View Single Post
Old 08-07-2006, 03:46 PM   #31
LordWorm

Car: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Dude
Top fuel exhausts don't feed into a collector. If it didn't matter then why do their exhausts have a short primary pipe before bending to a longer section? Hell, why do they use an exhaust at all? Heat shields between the heads and the tyres should provide enough protection.
They are called zoom pipes. And quite frankly, i'd be wanting to direct exhaust like that away from me if i was the driver of a to fueler. the heat that comes off the exhaust on those things is enough to superheat the atmosphere and boil the water in the air around it INSTANTLY (the white stacks you see coming off the ends of them at night is superheated, supercompressed steam).

They dont need a collector, because the gas is expelled so voilently that they dont need to "suck" it out of the primaries... The speed that gas is expelled from most other cars is not fast enough to get out of the exhaust ports, through the manifold and out the exhaust pipe before the next pulse comes through, so scavanging is used to help suck the gas out as quickly as possible.

If we all drove around in nitromethane powered cars with 20:1 compression, we'd all have zoom pipes too... some hotrods have zoom pipes, but i think they are more about show than go.

Need parts? Contact sales@b3motorsports.com

Last edited by LordWorm; 08-07-2006 at 03:48 PM.
LordWorm is offline   Reply With Quote