AstinaGT Forums

AstinaGT Forums (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension & Wheels (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Front brakes making noise - SP20 (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22089)

Noble323 13-07-2016 04:37 PM

Front brakes making noise - SP20

Alright.
When I brought the car a while ago brakes weren't brillant and pretty sure disc was warpped, so I brought DBA front pair disc's and Bendix GCT pads.

Was installed about 3 to 4 weeks ago but I noticed when I slowly brake it makes a horrible sound if I'm lightly braking and even normal braking but if I brake hard I don't really hear it.

Could it be maybe the calipers itself ? Or ?
Any help would be great.

MadazInBris 13-07-2016 06:42 PM

Edit: Did you wash off the PROTECTIVE coating on the new discs ????

In "theory" discs should be machined before new pads are installed
to remove any gouges / glazing etc...

Next the "theory" in bedding in the pads requires you to get to 60kph
& brake FIRMLY for a second - Without stopping & repeat say 4 more
times to "bed" the pads in....

Supposedly modern pads don't need to be bedded in but why not go old school ? Can't hurt - lol

I'd pull the pads out and on a flat surface rub them on some 240 grit sand paper, re-install & bed them in if it was my call.. ;)

Noble323 13-07-2016 07:15 PM

Yes disc were cleaned with brake cleaner and pads are the no bedding but I bed them alittle to help.
I've done our camry and its been perfect and the mazda not great......

Could it be a piston on the calipers sticking ? I know I've done it right installing the disc and pads. I've done ot many times and no problems.

MadazInBris 13-07-2016 07:29 PM

Simple solution then pull apart both calipers, rub internals with
1200 w&d & put kits through them - That should do the trick !

MadazInBris 13-07-2016 07:41 PM

Or just pull them down, clean out / reassemble & pray ! ;)

HAIGHIE 16-07-2016 10:19 AM

Problem is the Bendix pads ��

What kind of noise is it ?? Will help a lot in trying to solve the issue.

Is it a high pitched squeal or a grinding type noise

MadazInBris 16-07-2016 11:27 AM

BENDIX sucked dog dick royally back in 1984 - Worst pads EVER !! :eek:
Thought they would've been better 32 years later ? :confused:

Noble323 17-07-2016 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HAIGHIE (Post 338543)
Problem is the Bendix pads ��

What kind of noise is it ?? Will help a lot in trying to solve the issue.

Is it a high pitched squeal or a grinding type noise

Its more of a grinding sounds not a high pitched squeal.

When I brought the car I noticed the front disc was warpped and after a couple months noticed the pads making a grinding sound, looked at pads still had abit of life in them but changed the discs and pads.

The wrapping issue is fixed but the grinding sound now sounds worse.

I replaced our camry pads with the same brand pads bendix and its perfect no noise or anything thats why I got bendix for the sp20

Already called bendix and honestly the guy I spoke it was no help and tryd to keep making excuses that I did it wrong, as soon I suggested maybe pads have a fault he said any pads that they sell have not faults or defect (yeah right, If you can buy genuine parts and they can be faulty im sure the pads can)

Anyways... I was more worried if they werent braking properly but im sure they are.

MadazInBris 17-07-2016 10:17 AM

Do these Bendix pads have tapered "lead ins" on the mating surface or just flat ?
Better thought out & designed ones these days do ;)

MadazInBris 17-07-2016 12:04 PM

Pic for reference :rolleyes:

http://www.hawkperformance.com/sites...-race-pads.jpg

Cosmo Dude 17-07-2016 04:35 PM

Could it be the backing plate behind the disk was disturbed and is now rubbing on the disk?

Jazzy 17-07-2016 06:18 PM

Are the 'M' springs (#4) seated properly? They must be seated correctly for the pads to be pushed back properly. And make sure the guide plates (#6) are also seated properly.

http://s31.postimg.org/khwkx89t7/brakes.jpg

Grinding noise could also be wheel bearings.

Noble323 19-07-2016 12:32 AM

Thanks guys for the feedback.

I dont think its the backing plate because mostly does it now when im close to stopping and other time its fine.

Those m springs are seated properly and those guide brackets/plate are also seated properly, I know its not wheel bearing, haha I know that annoying sound, its definitely something, im ganna take them out and double check everything and if its still doing the same then its probably safe to take it to a braking place.

Will update once I figure out.

MadazInBris 23-07-2016 11:04 AM

So what's the outcome here.. Sticking calliper pistons ?
Loose securing bolt ? Crappy Aussie made pads ???? :confused:

Noble323 05-08-2016 01:24 PM

Update:
Well not much of a update because I haven't had a chance to inspect, but what I found is after my last post we haf a few days rain and in the rain I didnt really hear it, thought I hear something at 2 occasion but nothing that was noticeable.

And when rain stopped its still doing it but only just before I come to a stop (rolling like 5km to stop) after driving for a while, so im not worried about it at the moment brakes are working fine, so maybe disc are getting to hot or pads are crap.

Still ganna look into them because it couod be something else but when I get time.

MadazInBris 05-08-2016 02:00 PM

Did you buy RDA (crap) or good DBA rotor/discs ?
I should've pointed that out way earlier - lol

HAIGHIE 16-08-2016 07:44 PM

The rotors arn't going to make the noise RDA / DBA / Protec

As long as they were either new or machined thats not going to be your issue,
The brand of a rotor really doesn't matter to much on a daily street car.

I'm saying its the pads. But as you said the brakes are working fine so its not a huge issue, just the fact it might be annoying.

MadazInBris 16-08-2016 07:49 PM

Cheap soft discs CAN & WILL heat up and GLAZE with the BEST pads available..
Just sayin'

HAIGHIE 16-08-2016 08:12 PM

Not his issue!! He has DBA rotors anyways as stated in the first post!!
As you would probably know if his rotors were "glazed" then they would be squeeling due to the very smooth suface as the pad finds it harder to create friction.

Not making a harsher almost like grinding noise.
Deffinatley not within the first few 1000kms of freash pads and freash machined surfaced rotors.

MadazInBris 16-08-2016 08:22 PM

Well unless he youtubes this sound we are all seconding guessing then aren't we ?
Ahhhhh I love keyboard warriors - all huff n bluff until called out...