AstinaGT Forums

AstinaGT Forums (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance & General Maintenance (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Car Won't Start (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7889)

W.A.I. 04-11-2006 02:05 PM

Car Won't Start

not the astina, but the holden astra.

the car worked fine yesterday, battery's good. car in the garage all night.
it just appears that it wouldn't want to start today at all.

any suggestions?

Cheers,

Andrew :(

TommyG 04-11-2006 04:59 PM

Kick it in the ovaries?

No idea, sorry. Best of luck with it though :P

Rupewrecht 04-11-2006 06:35 PM

Define 'won't start' - that's a bit vague.

The engine turns over but wont start?

Nothing happens at all?

W.A.I. 04-11-2006 06:44 PM

insert the key, turns it, lights in the cluster comes on... but turns the key to start, nothing happens at all.
I haven't actually seen the car in person yet. going over to see it now.
will keep you updated.

Rupewrecht 04-11-2006 06:46 PM

Sure the battery is connected? Give the terminals a clean and then retighten. possibly just the corrosion causing a bad connection - i've had ot happen to a friends car

W.A.I. 04-11-2006 09:14 PM

car would start now. after checking all the fuses, everything seems fine. could be loosened or bad fuse connections.

Cheers

platypus 05-11-2006 06:00 PM

immoboliser failure more likely... didn't read key

or automatic not in P or R will do that too

W.A.I. 05-11-2006 09:12 PM

yeh, thought that was the gear not in P properly.
after i saw the car last night, it was properly shifted in.
then went to look at the fuse, everything seemed fine.
tried again afterwards, it just works.
but again, the electric windows' playing up a little bit now. will need to take that back to holden after the final exams anyhow just on the safe side.

Ripper323 06-11-2006 06:36 AM

If your electric windows are playing up, try turning on your headlights and as much electrical equipment to see what happens, see if everything goes dim. If everything doesn't work properly, I'd say it's a battery connection. If you aren't getting good contact on the battery terminal, it can't conduct the full amount of current required, and the voltage actually drops throughout the car. If you look at the battery terminals and they are covered in crud, poor boiling water over the terminals, and it should get rid of that stuff.

W.A.I. 08-11-2006 12:58 AM

have had someone from RACQ looked at the car tonight coz it wouldn't start again...
the guy has found out it was the fact that the engine was flooded....
it just make the car needs a lot of efforts to get started....
it was suggested that could be of a few causes - computer fault, air-fuel sensor, fuel pump dripping, and a few others....
will have to take that back to Holden sometimes after the final exams....

ps: by the way, the battery was part of the reason as well... but changing the battery alone didn't do any good tho.... that's a $150 battery from autobarn....

platypus 08-11-2006 01:32 AM

best of luck with that mate - prolly a sensor problem - the opel designs seem to allow about a 5 year life on half the bloody electrics in the car - if you get that long your doing well.... if it dies before - they'll warranty with a fight

of the ones i've dealt with thus far i'd try and go to the gabba to get it fixed... they were just really good to deal with - village holden are pains as are zupps....