AstinaGT Forums

AstinaGT Forums (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mazda Specific Talk (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Looking at buying a BHA, what should I be looking for? (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12719)

marcs_sp20 18-09-2008 12:23 PM

Looking at buying a BHA, what should I be looking for?

hey guys,

Tashs parents have decided to pay out the existing loan for her lancer, so that she can sell it and get a more sensible car to drive & insure, and first thing that came to mind was a mazda! :p

We did a little driving last night, and tash has come to the conclusion she likes both the BA Astina hatch & BHA protege.

I did a little hunting round on carsales & there are a few nice stock BA's with pretty high k's, but what stood out was a 1994 323 protege with 144,000ks for like $4900.

Now this protege has the B6 1.6L with 5speed, blue in colour & ugly 3 spoke 14" alloys.

So im aware for when the time is right in say a month to purchase another car, what would be the main things to look out on these?

of course, within the week of buying it, it'll have a set of rims, lowered, zorst & stereo :p

Cheers
Marc

bourbon 18-09-2008 12:39 PM

id have the perfect rims sittin here for it too :p ;)

marcs_sp20 18-09-2008 12:45 PM

The 18's? :D:D

bourbon 18-09-2008 12:51 PM

yep ;)

marcs_sp20 18-09-2008 12:54 PM

Noice!

Anyways, here's the Link for the car on carsales...

Cheers
Marc

bourbon 18-09-2008 01:05 PM

yeah i prefer the mazda version of this over the ford version...ford one is yucky!!!!

Rupewrecht 18-09-2008 01:32 PM

BHA Mechanicals + suspension are pretty similar to BA, so just the usual oil leaks and stuff like that.

BHAs are very cheap for what they are.

marcs_sp20 18-09-2008 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bourbon (Post 175179)
yeah i prefer the mazda version of this over the ford version...ford one is yucky!!!!

Pfft as if i'd own a ford :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rupewrecht (Post 175184)
BHA Mechanicals + suspension are pretty similar to BA, so just the usual oil leaks and stuff like that.

BHAs are very cheap for what they are.

Could you elaborate on that pleasems? I just want to be ready for when the time comes thats all :rolleyes:

bourbon 18-09-2008 01:45 PM

engine leaks, gearbox leaks... all the usual...just go over all the bolts on the outside of the engine & gearbox and you shouldnt have make issues after that...apart from if the seals are gone...

Rupewrecht 18-09-2008 01:50 PM

Cam cover + dizzy seal leaks. Clicking CVs. HLA rattle on startup. Color of the cams when viewed thru the oil cap hole (brown is fine, black is signs of neglected oil changes). Worn drivers seat side bolster (tho less of an issue with the flatter BHA seats).

And buying a Mazda means buying a Ford :p Moreso a post-96 one!

I imagine you'd find a BP DOHC one for much the same price as a 1.6, too.

DavoAust 18-09-2008 10:34 PM

looking at the 2 pics the rear tail light doesn't look like it lines up right. same as mine didn't when i got rear ended.

bourbon 19-09-2008 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavoAust (Post 175211)
looking at the 2 pics the rear tail light doesn't look like it lines up right. same as mine didn't when i got rear ended.

what ya mean? looks fine to me...i cant see anythin wrong with it...

marcs_sp20 19-09-2008 09:32 AM

Same...

project.r.racing 19-09-2008 10:45 PM

the bha in the link has power everything. most bha, especially the b6 models do not. so it's a better version bha than others.

gtarone 23-09-2008 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcs_sp20 (Post 175173)
of course, within the week of buying it, it'll have a set of rims, lowered, zorst & stereo :p

Lol, sensible car ha? Straight into the mods! You are a fake ninja! ;)

bourbon 23-09-2008 08:05 AM

body kits and custom paint jobs like that is on the lancer kills you with insurance...wheels, zorts and stereo and lowering dont effect the insurance much...

marcs_sp20 23-09-2008 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bourbon (Post 175485)
body kits and custom paint jobs like that is on the lancer kills you with insurance...wheels, zorts and stereo and lowering dont effect the insurance much...

My point exactly, but in this case, its the airbrushing that puts the insurance premiums high, something we cant afford...

A little car with just subtle mods keeps insurance companys at bay...

And steve those are the requirements of tash, I had nothing to do with it!

gtarone 23-09-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcs_sp20 (Post 175489)
My point exactly, but in this case, its the airbrushing that puts the insurance premiums high, something we cant afford...

A little car with just subtle mods keeps insurance companys at bay...

And steve those are the requirements of tash, I had nothing to do with it!

Lol, yeh i know wat a gf is like... :D but i love her all the same (incase she is reading)

So not possible to say... tell the insurance company NOT to include the paint? I understand that they get all sh!ty and don't pay out if u DON'T mention something, but if they know NOT to include it, what then?

PS: CAPITAL LETTERS FTW

marcs_sp20 23-09-2008 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtarone (Post 175490)
Lol, yeh i know wat a gf is like... :D but i love her all the same (incase she is reading)

So not possible to say... tell the insurance company NOT to include the paint? I understand that they get all sh!ty and don't pay out if u DON'T mention something, but if they know NOT to include it, what then?

PS: CAPITAL LETTERS FTW

We've tried every possible way to get it not included, and the only answer we get back is that as its part of the paint, they wont insure it, and if they do, its about $3000/year for a car worth only $10k, not worth it IMO.

Capital letters = yelling :p

gtarone 23-09-2008 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcs_sp20 (Post 175493)
We've tried every possible way to get it not included, and the only answer we get back is that as its part of the paint, they wont insure it, and if they do, its about $3000/year for a car worth only $10k, not worth it IMO.

Capital letters = yelling :p

ID TOTALLY PAINT OVER IT. THAT FIXES EVERYTHING.

CHEERS, STEVE