View Single Post
Old 31-07-2013, 01:24 AM   #6
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Well it sounds right

but the reality is different. But it also varys on other aspects.

With out getting too technical.

Yes Ideal would be a high comp with boost and BPT ECU. Perfect would be BPT and matching ECU.
But all have large or at least a wide spread of safety on them.

What kills them is not so much your Octane - it's where you take it out of a mild range.

I'd say a BP stock comp etc with BPT ECU and either a more efficient not larger more efficient like fitting a late model unit. But Running Similar to sock Boost levels. Would net the most. You could even run it on just 95ROn. not just 98ROn.

Many have done it in the past to even more safe tuned cars.

it's not the fuel so much it's the Timing, and temperature
I was on a Aus Rotary cruise with my mx-6 when a bit cleaner and going harder.
It was January and we went to blue mountains.
All the S4-5 's running stock ECU had no issues.
All the injection perfection etc well My tool kit helped restart two Rx-3's
The rest from heavy 20B's to old school 4cylidners in 1600's.
Well - lets just say. from the M4 motorway to Katoomba. My car never had a problem.
I think it pinged once a peck boost at 3000rpm but climbing up, it cleared never came back.
Others were babying it. A lot of them Especially the IDA and webber cars were struggling in the HEAT.
It was HOT and it's as they say thinner air.
Here is the kicker, I was running at the time on Unichip. so stock ECU but with unichip running the timming. It only removed so much fuel, and it stopped the ECU from seeing air intake temps. But being still restricted by the stock ECU meant its was not in danger of any damage.
Unichip can only mode the fuel so FAR. we even left the boost cut on just lifted to 15psi. Yes it beeped on cold nights.

but the amount of cars knocked by the heat was staggering. It's the one thing you can't account for unless you tune in summer winter and on long under bonnet build up - traffic hot days or car parked in sun.

The Stock ecu dont' know 60-80 degree under bonnet air intake temp it just knows above 40 or above 60 and compensates. more modern ECU's are better by a long shot. But still it's very broad.

Keep the base timing sane and it will run and run for long time. I know of a VL turbo still original with RB 30 bottom end that was built for N/A engine reco. car is driven it's stock NO intercooler fitted even. doesn't even drink oil. Driven by a dill. Considering I built the bottom end over 8 years ago.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote