View Single Post
Old 26-03-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
derb

Car: 1993 BG Astina GT-X
I may even be there with you!

Street sprints are supposed to be for street registered cars. You'll get a few insane cars there that are nothing but body panels on a tube frame surrounding an engine, but when I went weekend before last there was the HSV club there, a bunch of Alfas, MX5-s, my little beast, my mate's bosses e92 M3 [that he got to drive, so jealous!], a bunch of Nissans, almost everything you can think of.

They will split the drivers up into groups based on the type/power of the car or previous lap times, which is nice as the last thing you want to have to deal with is some race car up your bum or having to wave people past constantly so you never get a solid lap. You either rent, or buy, a transponder from the office which is what gives you super accurate lap times down to the thousandth of a second and then you get sent out for 6 laps with your group. You basically spend the first lap warming up a little and then foot flat as you come on to the main straight and keep going until they wave the chequered flag at you, then you come back in after letting the car 'warm down' over the last lap.

They will call the next group to line up when the running group is about halfway through their laps so there is little time wasted. We believed there would be only 4 sessions, but they must have run at least 6-7 which was pretty good value for money. No passengers, but there is no limit to how many people can drive your car, as long as they are registered and pay their entrance fee. You only need long sleeve cotton pants and shirt and a helmet. No special race gear required, not even a fire extinguisher if you don't want to bring one. It really is a 'run what you drove here' type of event which is great and no-one seems to mind you sticking your head into their engine bays between sessions. Just bring lots of water/powerade/etc and prepare to have sore arms lol.