Im sure NA engines are far better of deliving razor sharp throttle response

DEFINATELY!
Quote:

hows the economy going in the ute greg?
old news of about 4 threads ago.... wots ya point????
Quote:

im speaking from my personal experciance here. Maybe some NA cars are more responsive, but generally speaking, id go with the turbo for throttle responiveness.
Personal experience being wot? Your old non-turbo astina vs the new fully sik one??? Jump into an S2000, or even my old rally car, and i can guarantee you NOTHING you will ever drive will have more response than that thing had when it was sucking down 7500-9000rpm through twin carbs, and in 800kg, it was whiplash...

Further to that i don't think you understand what responsivness is anyway...

Astro Boy 31-01-2006 07:53 PM

Quote:

An NA engine with 132 kw will have better response and be quicker than a turbo engine with 132 kw
Generally, yes, but be carefull... for all other factors being equal (ie. tourque, powerband, gearing, road surface)... then yes...

eg. Subaru WRX GpN, 200kw, 580nm.... its going to take a much more powerfull N/A car than 200kw to be faster than that...

boostedbatman 31-01-2006 07:55 PM

Alright then lets just tip the scales a bit more
Keep driveline the same

dfvadr 31-01-2006 09:03 PM

after our trip saturday an a couple off trips to sydney in the bg 1.8 single ohc i got 678k,s an it took 44lts i am happy with that an also this motor has over 300,000 now

Astro Boy 31-01-2006 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boostedbatman
Alright then lets just tip the scales a bit more
Keep driveline the same

Why's that??? In 99% of situations (except dirt and rain), AWD is a disadvantage, despite what clever subaru marketting tells us... power distributed to all four wheels doesn't necessarily equate to better power down and certainly not handling traits... except where an AWD varient has a significant track increase over its RWD counterpart... As in Holden's Cross Track AWD! :D So.... Ian, which One Tonne Ute couldn't you lose going up clear mountain rd!!! :p

AWD Porsche Turbo, vs RWD Porsche GT2... Similar power and weight... wots quicker down the strip... the GT2 by nearly a second...

It was just an example of a turbo car that's definately going to hose a N/A of similar power... Obviously turboing is the cheap and easy way out, but a properly setup N/A car of similar power will generally be quicker and CERTAINLY have more response... which was the original argument! :p

skippy 31-01-2006 10:51 PM

who watches top gear?
anyway have rave about how good the the evo8 is, but then they spoke about downside,

evo8 vs a 1.6l VW hire car both started going 30mph (50ish) in fifth
both put pedal to the metal,
the vw dub killed it after over a mile of track,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bourne Boy
Generally, yes, but be carefull... for all other factors being equal (ie. tourque, powerband, gearing, road surface)... then yes...

eg. Subaru WRX GpN, 200kw, 580nm.... its going to take a much more powerfull N/A car than 200kw to be faster than that...

what about one with 580nm?

andrewgrazier 31-01-2006 11:01 PM

I love weatchin that topgear show
simply becuase they are Pommy bastards
who trash any car thats not english. damm its funny :D

boostedbatman 01-02-2006 04:32 AM

With 580Nm on tap are you still saying that awd would be a disadvantage over fwd with same tractive effort through corners. Sure awd doesnt have the same tight lines as others but it helps get the power to the ground, albeit greater drivetrain losses

We are both chasing relativity to questions with not so simple answers
Too many factors and too many variables

Would be fun to launch a GpN though

chicaboo 01-02-2006 11:12 AM

I went for a hell ride in Jono's WRX AWD, and this thing scared me going down "Redhead"? at Newcastle! It was pulling the twisties at 100kph at times and staying in it's own lane, that is something I would not try in my unsophistocated FWD Astina!!! Mind you I can feel mine pick up the inside wheel quite often even with a strut brace, so now I wonder about the need for a front sway bar at times...?

Economy, oh gee, the best I seem to be able to get with the quiet muffler is 370ish on the top half of the tank. The noisy muff used to manage 360ish on the gay auto, so I would expect to see close to 400 on the top half if I put the noisy muff back on...

Gav.

twilightprotege 01-02-2006 11:52 AM

800k's on a tank with full highway driving :p

boostedbatman 01-02-2006 05:49 PM

poop to you Mr B
I never pushed the v6 past 600 ever as I dont want to lift 10+ years of crud
Did top up once with 53.76l

Astro Boy 02-02-2006 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boostedbatman
With 580Nm on tap are you still saying that awd would be a disadvantage over fwd with same tractive effort through corners. Sure awd doesnt have the same tight lines as others but it helps get the power to the ground, albeit greater drivetrain losses

True... I was only stating the exception to the rule, obviously an AWD Subaru Vs a RWD Porsche with exactly the same power, torque, weight, and gearing, over glorious you would still expect the porsche to be quicker... A properly setup RWD will handle better under maximum avaliable grip than an awd...

Quote:

We are both chasing relativity to questions with not so simple answers
Too many factors and too many variables
Really gotta get a life hey! :p

Quote:

Would be fun to launch a GpN though
What's even more fun, its coming barrelling into a tight-ish corner, grabing second just before it, and letting anti-lag fire you out the other side!!! Back in feb last year i was lucky enough to jump in with the current QLD Rally Champion in his WRX for a ride in the test forest just past jimna... and let me tell you there is NOTHING better than second gear, anti-lag, 500 odd nm, and AWD!!! I have never been so sh!t scared in my life!!! :D

boostedbatman 02-02-2006 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bourne Boy
True... I was only stating the exception to the rule, obviously an AWD Subaru Vs a RWD Porsche with exactly the same power, torque, weight, and gearing, over glorious you would still expect the porsche to be quicker... A properly setup RWD will handle better under maximum avaliable grip than an awd...

True
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blatantly Obvious
Really gotta get a life hey!

Yup Im still with ya!!! :o
Quote:

Originally Posted by Poopy Pants
What's even more fun, its coming barrelling into a tight-ish corner, grabing second just before it, and letting anti-lag fire you out the other side!!! Back in feb last year i was lucky enough to jump in with the current QLD Rally Champion in his WRX for a ride in the test forest just past jimna... and let me tell you there is NOTHING better than second gear, anti-lag, 500 odd nm, and AWD!!! I have never been so sh!t scared in my life!!!

Sounds pretty insane and I feel for you on both sides of the coin
When the 'mobile is going again I will have to chuck you in the shotgun toilet and show you why my friends feared the Bat
I scare myself that I never found the 'limit' of the cars handling potential and I am yet to stiffen the thing up a bit more
Trust me I tried to lose control a few times and the damn thing still stuck