Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Communities > Australia Wide

Old 07-04-2005, 08:21 AM   #1
Mattzda

Question Noobie needs some help

Hello ppl

just signed up, looks like a great site for info.

the wife and I are in the market for a 2nd car and I like the look of the 94-97 Astina. Is that model a BA? Currently doing a bit of research...

Anyways, was wondering if someone could share some info about that particular model. What should I be looking for in a used Astina? Any common faults to be aware of? What should i be paying?

I've noticed that there seems to be 2 different engine types the 1.8 and 2.0 V6. is either one more reliable? Does the V6 use a lot more petrol?

We have always had Nissans as our 2nd car (Exa, NX, Pulsar and Silvia), my only experience with Mazdas was an 82 323 about 10 years ago and a Ford Probe which cost me $$$$$. But i'd like to give an Astina a go.

any info/advice appreciated.

Matt
Mattzda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2005, 09:34 AM   #2
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

Car: auto
ford probe will have a similar engine to the V6 astina if thats where all your money went. thyere both good engines 1.8 and V6 but the v6 requires more TLC

cheers mike
pr1mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 09:37 AM   #3
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Hi Matt,

I can't give you first hand experience with the BA as I own a BJ, but the performance issues I have noted are:
*BA Hardtop - Easier to modify things under the bonnet since there is more space. Looks good with very little effort, ie: lowered, tinted tailights and windows.
*V6 - much more power potential for mechanical upgrades, and sounds unreal! Check if the car has a KF-ZE in it before buying. Otherwise it would generally have a KF-DE I believe? 5 stud wheel pattern makes choosing wheels easy.

And if you do like tinkering, any BA looks like it's just had a 4" lift kit put on it, so lowering would be fun. The hardtops and hatches seem to have good parts availability aswell, and doesn't take much effort or money to make them look top shelf...
But as far as generally being happy enough to buy a car and appreciate it for what it is. I couldn't say, I've never driven one. I do find Mazdas very rewarding cars to drive in general so far though. I think their higher quality lends themselves to better resale value, and they have made some of the best (and worst) looking cars around in the last 15 years...

Welcome onboard,
Gav.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 10:34 AM   #4
pr1mo
I MUST STOP MAKING STUPID POSTS! Yet I keep on making them. And I wonder why I get banned?

hmm by the sounds of things matts after a 2nd car so i dont think modifying is a huge issue there however ill let matt be the judge of that.
Old 07-04-2005, 05:53 PM   #5
Red Frog

Car: My feet :p
i recommend having a look at stats at redbook.com.au
Old 07-04-2005, 07:05 PM   #6
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
If you're looking for a second car I'd be guessing that it's a daily run-around.
The V6 would be the pick of the bunch and now they don't cost much more than the 4. Problem is that they are few and far between as they cost $36,000 new and that was the price of a Berlina or Fairmont.
I had a '96 1.8 hardtop and it put up with a lot, daily driver to work and back (90km per day) for three years as well as two years of motorkhana duty. I'd like to get another when the finances improve, maybe a V6 next time.

V6 had airbags across the range and ABS optional on early model and standard from '96 on.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:10 PM   #7
Mattzda

Thanks guys

The V6 had the foggies standard yeah?

I'll have a look at redbook.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:19 PM   #8
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Yeah,
Cheaper to buy a V6 than buy a 4 and put Mazda fog lights in
Old 08-04-2005, 06:49 AM   #9
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Car: 1990 GD mx6 F2T, and soon I might drive the batmoobile once again
Send a message via MSN to boostedbatman
Just thought I would say is I love my BA Hardtop.
Yes as Primo said the v6s do require a lot of TLC.And thats the hard part to judge at a sale. A car may look clean and neat with a shiny enginebay and then wring the things neck whenever it gets driven. So be careful
boostedbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 09:13 AM   #10
pr1mo

yep thats the only thing thatd scare me about a v6. you also gotta remember that series 3 astinas i.e. BA11P3 vin numbers are the poverty pack versions where they scaled back alot on quality. if i were you id be looking at a late 95 mdl BA11P1 if your going for a 1.8 or any BA11F1 or F2 if your getting a V6. basicly dont by anything with the new wings bagde on it

cheers mike
Old 26-04-2005, 12:58 AM   #11
exa70c

Car: 97 BA Hatch
hey im sorta in the same situation as matt
i currently own an exa and its just giving me too many problems so im in the market for a new BA hatch as well cuz i love the shape

pr1mo: so ur saying that a 94-95 model will be more reliable than a newer one? ie 96-97?

in general: would i be better off buying a 1.8 or v6 if i might plan for performance upgrades later on?

(sorry for thread hijacking but it just seemed like i'd ask the same questions)
exa70c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 01:01 AM   #12
exa70c

Car: 97 BA Hatch
and yeah no one answered the questions about what common problems BA hatches had. i really need a reliable car this time round so any advice would help

thanks
exa70c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 09:52 AM   #13
pr1mo

hi exa,
what i was saying with the vin codes is that a series 3 has several aesthetic changes which arent as good as the earlier series 1 and 2. this will have no bearing on reliability i imagine
Old 26-04-2005, 09:57 AM   #14
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
pretty sure all BA's are very reliable ... as far as engines go ou have hte option of the 1.8 whihc can be replaced with a 1.8 turbo or the v6 which can be replaced with a 2.5 jap spec v6 ... the turbo option being far more common ... Jynx from this site has a turbo BA for sale at a very cheap price ... conversion only done a year ago

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 10:13 AM   #15
CityEnd

Car: .
yeah the only known problem the BA has is the CV joints, but once that is replace the there isn't much else wrong with the car....

I've had my car for over 5 yrs now and it has never broken down on me,
CityEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 11:44 AM   #16
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Quote:
Originally Posted by exa70c
pr1mo: so ur saying that a 94-95 model will be more reliable than a newer one? ie 96-97?
no, it's just that a 94-95 has a stronger gearbox in it if you're going to increase performance by 100%+. As stock/slightly modded it makes no difference

and RE CV joints - i've never replaced mine due to breakage. CVs are a wear item on pretty much any fwd car though

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 12:24 PM   #17
AS7INA

Send a message via MSN to AS7INA
Nice choice of car newbee! Love my BA the best car ive owned! sexy!
AS7INA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 01:05 PM   #18
pr1mo

reowwww!
Old 26-04-2005, 01:41 PM   #19
Mattzda

I got me a 95 BA Hatch last Sunday...very happy...so far.
Old 26-04-2005, 03:58 PM   #20
pr1mo

nice man. check the VIN is it a 11P1 or 11P2?