Thread: SP20 speakers
View Single Post
Old 27-01-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
lewwy

Car: '01 Astina SP20
Quote:
Originally Posted by phildough View Post
I would recommend a either a set of 6.5" or 5"x7" splits in the front doors and 6" 2 or 3 ways in the back doors.
But I wouldn't recommend Hertz though as I bought a set of $900 Hertz Splits and went thru 3 sets of them in 1 month,
The australian rep told me he was going to "bypass the active crossover protection" as this was a known fault.
I asked how he intended to do this and he said by soldering a wire bypassing the active protection he then faxed a page showing what to do to where I bought them from.
I looked at the diagram and discovered it was shorting out the thermal overload circuit, I called a few speaker repairers then called the rep back and told him I would be returning 3 sets of destroyed speakers and will be getting a full refund as the goods were not fit for their intended purpose and not as described as well as not what you would expect in a pair of $900 competition speakers, after that he started yelling at me down the phone.

I replaced those speakers with a set of JL Audio Evolution ZR 650 CSi Splits making my entire car JL Audio and have never looked back.
I would highly recommend JL Audio to anyone. One of my amps is about 5 years and still as good as new.
Just sit down when you ask for the price of the ZR series.
Mine were $1399 RRP at the time!!
Yeah... but the thing is it that I'm not so much buying competition speakers. I just want something to replace whats better than stock. Surely the thermal overload thingy wouldnt trip for normal use?

Also I'm not so keen on putting splits in my car, cuz then I'd have to put a hole in the triangle thingy next to the window to fit the tweeter. Can you get speakers that have the tweeter already in them?

I'll still have a look around for different brands etc. I know Clarion makes pretty good stuff, but is the quality retained at the lower end of their product range also? I'm looking at spending about $250-$300 for a pair.
lewwy is offline   Reply With Quote