View Single Post
Old 02-01-2007, 09:55 PM   #46
LordWorm

Car: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipa
I've always thought they would only work with a straight pipe with absolutely nothing in the pipe. My thinking is that things such as bends in the pipe, sensor mesh and then the throttle body itself would prevent a true 'swirled' airflow. So all you end up with is another restriction in your intake....
bends in the pipe (mandrel bends that is) shouldn't alter the "swirl" effect...

but more to the point, and you sort of hit on it a bit, you need to get as much volume and velocity to the throttle body as possible - once it hits that its going to get disturbed, and you've (on our cars at least) only got a very short space to remove the turbulence in the runners.

Swirling hte air is introducing turbulence...yes it may speed the air up slightly (i stress *may*) after the swirly device thingy - but its highly doubtful that you'll get as much air to the intake manifold as you would if the air was "unswirled".

2 things you want: velocity and volume... its a trade off..you can have super high velocity, just use a straw to suck air in..but you wont get much volume of air...theres rules of thumb for how to get close to the perfect trade off (i think on an NA car is something like intake pipe 125% the diameter of the throttlebody).

By putting something in the pipe to make it swirl, you are slowing the air down for one, because hte air has to travel around the swirly thing - and secondly you are restricting the amount of air getting into the pipe in the first place.

but hey..try it out..like i said before, i'm no engineer.....the skeptic in me puts it up there with ionizing lamps for improving your well being, and plastic balls you put in your wash instead of soap powder....but I could be horribly wrong.

Need parts? Contact sales@b3motorsports.com
LordWorm is offline   Reply With Quote