AstinaGT Forums

AstinaGT Forums (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Victoria (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Summerslam - interesting news for anyone whos ever thought about racing... (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8227)

LordWorm 02-01-2007 05:31 PM

Summerslam - interesting news for anyone whos ever thought about racing...

Just got off the phone with Twilightprotege who is without interweb while his reno is being done on his house (he'll be online tomorrow if you have questions tho)...

He's been in touch with Ray Box, the promoter of the sports compact group drag racing scene, who's basically trying to rustle up some cars for summerslam (jan 13 @ heathcote)

Essentially, because its a new event, and there hasn't been many entrants because the qld and nsw guys in the "scene" are not stepping up, he's more or less scrapped the 14.99 cut off for this event.

This means, for any class where a 14.99 cut off exists (street front, rear and awd, all motor, maybe one or 2 of the others), you can enter a slower car without fear of being eliminated for being to slow.

This is a great opportunity for those with unmodified and mildly modified cars to get in and have a taste of competition drag racing, without the associated costs of building a fast race car, and without the added burden of racing seasoned drivers.

Details on www.sportcompact.net.au

if twiggy can get some things sorted he'll be out there, and i'm trying to find the funds to drive down as well...but tell your friends, get yourself entered and try put your driving to the test. Top prize for the street classes is $400, with the runner up getting $200 and losing semi finalists getting $50 a piece...

project.r.racing 02-01-2007 06:32 PM

if ray vox finally puts a good comp together he might get more entrants...

goo for peps how wanna start small tho with the cut off being removed.

ryan

LordWorm 02-01-2007 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deejayryry
if ray vox finally puts a good comp together he might get more entrants...

goo for peps how wanna start small tho with the cut off being removed.

ryan

how would you improve it?

Jambo was a dogs breakfast but that was willowbanks fault for not following the seeding rules....by the time ray was aware they were ignoring his directive, it was too late, racing had commenced

he has an event co-ordinator onboard now, one with alot of andra experience so things should go better.

edit: by the by, i think the removal of the cut off is a one time deal - to get cars to the new event...don't think summerslam is having the kind of impact they thought it would....one would think it'd be huge given there is very little in the way of organised competition in melb these days without an andra sanctioned track...

project.r.racing 03-01-2007 06:15 AM

you know my personally opinion of DYO at nation wide / national events. so i won't repeat myself.

DYO = good for state / entry level events only.

but what i will say is most in the scene before ray vox started this comp feel the same way i do about it that i do.

ryan

LordWorm 03-01-2007 07:33 AM

DYO is the only way to make the competition viable though mate... and if you look at even the PRO ranks, its DYO right upto group A...(mind you group B has a pretty awesome DYO variant in competition eliminator....but thats all a bit different again - definantly something i'd love to see added to the sport compact scene).

The point is, if its not DYO, its too expensive, it becomes cheque book racing - whoever has the most dough wins.... you'd scare far too many competators off if the street classes required you to run a 7 or 8 second car to win.

Front Mod, however, has had its cut off dropped to 12.99...which makes sense...

Also Ray may have just started this comp, but he's promoted Jamboree since it started, and i'm pretty sure he's promoted a stack of other events...the national ANDRA sport compact series which runs along side sports compact group this year is also DYO......

*personally* i don't think removing DYO will get more competators....it would do the exact opposite....like it or lump it, its the way drag racing *world wide* is headed (with the exception of the big guns...)

project.r.racing 03-01-2007 07:46 AM

like it or lump it, the people with the cheque books and fast cars bring in the crowds. if they won't compete cos they can be beaten buy a $5,000 street car when they've spent $20,000 on their car, in the same class, they won't enter. already proven in past 2 years.

don't get me wong when i talk about DYO. i'm not against if all the way to the top. just too many classes have it. i'd prefer to see it dropped from a few classes.

example of what some things i'd do:-

street front = DYO in finals (more entry levels cars etc so better to have DYO)
front mod = heads up in finals (more serious $$$ spent on cars so better to see faster cars win at top)

only my opinion so not worth fighting over.

boostedbatman 03-01-2007 07:46 AM

Ryan thats why they removed Pro FWD from the comps due to the fact that there are sooo few able to afford such a build I only know of 3 that could manage it
I do understand where youre coming from and I appreciate that as I would love to race in a heads up comp in the future but that is just out of reach for the masses at the moment
And I mean at the moment, who knows what the future will hold, with the quality of off shelf FWD cars nowadays it wont be too long I think
But for now there is always DYO and theres also the record books, fo those wishing to strut their wares
At present they are awarding the package of car and driver (who is able to control his ride with consistancy)
But as you are well aware there are plans for lower dial ins creating a faster and more explosive series
You will eventually see up to 5 different classes for FWD alone in the future and then its up to the entrant to decide where he fits
My 2c

twilightprotege 03-01-2007 08:00 AM

ryan would you compete in motorkhana if there was only 1 class? same stupid idea as not having dyo drag racing

anyway, back on topic i'd love to see some vic entrants. ripper323???

project.r.racing 03-01-2007 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twilightprotege
ryan would you compete in motorkhana if there was only 1 class? same stupid idea as not having dyo drag racing

2 completely different things. i never said about classes, just DYO.
no way is gonna be perfect i guess.

sorry to steal thread. on topic - would be good to see vic peps there :D

twilightprotege 03-01-2007 08:26 AM

...put it this way. would you have competed if you HAD to compete against cars that were twice as quick as you in the same class?

LordWorm 03-01-2007 08:30 AM

Ryan wasn't fighting you over it mate... just pointing out that it would be almost impossible to move away from it... especially given the costs involved...

There are points based incentives to go faster too... Top Qualifier, MPH Record and ET record all earn you competition points.....quite a few, if memory serves...

Yes who in melb is going to race? :P

chipa 03-01-2007 08:42 AM

I'll be turning up, however racing probably wont be happening this month.

LordWorm 03-01-2007 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipa
I'll be turning up, however racing probably wont be happening this month.

I think they have a sound off...they usually do at these events....

chipa 03-01-2007 08:55 AM

Doesn't look like it, not too worried about that. In Australia there's only 2-3 cars in my class that can go louder and I know them all.

If we get enough time we might be bringing my brothers EF turbo down.. will see how we go.

project.r.racing 03-01-2007 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twilightprotege
...put it this way. would you have competed if you HAD to compete against cars that were twice as quick as you in the same class?

nope but i'd try. then get beaten insanely this round/year. then i'd return home and build a quicker car. then try harder next round/year.
-
it's called a competitive nature. drags racing didn't get where it was today with 14.5 sec cars. it got there with 6-12 sec cars. i bet they didn't stop trying to go faster, until they were no.1.

ryan

LordWorm 03-01-2007 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deejayryry
nope but i'd try. then get beaten insanely this round/year. then i'd return home and build a quicker car. then try harder next round/year.
-
it's called a competitive nature. drags racing didn't get where it was today with 14.5 sec cars. it got there with 6-12 sec cars. i bet they didn't stop trying to go faster, until they were no.1.

ryan

Yes all well and good, if we're all millionares...if everyone had a mega budget i'd be with you 100%. But we don't...and growing the sport requires that as many people as possible are introduced to the scene.

The thinking is, that if someone has 2 or 3 seasons, enjoys the sport, they may find sponsors or other means to build a faster car, then they may later get a birth in a heads up/pro tree car....

Seriously how many people would even bother STARTING out in drag racing if in order to even be moderatly competative you had to have a 6 second car?

DYO is a proven formula. It provides exciting, close racing for fans, and puts an emphasis on race craft rather then just putting your foot to the floor and being a passanger..you are required to think, be strategic....watch other cars to see what they are doing. Most of the quicker cars don't lose cos they are inherently inconsistant cars, they lose because the drivers don't think.. Watch dave homer next time he's out..the guy never touches the brake, even if he's 10 car lengths infront at the end of the track... and he breaks out more often then not.

The likes of ANDRA and Ray Box should be doing more to encourage new drivers to enter the series in the hope that those drivers EVENTUALLY get what it takes to race in the top classes, they shouldn't be trying to push people away by abolishing DYO classes................

Biggest problem I think with the FWD classes at the moment is the fact that Sport FWD and Front Mod are a merged class.....Sport FWD should have a fast cut off as well as a slow cut off.... if you go quicker than a certain speed you AUTOMATICALLY get bumped into front mod... that way street would be between 13.00 and 14.99, Front mod would be 12.99 and quicker....

get the fast guys out of the entry level classes...and force them to move up a bit...
thats my thoughts anyway

chicaboo 03-01-2007 09:55 AM

You really don't do much at work do you? :p

project.r.racing 03-01-2007 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordWorm
The likes of ANDRA and Ray Box should be doing more to encourage new drivers to enter the series in the hope that those drivers EVENTUALLY get what it takes to race in the top classes, they shouldn't be trying to push people away by abolishing DYO classes................

please read previous posts, i've never said to elminate DYO from all classes, but it is on too many classes. If it's good for entry level classes, but why is it in so many classes? I prefer to see heads up in more advanced classes. Just my 2c, not worth fighting over.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordWorm
get the fast guys out of the entry level classes...and force them to move up a bit...
thats my thoughts anyway

^agreed. It be good to see:-

Sport FWD with 13.00+ with DYO rules
-and-
FWD Mod with <12.99 with head up rules.

And as these classes get more popular and faster, maybe the times will be dropped in futre years, eg: - FM <12.49 / SF 12.50+, FM <11.99 / SF 12.00+, etc

Ryan

LordWorm 03-01-2007 11:14 AM

not fighting you dude, having a difference... in my opinion heads up in Front Mod will never ever work.... ... especially if you put a 13.00 cut off in street forcing people to put cars into front mod because some street cars WILL make it into that class....and only dedicated track cars will win - theres compromises that have to be made.

Times will drop when things get popular...i've heard that jambo used to have a 15.99 cut off..now its 14.99 because so many entrants can hit 15.99 now.

theres plenty of classes that run heads up rules... Pro Turbo, Pro Compact, Outlaw Bike...the only addition i would make would be extreme....cos its bloody stupid that mr mad's 6 second something insanity mobile has to dial a time in...but front mod is still "entry level"... its just faster entry level..the differences in rules are not that much.

In an ideal world, i'd have

Street Front/Rear/AWD and sports bike - DYO
Front Mod/289/all motor - DYO with comp eliminator rules, with a view to eventually moving all motor to heads up pro tree like the USA
Pro Compact, pro turbo, extreme and outlaws heads up...

Ripper323 03-01-2007 10:22 PM

Hey guys this sounds interesting, has any one got any info, ie, entry costs etc? Or is there a site I can go to? I'd like to have a go at competitive racing, although I'd need to know more info. And I'd definitely need to get some better tyres for the front!
*EDIT* I re-read the first post and am looking at the website.