View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 08:42 AM   #43
Sleepy Gonzalez
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 2002 Mazda 323 Astina 2.5 V6 manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo View Post
As I've posted before: the stock intake setup with a panel filter, and removing the entire grill gives you more power than you will ever get from a CAI. The entire mouth of the grill channels air into the stock air intake very well indeed. You can't measure this on a dyno, but the real world effects over a CAI are as noticeable as going from completely stock to CAI again. It looks sorta tough in a ghetto way too, but for the sake of drags, it's probably the single easiest way to get good ram air without chopping up your car...

Gav.
Yep, been there, done that. Didn't want the ghetto look, so I ended up just chopping out the area below the snorkel inlet.

My exhaust does not have a heat shield, which contributed to high intake temps(up to60 degrees!). Now have injen wrapped in 19mm thick Armaflex. Overkill, yes, but that's all I could get. Pipe is now cool, but I haven't yet checked the intake temp.

I'll post the temp difference soon, since it could be relevant to the thread, ie cheap, simple and easily reversible modifications.
Sleepy Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote