View Single Post
Old 05-09-2006, 06:30 PM   #21
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksp20
just bringing this one back from the dead.

I washed my car again the other day and noticed heaps of water in the usual spot on the carpet. Looking up I actually saw water dripping down the back of the clutch pedal, not the brake like I said earlier.

Since I had my brother handy, I removed the plastic panel from in front of the windscreen. I then shoehorned my big frame into the footwell upside down so I could see up under the dash, meanwhile my bro put the hose lightly onto the area behind the plastic panel, right above where the clutch pedal is. Water then poured down the clutch, so I am confident that this is where the problem lies.

I then looked around under the windscreen and there is a join between two metal panels where the firewall bends up to meet another panel that goes under the dash. The join between the two panels is really the only place where water could get through. I then pushed the clutch pedal and found that the drips actually increased. So I think that there is a very small crack between the two pressed metal plates that is most likely opening more when I push the clutch, as the firewall probably deforms slightly when doing this.

So I am confident in saying that the cure for all our leaking problems is some urethane (not silicone as it doesn't go well with paint) over the join between these two pressed metal plates. I will buy some this week and get back to you all with the outcome.

appologies for the length

blacksp20
Since I suffer from this, I am most eager for you to find a fix for us. I am not sure the pumping of the clutch pedal is causing a deformation that lets water through, you might just be lowering a bridge that lets the water across the pedal? But the amount of water that gets through is quite substantial, it's amazing Madaz has not done a recall for this...
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote