View Single Post
Old 05-09-2010, 08:54 AM   #17
Orion
SP20 Member!

Car: Mazda SP20 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
You guys are not seriously considering buying those are you? The design of them is quite poor.

Front strut brace - lots of bends and where the bar actually bolts onto the end plates, these is nothing underneth it, as in the red end plate is not actually braced against any metal, so allows movement. (plus the negetive effect of what gav said).

Lower tie bar - the open end (left side of car) is at the wrong angle, and over time will move and doesn't have the correct design for 100% bolt grip.

4 point ladder brace - i don't have nothing bad to say about this, replacing a oem 35kg item with the 14kg ladder = less car weight = good thing. but it ain't gonna add any body regidity.

Rear strut brace - negetive aspects have already been spoken about. i don't see why it wouldn't fit the hatch though.

Rear v brace - how much extra bracing does a solid and fully welded bit of metal need?
Personally, I'm not much interested in the either of the strut braces. I already have a decent front brace and don't want the currrent version of the rear (I don't think they will sell any of those anyways.

It would be interesting to get a pic of a comparison brand, such as Cusco, for the lower tie bar. I'll see if i can find one this afternoon.

I'm pretty sure that you just plucked some numbers to make the point about weight loss. I know that you weren't trying to be accurately but as I have the information I thought that I post it up. The stock and KMR braces were weighed:
- Stock brace was 3.5 kg's
- KMR brace was 1.5 kg's
So the weight saving is 2 kg's. The KMR piece will be a little stiff compared to the stock metal piece but I'll agree that its something that is going to be barely noticable.

I think that the install pic of the rear V-brace are a little confusing. Yes, the panel connects on the solid metal piece in the car. It is the arms that provide the additional bracing. Here is a picture of the GT-Spec version:
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/g...jrco2ifailofh6

Exhaust: Autoexe headers; Custom midpipe; Racing Beat catback
Engine: AWR mounts; Twiggy cams; Custom CAI; RR Racing UDP; Mishimoto rad
EMS: Microtech LT-10; J&S Safeguard;
Gearbox: MSP LSD; Fidanza flywheel; 5th gear
Rims/Suspension: MX-5 rims; Tokico Illuminas; Eibach Pro-kit; Progress RSB; AutoExe STB
Exterior: MSP front lip & rear spoiler; Matt V headlights; AutoExe grill; EDM tails
Interior: JVC AVX-77; Autometer gauges; DaveBs; B&M shifter
Projects to come: Engine rebuild
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote