AstinaGT Forums

AstinaGT Forums (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Performance & General Maintenance (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   performance mods for an SP20 (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1497)

sp20mad 02-12-2003 08:35 PM

performance mods for an SP20

ok, i know you guys all saw me trying to sell my 2003 SP20 but i have decided not to now, i am going to start doing it up instead! the overseas thing has been cancelled for now, so i will see how it goes!

but what i on here for is to find out where i should start with the performance mods! i wish it would hold the gears a bit longer, it seems to rev really fast past 3500revs! so yeh any suggestions would be welcome!

plus i need to remember i have a warranty on the car, so keep that in mind! cheers guys! i have a reasonable budget, but dont go crazy like turbo conversions etc!

Critter 02-12-2003 08:56 PM

There is performance and performance of course :)

A decent cat-back exhaust has to be first IMO, much better thottle response and it sounds nice too :)
Mine cost me under $300 and was the best $$ I spent in the car.

Cold air induction is money well spent too, tho' I haven't been that route (yet) for much the same reason and not too exxy.

Nice short throw shift puts a smile on your face even if the car doesn't go any faster.

Performance also equals handling.
Thicker rear bar, lower/firmer springs and camber kits each end will give you more corner speed = performance :)

WASP20 06-12-2003 05:35 PM

Thanks

Thanks for all the information in this forum. Wow I never knew there was a dedicated place for SP20 owners in Australia. Now I am here I can already hear the money leaving my wallet as I ponder some moves to upgrade the performance of my SP20!

By the way, the lovely yellow SP20 on the front page has been lowered. Can the owner or someone who knows let me know how this was achieved, how much the car has been lowered and how much it cost?

Also, how much can I do without effecting my new car warrantee. I have only just clicked over 6000kms and don't want to end up with losing my NCW because of mods.

Cheers on a great site and thanks in advance,

Critter 06-12-2003 07:58 PM

Good to have you aboard WASP20 :)

A BUNCH of SP20s in various stages of mods from stock ever upward at the Xmas DOO cruise today, there will be pics up soon, check the cruise page out.

Can't speak for Bora with his feature car, but mine is lowered 40mm on Kings springs (apart from a whole lot of suspension/chassis mods). Should set you back around $450 fitted, mebbe a bit less.

Cat-back exhaust will cause you no warranty dramas and gives a lot better throttle response.

Warranty is no real biggie until you get real serious, they just don't guarantee what you replace and there are some carry on effects.
So engine internals, gearbox etc go out of warranty if you play turbo for instance.

But stuff above should give no real dramas. Shocks would be affected by springs I guess but they are OK shocks and when they go off after 50k or so with low springs you just upgrade them.

Hope that helps.

WASP20 07-12-2003 12:23 PM

Thanks Critter :)

SR2 10-12-2003 08:53 PM

hey, i own a SR2 which is basically a the sp20 just wondered if any of you know of the turbo kit available to both the sp20 and sr2 that was featured in the sony xplode sr2???

what mods were made and costs???

cheers

Choclove23 10-12-2003 10:01 PM

Re: performance mods for an SP20

Quote:

Originally Posted by sp20mad

but what i on here for is to find out where i should start with the performance mods! i wish it would hold the gears a bit longer, it seems to rev really fast past 3500revs! so yeh any suggestions would be welcome!
!

:?: :?: :?:
You actually want it to go slower?
I wish my car would fly past 3500rpm!
Try advancing the timing, this will bring the torque range down a little. I think it something like 400rpm for +4 degrees.
If not, get another gearbox with bigger gear ratios.

Critter 11-12-2003 07:22 AM

Hey there SR2
Welcome aboard!

The Sony turbo instal was pretty dodgy IMO.....

There are any number of turbo kits in the states of varying degress of quality.

The HiBoost kit is prolly the pick of them and StreetDreams here in Brookvale does an Australian-optimised version of it.

There is a thread in this forum with a link to an installation piece by piece of it, 77 pix and comments.

Also www.flyinprotege.com has a good kit

wiredone here has the HiBoost kit in his car, pm him for info.
Goes hard, no risk.

adelaidesp20 15-12-2003 08:36 AM

Most forum members know me from install of headers on the SP20 which others should be putting on their rides by now. A very good increase in performance $ for kw.(approx $9 per kw gain - 8kw), A K&N airfilter only gains approx ($45.00 per kw - 1.5kw) and a Canon muffler ($60 per kw - 5kw). Even though they are all small mods, when combined it really makes a difference as the engine works nicely with slight bottom end power and great results on mid-high end power with no signs of increased fuel economy. :P

The next thing to look out for is advance timing which will really begin the power rush but at the expense of fuel. :cry:

For others info, I've left the piping from the cat back as factory which has kept a little back pressure available to the engine rather than opening up to a 2.5inch pipe and from previous experience it has made a difference to the bottom end power whereas before there wouldn't be any. Any thoughts here from others ? :shock:

Others may agree or disagree but I was at one stage looking at trading in for the new Mazda SP23 next January, but now that my machine is up around the 112kw mark why bother with changing over from a cool SP20.

P.S. Since the addition of the Canon muffler ive managed to easily blow away a standard SP20, new corolla sportivo with the 141kw engine, and SSS pulsar with some light mods.

ezin 16-12-2003 05:56 PM

9 dollars a kw? 8kw gain! Thats $72.00

Do u take cash or card for the extractors! lol!!!

ezin 16-12-2003 05:58 PM

how did u increase ur timing? $?