View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #171
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
And now on to another project: Dan Cuts Stuff - episode #576.

So, the BG Astina (pop-up headlight one) cam cover that i spent many hours customising (removed moulded lines and writing, flattening centre, generally smoothing) i've decided not to use. The plan was to fit a flat cover over the spark plugs for a bit more of a modern look. Oh, it's the black one in the pic below, too.

So instead, i picked up a MX-5 one for cheap because it was cracked where the cam gears sit. Perfect for what i wanted.

Because i then did this to it...

then this

and ended up with the rough shape i wanted

And then a few more bits taken off. Luckily this cam cover had the raised writing which made it easier. And that breather hole (and the IAC valve) is going to be filled and moved anyway as it isn't in the right spot when the cam cover is being turned 90° for the east-west configuration. And i've got to angle the cut end to be the same as the other end, which has a bevel all around. Luckily there's enough metal there...and if there isn't, then that metal putty stuff will fix all

Finally, the area of the letters smoothed nicely. It's going to be painted anyway so doesn't have to be perfect. Not sure what colour at this stage...but possibly body color when the car is resprayed (if that ever happens...!)

The BG cam cover i'm already running has a separate plate which sits behind the cam gears, so i can still fit a cam gear cover if i wanted to - which is required for legality in Vic...but exposed cam gears look cool, dammit.

More to come when i've done more hacking

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote