View Single Post
Old 20-10-2011, 06:46 AM   #140
TheMAN

Car: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildough View Post
Im pretty sure that the FP and FS have a knock sensor, I just checked my wiring diagrams and it say it has, not as flash as a J&S safeguard but it should do a better job of monitoring everything.
Your not using any FS O2 sensors or anything with your FP ECU?
the stock knock sensors are useless
the ECU has a slow response time and narrow timing adjustment range when knock is detected... please accept what I have to say, you are not safe using the stock knock sensor after significant engine modifications... I experienced this myself first hand after I upgraded the cams and intake manifold..... the ECU just couldn't compensate fast and good enough! I could hear the pinking under high loads! also, look at the hundreds who blew up their turbo FS motors with just some light modifications to their mazdaspeeds... it's not that the motor is weak (it is but really isn't), it's because it gets killed by detonation

like I said before, my friend's motor didn't blow up because he has a J&S.... motor got damaged yes (caused by a faulty wastegate actuator), but it saved it well enough to allow a rebuild... his brother also has a J&S and it kept the motor together running a lot of boost until the idiot blew it up because he didn't top up the oil!