Thread: Budget system
View Single Post
Old 21-07-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
Quote:
Originally Posted by RibZe View Post
I ran my mates 12" pioneer sub off my 4c before i got mine and it was absolutely pointless. (Bridged to 2c of course)
i disagree, mine is running off my bridge rear channels and its easily got enough punch enough for my needs. plus its a sony so

my recommendations:
- $150 HU, sony make nice HUs but dodgey speakers. their subs are all right though. kenwood are good, i dont like pioneer, they arent as slick as the others, JVC are ok

- $250 6" MTX splits, very nice speakers, i'm planning on getting a set, they have excellent clarity and great bass. if you want cheaper ones clarion make decent splits, so do JVC (i saw a set of 6" JVCs going for $140 at JB 2 weeks ago, i demoed them, they werent bad but the MTX's pretty much killed everything else i heard except some $800 bostons!)

- $100 6x9. your pick BUT:
> if you're gonna pay more and get a sub they aren't important, get something thats clear and wont affect your front sound stage but will fill the rear in nicely.
> if you're not getting a sub pay more for these, get bassy ones and tune them low to make up some of the lack of bass, i managed to get plenty of bass out of my kenwood 6x9 before i got the sub.

- $250 4ch amp. the amp you get will depend heavily on if you get a sub or not. if you get a sub go with a 4ch with an RMS rating that will power your front splits and can also power your sub with 2 channels bridged. if you dont get a sub and aren't gonna upgrade the speakers you only need one with slightly higher power output than the speakers needs.

- $150 sub. I got my sony 12" black sub with box for $93.. down from $300. go to a JB Hifi sale and ask for their best price, its often a lot less than the marked price.

so thats $900 with sub, $750 without. for that you'll have a good system. if you can't spend that much in one go (i know the feeling, i'm a uni student too) get the HU and front speakers. those 2 are probably 60% of the improvement. then get the amp, followed by the sub. 6x9's aren't really necessary if you get the sub, but they're nice (i hate having great fronts and bugger all from behind, it just sounds weird to me)
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT

Last edited by DavoAust; 21-07-2008 at 08:50 PM.
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote