View Single Post
Old 05-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #17
himynameisbunny
AstinaGT Regular

Car: 97 Astina BA
Realised I hadn't really kept this thread up to date...

Newest developments with it:

Took it in for a major service - they did all the belts, water pump, valve cover seal, gearbox and motor oil and filter.

Installed leather shift boot and handbrake cover from TopGaiters. Couple of things I learned:
  • Vaseline/Paw Paw ointment and grippy gloves go a long way in regards to getting the handbrake cover on
  • Just because something is made by Mazdaspeed doesn't automatically mean it's better (I prefer the stock shift knob! )
  • The Mazdaspeed carbon-look knob weighs 77g and the stock knob weighs 316g.
  • The Mazdaspeed bung and shift knob don't play nice with an Ultrex short shifter. The bung can't get far down enough on the stick for you to screw the knob on.
  • I need to clean my car up before beauty shots are taken

Changed ALL the light bulbs (save for headlights and dash) over to LEDs from Easdar Tmall, iJDMToy and V-LEDs. I learnt the following:
  • The only bulb type I got wrong when selecting my bulbs was the rear parcel shelf - it's a T10/W5W/194 type.
  • The side repeaters, licence plate lights, map lights and boot light need really short bulbs to fit - make sure they are under 22mm from tip of bulb to where the actual wedge starts. The map light panel can be trimmed using pliers though.
  • iJDMToy bulbs are flimsy - would not buy again.
  • Of course, your indicators will flash fast after installing the LEDs - don't be a fool like me and buy this relay because it just won't fit
  • Instead, replace resistor R1 with a 330k resistor from Jaycar as per this thread - credit to ghetto3 (I haven't done this yet, too lazy )
  • I installed a leftover white globe in the high tail light while waiting for my red one - white globes are nowhere near bright enough, something about the lenses are filtering out that spectrum of light. Always buy the corresponding LED colour (i.e. amber for indicators)
  • They're a lot brighter with clear lenses
  • Installing the dome light festoon is a pain in the ass - the stock bulb sort of has squished ends to hold it in place between the contacts. Either squish with pliers or just bend the contacts until it fits.

More pictures of that later

Bought RS*R springs and KYB shocks from Mad Mat.
Bought from Phly:
  • Whiteline Camber Bolts (F/R)
  • Whiteline LCA Rear Caster Correction Bushes
  • Whiteline 20mm Rear Sway Bar
  • Whiteline Front Sway bar (already fitted, feels awesome!)

And also waiting for the following from GSL Rallysport so I can get it all installed at the same time:
  • SuperPro Trailing Arm Bushes (Front/Rear)
  • SuperPro LCA Inner Bushes
  • 2x SuperPro Sway Bar Links Front
  • 2x Tie Rod Ends
  • 2x Lower Ball Joints
  • Whiteline Rear Sway Bar Link Kit

And from Rupe, a LCA brace and some broken hatch headlights to toy with.

My Eunos 30X/MX3 clear front and Mazda Bravo side repeaters finally arrived, which I then learnt:
  • Don't buy clear repeaters from here, as they're dodgy as hell - socket only has two holes instead of stock four, and the provided globe socket is shoddy as and doesn't plug into our loom as well. Go some good quality rear FD3S crystal side repeaters I say! You get what you pay for (most of the time!)
  • Removal of repeaters is easy - slide towards front of car, lift rear of repeater out.
  • Same with front indicators - undo the visible screw, pull them out.

And just discovered last night that I've done 4000km since my last service and already my oil light is coming on around corners. Either my rings are shot as hell or I've got another leak somewhere yeah?

...and that's it for now
himynameisbunny is offline   Reply With Quote