AstinaGT Forums

AstinaGT Forums (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Automotive Talk (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   AstinaGT Meet (http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16169)

Ice88 04-03-2010 12:04 AM

AstinaGT Meet

Ok so getting some ideas for the meet. Last years effort was organised by Gav. <3

Two suggested places are Stanthorpe (NSW border) or Rainbow Beach. The latter doesnt really have any twisty roads or anything besides the road in out which usually has cops up and down it. Stanthorpes good because it does mean that NSW people dont have an extra 4 hrs drive to Rainbow, it makes it possible for them to attend at any rate.

Note: I know both of these places are in QLD, however seeing as most of the people that used to/go to the annual meet have been QLDers figured itd be nice to have somewhere closer to home so we can get more people this year :)

Time Frame:
This year after last years bad traffic over the easter weekend its been decided to pick a weekend and make it a long weekend. Could *perhaps* use a long weekend in 3rd term and take a sicky on the friday and have 4 day long weekend?

I dont have uni tomorrow so will take a look at google maps for driving roads. :)

-dc- 04-03-2010 09:11 AM

i'd love to go along but I think it might be abit too far from sydney for me and im not totally sure of my car reliability at the moment. Would definately be awesome to meet other AGT members though :(

marcs_sp20 04-03-2010 09:46 AM

to get other states interested, maybe we should hold it in newcastle and maybe around australia day like years gone past?

-dc- 04-03-2010 10:04 AM

yeah Newcastle is alot more practical for Sydney members and also very keen VIC/SA members too. It does make sense coz its about 1/2 way down the east coast

bourbon 04-03-2010 10:27 AM

newcastle is a nice place...the other one if forster :D

Rupewrecht 04-03-2010 10:35 AM

I'd be a lot more likely to attend if it's NSW and/or Newcastle.

chicaboo 04-03-2010 11:04 AM

It'd be really nice to catch up with the Sydney crew. I haven't seen Farm Boy and Amazer for yonks, and then you have your lurkers like Tim in his Green BA. :p

Mad Mat 04-03-2010 11:10 AM

hey i know i haven't attended these thing in the past. but i would live to this year. :D
would be good to see some of the NSW and VIC crew :)

scott b 04-03-2010 12:05 PM

if its in newcastle ill be sure to attend if i still have my license when its held

Ice88 04-03-2010 12:07 PM

There arent many good driving roads around stanthorpe theres the mount Lindsay highway that has a few good sections however its dirt for a few of those sections and rather skinny.

Im unsure of the road condition for part of this journey but it looks the goods:
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&s...,1.234589&z=10

If you guys want to go down Newcastle way where would you guys want to go? Same area as last year? Perhaps that place near the water at Coffs?

Coffs area has some great driving roads too, only thing is i dunno how many QLDers would come :(

marcs_sp20 04-03-2010 12:17 PM

How about a cruise to Berrima? ;)

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5615

chicaboo 04-03-2010 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcs_sp20 (Post 227537)

Mad Mat was on the list? I don't remember seeing him there! :p

That was a great cruise. McQuarries Pass is a very fun drive if you're not stuck behind anyone, and the place we had fuds at was great too.

Last time when I was in NSW in 07/08, I accidentally found an awesome road on the way to Wolloongong, with the fattest twisties ever!

Gav.

bourbon 04-03-2010 01:20 PM

coffs isnt near newcastle...its at least another 3-4hrs away...

Mad Mat 04-03-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bourbon (Post 227561)
coffs isnt near newcastle...its at least another 3-4hrs away...

3 hrs. and that place is boring as. :(

port mac is a good place. but if we are goin to do a good cruise we have to hit some mt's and twisties :D :D :D yer yer willis

WHO'S WITH ME

marcs_sp20 04-03-2010 06:27 PM

Coffs isnt that boring, if you want boring, go to Dorrigo :p Well thats apart from the drive to and from coffs, choice twisties! :D:D And lets no get stabbed at Juan's! :eek::p

I did a quick google maps search, basically its a 12hr drive to newcastle for the mexicans aka Victorians, and 10.5hrs for the QLDer's, so it really is a "meet in the middle" destination :)

mussing 04-03-2010 10:08 PM

I'd be keen to go if it's not around exam time and somewhere in NSW. It'd give me a good incentive to get the car completely sorted too :p

SP BLING 04-03-2010 11:16 PM

Dubbo is pretty central for everyone? About 5 hours from Syd and has easy access from Melb and Brisbane via inland highways.

outbakoz 05-03-2010 12:49 AM

Yes but other than the zoo, what the hell are we gonna do in Dubbo

Clean_Cookie 05-03-2010 12:48 PM

the zoo is quite cool if my 8yo memory serves me correctly! im keen to go but 12 hrs seems like a long drive on my own... perhaps i might enlist one of my buddies.

outbakoz 05-03-2010 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tc3_racer_001 (Post 227652)
im keen to go but 12 hrs seems like a long drive on my own... perhaps i might enlist one of my buddies.

I'll travel with you in convoy, 12hrs seems a bit rich, you should be able to do it in under 10 and not make any attempts at a landspeed record for an astina as long as you go through Moree (Newell Highway).

Biggest trip i did in the Astina was from Tieri, QLD to Perisher NSW, on my own and back again. Did Tieri to Gunnedah in one run except for fuel stops(i.e. fill it up, get a sandwich and a drink and back on the road asap), had a couple hours kip then off to Newcastle so i could pick up my sister, then off to Cooma, a quick night's sleep and away we went again, all for a week of snow skiing :D Pretty good going really, 2000k in less than 2 days.

http://www.whereis.com/?id=3D20C377FDC3CC

The funniest bit was pulling into Roma on the way back with roof racks on and snow ski's latched in and the girl at the counter looks at me real serious like and says "You do realise if you're looking for the snow fields, you are going the wrong way"