AstinaGT Forums

AstinaGT Forums (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction & Engine Conversions (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Fuel Regulator (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10461)

-dc- 24-10-2007 11:15 AM

Fuel Regulator

hi guys, i have a BPT and i was just wondering what a Fuel Regulator actually does? is it worth while installing one? any help would be great!

cheers

RedLineResident 24-10-2007 11:20 AM

from my understanding (i may be wrong) it controlls the fuel pressure going through your injectors, insuring that you will not run lean and cause engine knocking. It also (provided you fuel pump is decent) allows for more pressure through your injectors, the more juice you can supply means you need more air hence can run higher boost.

All in all it gives you a more constant fuel pressure which allows for some extra power and a nicer running car.

But like I said i could be wrong.

-dc- 24-10-2007 11:23 AM

ok cool, so for a car that is running higher than stock boost it is probably worthwhile to ensure that the flow of fuel is constant and makes sure there is definately enough fuel there when its needed.

bourbon 24-10-2007 12:28 PM

yeah best bet is get a fuel pressure regulator (adjustable one) that way it actually keeps constant flow of fuel...there was only a thread started about this yesterday in the performanec section and tuning i think...have a look in that one and there is a link to another thread ;)

-dc- 24-10-2007 12:50 PM

ok thanks bourbon, i didn't check in that section, ill have a look at it.

Dogo 24-10-2007 01:29 PM

it sits on the return line of the fuel rail and regulates the pressure in the rail by adjusting how much fuel is allowed to return to the tank.

Don't expect a huge increase in power from adding one. And they all essentially do the same thing, except that some aftermarket ones tend to be adjustable - you can increase the pressure to be more than standard. With the extra pressure you get a small gain in injector flow, but not much.

You'll need to set it properly when you install it. The standard BPT rail pressure is 45pounds from memory and I can't remember if thats with the vacuum hose ( to the regulator ) on or off

BigMal 25-10-2007 05:04 AM

Do you have an aftermarket ECU.
There are rising rate and 1:1 rate regulators. If you dont have an aftermarket
ECU a rising rate can allow you, with the aid of boost-cut override, to run over
the factory ecu fuel map. As boost rises the regulator increases pressure so
that each opening of the injector squirts more fuel as its under higher pressure.
Needs to be done on a dyno or with a wide band o2 sensor to make sure you
dont run lean and boom.
If you have a aftermarket ecu a flat 1:1 regulator is fine as the ecu will
control the extra enrichment.

Personally I would rate adding a VF10 way over this mod anyday.

-dc- 25-10-2007 06:53 AM

i just have the stock ecu at the moment. yeah ill have to do the sums and see which one is the most viable option and gives me the most bang for my buck.

cheer guys!

Dogo 25-10-2007 09:25 AM

bang for buck a cold air intake is probably a good start. Airbox with cold air duct is the way to go.

Also if you're running higher than stock boost a good intercooler is a MUST.

-dc- 25-10-2007 10:23 AM

i have done that stuff already, just trying to squeeze a little extra out of it now. i also want to ensure i dont starve it of fuel when its running higher boost.

BigMal 26-10-2007 02:13 AM

The BPT has the right regulator for the job so dont worry for that reason.

Get the VF10 you will smile much more trust me.

-dc- 26-10-2007 07:02 AM

ok cheers mal, ill have a think about it :) the vf10 looks better and better each time i think of it, im considering it seriously now. cheers

ROB-80E 28-10-2007 07:07 PM

Ok, everyone here so far has mentioned fuel flow and pressure in the rail so that the injectors aren't starved of fuel when on demand...so wouldn't it make more sence to replace the pump first? After all, it's the pump that has to ensure that it can supply enough fuel flow to MAINTAIN the pressure being set by the regulator.

Basically what I'm saying is that, without the pump there is no pressure, and that's what I'd be replacing before I worry about a reg. Walbro pumps are prooving their worth, i have one, and so do many other guys, and have had them running with no problems. So that's one option for you for pumps, otherwise you can go the best of the best with a bosch unit. Both are available in internal tank forms.

Cosmo Dude 28-10-2007 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROB-80E (Post 148227)
Ok, everyone here so far has mentioned fuel flow and pressure in the rail so that the injectors aren't starved of fuel when on demand...so wouldn't it make more sence to replace the pump first? After all, it's the pump that has to ensure that it can supply enough fuel flow to MAINTAIN the pressure being set by the regulator.

No...
Regardless of how much pressure the pump provides the pressure regulator will govern the pressure available in the fuel rail.
A pump may be able to back fill some volume but it's a half assed approach at best.

newman 28-10-2007 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmo Dude (Post 148228)
No...
Regardless of how much pressure the pump provides the pressure regulator will govern the pressure available in the fuel rail.
A pump may be able to back fill some volume but it's a half assed approach at best.

but a fuel regulator does that, regulates. It doesn't make the pressure, so where does the pressure come from?

Cosmo Dude 28-10-2007 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newman (Post 148229)
but a fuel regulator does that, regulates. It doesn't make the pressure, so where does the pressure come from?

Well you know the answer to that, the pressure originates at the pump. So what??? The regulator will do the same job regardless.

Cosmo Dude 28-10-2007 07:30 PM

The regulator doesn't drop pressure by X it maintains a preset pressure.

ROB-80E 28-10-2007 08:13 PM

Exactly...so what was your point behind you quoting me as if I was wrong? if the pump is unable to flow enough fuel to maintain the pressure set by a regulator when the demand of fuel through the injectors is high, there is no point in changing the regulator.

Astina pumps aren't that great at the best of times.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo dude

A pump doesn't provide pressure, it provides flow. The amount of pressure a pump can sustain is still governed by the amount of flow.

I still stand by my point that, the pump is a better place to start to ensure that you have enough fuel at your injectors.

RedLineResident 29-10-2007 08:35 AM

A safe bet is to do both from what im hearing here, so that gives you a place to start -dc-

Dogo 29-10-2007 09:36 AM

the standard BA pump is absolutely fine for the BPT and doesnt need to be replaced.

Rupe was using his up to almost 200kw wasn't he ?