View Single Post
Old 27-07-2013, 12:58 AM   #4
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
No Not less grip. actually most likely less with the 195's but you MIGHT feel like more grip or should I say more response.
Not many like a softer edged tyre. It's a bit more tyre and useable but does give less feedback. On standard suspension it was the OLD way of getting grip. Works much better with stock suspension. Sidewall difference as well is Massive between tyre makers so even using say a soft Dunlop sidewall on a 195 will still be softer then a Bridgestone on 205.
If you ever see a track day on stock cars you find the guys who push it too hard all run on the Rim edge. Was reason back in the day - not so Aus but in the US Frod fitted wider tyres to many of it's Performance range. Not sure it work on the FWD as it did in RWD. but I remember something about 302 Stangs of the mid 80's getting better launch off the optional Pack.
Certain models don't go as well like a Tuned HONDA or Clio CUp etc. but the rest are still Street cars.

As for Availability - it's design feature. Nissan SSS- Sp20 Clio cup's Type R - all run on tyre Designed from spec different to main stream. So only so many tyre makers will put a range out. Or in most cases they only select one model to USE. They make them soft so you have too in the frist 1 to 2 year re buy that tyre. Like SP23 owners for 1st year was only the Bridgestone available at $350 retail. Top tyre but you paid for it.

On a 235-45 R17. It runs on so many different cars now . I get them cheap and I get mid range to top model tyres and of course bottom. I can get them cheaper then the more common 17 inch after market size of 215 and 205.

Which is why many move a size up if room available.

The other side of the tyre toss is Price. If majority put aftermarket rims on Sp20's well then demand for that size drops and availability at a good price goes away. Lucky enough cheaper brands like to Fill this void.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote