AstinaGT Forums

AstinaGT Forums (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Introduce yourself (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   New to the scene (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14812)

Noddinoff 19-07-2009 02:58 PM

New to the scene

Hey Guys and Gals.....I am considering purchasing a 1997 Astina BA11F3 with only 132000 k's on the clock. It will be the first mazda I've ever owned. Do they have any weakness' in the drivetrain/engine department? I would like to power it up a bit, and have a few grand in the kitty for the purpose....any suggestions for reliable improvements, and what the expected gains could be. If anyone knows it would be you guys.....I can't find much on them at all....not even a body kit.

cheers

project.r.racing 19-07-2009 05:56 PM

Not much power up options for the V6 model. Fuel regulator makes a massive improvement.

NaughtyGT 19-07-2009 06:15 PM

Welcome Buddy!

Rupewrecht 19-07-2009 10:53 PM

Welcome to AGT!

Air filter, cold air induction, rising rate fuel pressure regulator, and a catback exhaust will give a noticeable improvement for the V6

Noddinoff 21-07-2009 09:49 PM

Thanks for the welcome, and I will definitely be sourcing these things asap. I should be picking it up in 2 weeks.......it will make for a more refined drive than my AE86 which is running the 4AGZE. I know.....I am going backwards on power, and from RWD to FWD but I'm sure I will find ways to improve things and have fun doin' it. Are headers an available option for the V6?

Rupewrecht 21-07-2009 11:57 PM

Headers: yes and no. You'll find some on ebay for Mazda MX-6 that will fit with a small modification to the piping in one spot, but they're about the only option that's off the shelf as far as i know

chrisw 05-08-2009 09:16 PM

welcome! all the folk on here have a wealth of knowledge when it comes to power upgrades. enjoy the mazda!
if it were me, I'd spend the money *though im silly* and get;
custom headers and 2.25 mandrel bent full exhaust.
drop in panel or CAI
fuel pressure regulator
some nice suspension
a good service.

enjoy the drive! what happened to the old 86 though?

Ky_88 06-08-2009 08:58 AM

Welcome to AGT :)

Noddinoff 06-08-2009 10:10 PM

I flew to Canberra and picked up my 1996 Astina BA11F2 this week after having it checked over in Sydney by a pro.........no not that kind of pro...lol. What a great little car. The V6 sounds great. The car itself is in great condition with full service record....only two owners before me. There's a few minor things that need attention though. Electric antenna needs replacing, interior light don't work, and for some strange reason the AC comes on when you push the air vent for the windscreen button....(scrathing my head on that one). Any suggestions for non genuine antenna? Mazda one's cost an arm and a leg.

Chris; the old 86 is nested in the garage where I will soon rip out all the worn out carpet and replace with new ones and tidy up the interior, then I'll have to get to work prepping it for a respray. I have had it for a long time so it will be hard to part with it.......and it has given me a lot of entertainment and amusement.....especially when some dope tries to run me from the lights.

70NYD 06-08-2009 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noddinoff (Post 205830)
I flew to Canberra and picked up my 1996 Astina BA11F2 this week after having it checked over in Sydney by a pro.........no not that kind of pro...lol. What a great little car. The V6 sounds great. The car itself is in great condition with full service record....only two owners before me. There's a few minor things that need attention though. Electric antenna needs replacing, interior light don't work, and for some strange reason the AC comes on when you push the air vent for the windscreen button....(scrathing my head on that one). Any suggestions for non genuine antenna? Mazda one's cost an arm and a leg.

Chris; the old 86 is nested in the garage where I will soon rip out all the worn out carpet and replace with new ones and tidy up the interior, then I'll have to get to work prepping it for a respray. I have had it for a long time so it will be hard to part with it.......and it has given me a lot of entertainment and amusement.....especially when some dope tries to run me from the lights.

the antena go to a wrenker..
when you turn the windscreen demister on the ac comes on automatically, as in most cases you will turn the ac on to demist the windscreen, its faster than putting the heat on..
interior lights could be the room fuse in the box..

Ice88 07-08-2009 01:36 AM

I still dont know why youd go from a AE86 to a mazda.

Those engines go like the clappers. Specially if you can find a silver head :)

Noddinoff 07-08-2009 10:35 AM

70NYD.....I can't seem to find a supllier down here for the Wrenker Antenna. Where do you source them from? I checked the room fuse and it's ok, the boot light works so it is probably just the bulb.

Ice....don't get me wrong, I love the 86 it's a real blast to drive, especially on some twisty stuff and the LSD does it's thing......diff that is, not the drug. lol. I have had it tuned by RAJAB Racing in Melbourne and that boy knows his stuff. In all likelihood the Mazda may end up in his shop for improvements, but nothing too extreme. If I can get 125kw out of the V6 reliably without breaking something I'd be happy........The question is; Is it possible without forced induction?