AstinaGT Forums

AstinaGT Forums (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio Hi-fi (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Jaycar subs (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12616)

spyder2k4 31-08-2008 06:35 PM

Jaycar subs

Are jaycar subs worth considering at all?
I listen to mostly house/dance etc.
What subs should i be looking at?

I am interested in jaycar a lot because the are CHEAP
http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp...=&SUBCATID=609

Putonyourshoes 31-08-2008 10:19 PM

they arnt bad for the money (or so ive heard)
if i was going to do a system thats what i would be using mate

DavoAust 31-08-2008 10:43 PM

their amps are pretty good, haven't ever heard one of their subs

mickey_323 31-08-2008 10:49 PM

jaycar are ok.

that link you gave was to a 10inch sub - 225WRMS. i would advise you to go for a more powerful sub, and maybe a larger one (12inch) as you listen to a lot of dance. It just depends on how much $$$ and how loud you want your system to be.

(and just to contradict myself.. 10inch can be good for dance with the right box and amp.)

i can't really say anything for certain as each sub choice can be fine depending on how you set it up. but i would say go for a more powerful sub :)

hope that post wasn't too confusing!

mazdaguy01 01-09-2008 07:59 AM

For the price Jaycar subs are great. If you go compare them to something you would get from Supercrap and the like for the same price they are miles ahead. Of course compare them to a set of DD's or hertz then they dont fair so well but for the money I dont think you can buy a better sub.

Dogo 01-09-2008 08:42 AM

yup theyre good for the $$

What you buy will depend on how you want to play. If you want to have a big booming bass then you might look at a higher wattage and perhaps a 12" but if you want to add a bit of kick to the music a 10" will do nicely. The smaller sub tends to have a firmer, tighter sound and in the cheaper/standard range will have better sound quality than the 12 because the lighter cone/magnet is easier for the magnet to control.

And you might appreciate the extra boot space as they don't need as big a box as a larger sub.

A lot of people buy bigger and more powerful than they need.

70NYD 01-09-2008 10:07 AM

just make sure u use a sealed setup for dance, otherwise u might find that a ported box will leave you with sloppy bass. those subs look fine, n especially for the price. 225WRMS is pleanty of power 4 $40 :)

Doogal 01-09-2008 02:51 PM

For 40 bucks you can't go wrong aye.

Are you going to make your own box or buy one? Cause a box could set you back anything from 30 bucks to 200 depejnding on the look and sound u want.

spyder2k4 01-09-2008 04:56 PM

well my sort of plan atm is

i have an amp that i plan to run bridged which can put out 150w rms at 4ohms
these are 8ohm speakers so im figuring i'll hav to run 2 in parallel
will this work?
will my amp still put out enough power etc?
and chances are i'll make my own enclosure. my mums fiance is builder and has sh*t heaps of tools and know how so he'll be a lot of help

thoughts?
aaron

DavoAust 01-09-2008 07:35 PM

your amp wont cope with this. you'll need one slightly more powerful than the sub rating to avoid clipping when you crank it up. buy a new amp and avoid damaging both you current amp and the sub

70NYD 01-09-2008 09:40 PM

as for building ur own box its actually cheaper to go buy one from autobarn or somewhere. just get the cheapest sealed one thats about .7 - .8 of a cubic foot (for a 10") or .9 - 1 cubic foot (for a 12") this will give u good results. carpeting ur own box is whats gonna set u back, unless u do it ur self. lol might as well just build it haha. doing a .7 cubic foot box will give u sharp punchy bass, as you would find in techno, trance, dance n other continues beats. bigger or ported ones will give you a deeper but more sloppy basss

mickey_323 01-09-2008 09:52 PM

building your own is fun

for something cool, put a perspex window on it. wire up some nice neon glow and before you know it you got an awesome little setup :D

feel free to ask more questions bout it, thats what we are here for :)