View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 03:23 AM   #23
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Ryan: N15 is 'multi-link rear beam', which I don't consider IRS as one wheel is influenced by the other. They have an off-set boomerang shaped pannard of sorts too. There's not even a rear swaybar.

Rod: Personally I prefer the SR16-VE to the SR20-DE in stock trim, it has more power/torque everywhere. But both respond very well to breathing/exhaust mods, and the SR20 has more potential in that regard. UNTIL you stroke the SR16 to 2L [SR1620-VE], then you are looking at 200-225WHP with a cheapy fuel/ign computer [DFA if you're desperate], extractors and 2.5" exhaust.

Handling in the VZ-R is very good stock [a lot more reinforcing than SSS], but you are right about not being able to lower it. As with some Hondas, it seems to be best enjoyed at stock ride height. No real point comparing the N15 SSS to the BJ SP20 though, as they are a whole generation apart. Somewhat like comparing a VX Commodore to an AU Falcon... However, you can mod either car for an enjoyable ride, but the BJ can be much less coarse and more enjoyable if done right [Eibach/Tokiko].

EDIT: While I'm at it - I try not to be snob over rigid beam vs TTL [IRS], as after driving various cars I find very little evidence to say one is better than the other. Rigid beam offers more geometry radius [relative to the chassis] while IRS is effectively half that at best [relative to the road]. However in daily driving you may experience less upset on bumps with IRS. UNTIL you add a thick swaybar and end up with S-IRS. Rigid beam pretty much keeps the full surface of both tyres on the road [ignore geometry here], while S-IRS is more likely to load up the outer edge of your tyres due to the geometry/camber changing, even to the point of lifting the inside rear wheel clean off the road. Then again, lifting the inside rear wheel doesn't make for bad handling [205GTi, TX3, XR4]. So based on that I don't have any particular love for one or the other.

Last edited by chicaboo; 11-02-2012 at 03:51 AM.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote