View Single Post
Old 15-07-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
If you get a full "VRS" [I think it's called] gasket kit, you will get all the gaskets for the whole engine just about, and the stem seals. Mine was $90 when the AU$ was better, so now maybe they cost $100-120 off eBay? Sometimes they like to replace the head studs as a precautionary measure, they might be $150-200 for quality studs like ARP. I have no idea how much decking would cost, maybe a couple hundred. But then it's cost is associated with other labour costs too, so it's hard to gauge...

Yeah, it's just a hose with a gauge at one end, and the other end goes into the spark-plug thread. While they crank the motor they just watch the blip on the needle for the reading. A leak-down compression test is more involved, but I'm not clear on the details. Just a warning though, I've been told that leak-down tests won't necessarily reveal everything wrong with the head of the motor. There's other things they can do like checking the coolant for gas bubbles some how. Just tell your mechanic you want a thorough diagnosis before making your decision.

Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote