View Single Post
Old 01-08-2007, 09:24 PM   #8
Bear

Car: 2007 True Red Mazda 3 MPS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogo View Post
Also, I'd go a sealed box not ported if you want strong, clear punchy bass. Ports make it loud, but tend to 'blur' the sound
can't agree more ... now ... let's see if I can remember this one properly ...

one way to think about it is that, everytime the speaker is punched, the surface bounces like a trampoline ... you then tune the size of the box to provide a resonance chamber of the correct size for the performance, size, and material of the cone ...

now, if you run a ported box, you will be relying on tuning the size and length of the port to suit the harmonic frequency of the sub to promote production of the best sound pressure waves ... but the unfortunate side effect is that there's nothing to stop the sub cone from springing back and forth uncontrollably except the signal from the amp

now if you run a sealed box, the air under the speaker acts like a shock absorber and it helps stop the cone flapping about and makes for a far crisper, punchier sound ... but the trade off is that it's not quite as loud ...

so it all boils down to boomy or punchy ...

"It's a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I just beat people up" - Muhammad Ali
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote