View Single Post
Old 22-05-2007, 09:37 AM   #18
FLiP

Car: 2005 Polo GTi
Send a message via MSN to FLiP
Your volume levels of built in amplification will not make a cent of difference no matter what brand you run. Sound quality however will vary between a no name head unit and a brand.

I suggest the main feature you look for is the in built high pass filter and low pass filter which means you can manage your frequencies from the driver's seat and not have to crawl in the boot to tweak, go back the the drivers seat to test and then back to the boot to tweak etc... pain in the anus. Tweak and listen simultaneously it's the only way.

Same goes for EQ, most people wouldn't have a clue how to use them, but once you play with it you will realise the flexibility and how you can change the sound to specifically suit your genre, some head units have some presets, they are usually bull****... make your own.

I personally would go with either alpine or clarion. I have an Alpine CDA-9855R, and i would never ever ever buy another head unit. It retails for $799, i managed $630 at JB-hifi, i think the guy nearly cried when he sold it at this price, he told me to get lost and never come back coz he'd forever regret the deal.

Anyways, the clarion definitely has the better features, so in your case with your budget i would go the clarion for the features. Pioneer is OK, but I'm simply not a fan, maybe it's because I've heard a cheap pioneer sub (gross) and every man and his dog has pioneer, I had the top of the range sony before the alpine, it was good, but retailed for same as alpine, and had less features and lower quality.

Don't rule out kenwood.
FLiP is offline   Reply With Quote