View Single Post
Old 28-03-2008, 12:59 PM   #35
Lawsy

Car: 323 Astina 92 (BP 1.8sohc)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedwards View Post
Here's hoping to save more than $40 in fuel between now and the next time you change them
The fact that he wont have to replace them for nearly 3 times the duration of normal spark plugs will help as well... just take them out and give them a clean up every 15 thou and they'll last ages.
Oh, and I drove to UNI in my Astina today.. Does that count?

This isn't exactly today, but I only found the thread now, so meh...
Be prepared for a long read if you're interested in lights on a BG and how to get around certain legalities regarding hi beams if you want to use projectors....
Lately, I have been totally obsessed with lights. Read: HID's, LEDs and making them perfect.

Situation and/or problem. (bourbon I'm looking at you).

You have a BG Astina and you want/have projector lenses with HIDs (they rock, you DO want these). Thus, you wont/don't have hi beams anymore from the main assembly. You'll also find that if you flick hi beams on, the low beams turn off (since there are two filaments in a H4, and both shouldn't be run at the same time under most conditions, which is why they are wired this way).

Solution.
Part 1.
I have spotlights. Win.
I have also used some engineering trickery to have my lo beams stay on when hi beam is selected.

I have 3 relay's and a capacitor installed to run my headlights. I've made an AND and an OR gate from three relays in order to have my low beams stay on if either hi or lo beam is selected. Lo beams stay as normal. On off, see the genius?
Now, for high beam, projectors stay on and spotties come on, resulting in ownage, with semi normal hi beams again. When I get HID's for my spotties, you better look out, cause if I hi beam you for 5 seconds strait (the time it takes for HIDs to get to max brightness) you'll die from the photons cutting through your eyes and melting your brain.
The capacitor is used to keep the HIDs on for a short period of time, as HIDs don't like igniting on and off quickly, this helps against accidents or switchgear problems (so it eliminates any flickering during switching).

Next post, part two of my little bogan lighting fun.

Last edited by Lawsy; 28-03-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Lawsy is offline   Reply With Quote