Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 08-09-2005, 09:56 AM   #1
Noble323
E74A

Car: SP20
Pinging On V6 Astina ??? Help ???

Hi,

For a while ive had some pinging noise in my car, even though i use that octane boost & use BP ultimate, it still pings - im not sure what to do or what i can do, anyone that can help me ???

Also ive noticed that it mostly pings after ive been driving it for about 15-25minutes and pings through out the day, im not sure - just a guess but i think it pings when the car is hot.

So please can anyone help ?
Noble323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-2005, 10:09 AM   #2
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
boostedbatman (pete) is the expert on BA V6 ping.
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 06:16 AM   #3
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Car: 1990 GD mx6 F2T, and soon I might drive the batmoobile once again
Send a message via MSN to boostedbatman
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilightprotege
boostedbatman (pete) is the expert on BA V6 ping.
My car pinged for 2 years and we never really could find the source of the problem
We dont use a knock sensor to start with
If your timing is slightly advanced then retard it a bit more I feel that as these engines age they lose their effectiveness a bit (Are you due for a new timing kit)
Pinging is related to your combustion effectivity so I would
Start with a good dose of Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner
If you are using a pod style air filter..clean it
Have your injectors flow tested
Check Sparks for heat signs on the tip..... maybe go 1 stage colder
Stick to the same fuel al the time (burn rates vary on all fuels)

Other things to check are ECU codes (EGR, distributor etc)
Being a v engine with single feed fuel rail one side suffers starvation a bit more than the other and the pinging will rear its ugly head sooner due to one side being slightly leaner, a dual-feed steup helps this out

This is a start and there are more UGLY things that can cause these problems which are based around compression but think small for now
boostedbatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 12:13 PM   #4
Caveman

Great info, boostedbatman.....

I've notice my BA V6 has been pinging a bit lately.
I'll have to check out all the things you've mentioned to see if I can sort it out.

Sounds like a common problem for the V6 then.???

BTW, can anyone recommend a place in Brissy to have my car tuned...doesn't seem to be running as well as it should be.???

Cheers
Old 08-09-2005, 12:43 PM   #5
skippy
Resident Dissident

Car: Alfa 156 TS
how old are your leads and sparkies?
skippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 01:47 PM   #6
Noble323
E74A

Spark plugs are about hmmmmmm maybe 6000kms old and leads im not sure, maybe there the originals i really dont know.........

But i know it was pinging even when i put new plugs in about 6000kms ago.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:59 PM   #7
Toyboy

Car: Ba Astina
Send a message via MSN to Toyboy
Try changing your fuel filter aswell dude,when they clog up they limit the amount of fuel getting through and could cause it to lean out and ping,cant guarantee thats the problem though.
Also check your timing,it could be advanced a little too far.
Good luck, Cheers,Theo
Old 12-09-2005, 05:40 PM   #8
Noble323
E74A

Thanks boostedbatman for your feedback,

But i tryd heaps of things even took it to Mazda and the idiots said that i need to put octane boost, seriously thats pretty stupid cause i told them i already put that in and always run BP Ultimate fuel,
* Spark plugs are changed,
* Fuel is always the same,
* Air filter is standard and changed,
* Plus i just did a full service on the car, changed everything including fuel filter

Honestly if you heard the car pinging when its bad, you'd say WTF !

Been to heaps of mechanic , all just guess - one said it might be my cat converter, was ganna changed it, but im just wasting money from other what they say .

And reguarding about other V6 having this problemi know 3 other v6 and they all say never has any noise or heard yet of any ppinging on there cars yet,
Old 12-09-2005, 06:18 PM   #9
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
have u checked the timing ?

it may have jumped a notch.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:23 PM   #10
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Caveman, I would take my car to J&S Autocare at Brendale
Steve there will be able to help you out he is a family friend of Andys and has worked on my car numerous times. Between Joseph and Steve they have somewhere in the region of 26 years experience working at Mazda and they wont jack you around. I never got charged what I expected the cost to be
Noble323, only recently I had my cat converters checked and they were fine and I had many years of pinging and 220k on the clock. We have 2 cats on the KF just below the manifolds and I would doubt at this point that they are the problem (I'm not always right though ).
How smooth is your car at idle?? be picky!! If you have a few ks on the clock I would recommend changing the IM gasket the engine loves this.
But I highly recommend the carbon clean (Subaru Upper Engine Cleaner) its about $20 spraycan from Subaru and is easily the best on the market.

Another thing to get checked would be the TPS on the Throttle Body and the MAF ( mine just died and I got a new one) but now I will be running the Microtech without so I dont need it anymore.............bugger
Caveman where abouts in Brisbane are you from, I am at Stafford and if you are ever in the area feel free to drop me a line, there are a lack of v6 boys up here I may even have some parts if you ever need any now that the car is off the road during the KL-ZE NA monster build.............yup still going, and going..............slowly
Old 12-09-2005, 08:49 PM   #11
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
yeah mention my name (andrew bode) at j&s autocare at brendale and they'll help you. both joseph and steve started their mechanic life at grand pricks mazda at aspley
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:51 PM   #12
Caveman

Cheers Twilight, and Batman....I'll have to check out J&S Autocare then, sound like a good place to go to that I won't get messed around at.

Batman, I'm in Rochedale, but I do get around......I'd be keen to pop in and see the progress on your car, looks like a pretty awesome project so far.
Old 13-09-2005, 04:38 AM   #13
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Yeah pretty awesome superslow project, I can never seem to earn the money fast enough
But I will get there in the end and it will be worth it
Pete
Old 13-09-2005, 08:18 AM   #14
Caveman

LOL....isn't that always the way with cars...never enough money to keep up with the modifications we want to do.

Pulled a couple of plugs last night, and they looked a bit burnt, so I might get a cooler set. Also had a squiz into the combustion chambers, and there looked to be a fair amount of carbon build up in the piston face. Looks like I'll be heading to Subaru to get some of that cleaner.
Old 13-09-2005, 04:17 PM   #15
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Thats the spirit
What plugs are you using atm
Old 15-09-2005, 11:23 PM   #16
CRA23

Car: a helichopter
Send a message via MSN to CRA23
wow i must have a lucky engine ive never get any pinging...

if it stops at around 4000rpm it could be something to do with the vris(varible resistance intake system, this is what gives i that kick) cos it opens up at 4200rpm and lets more air in so it may be stuff built up in the intake manifold, go grab a can of the subaru upper engine cleaner,

for the oil comsumption i think u might have a blown head gasket i dunno how to check cos we cant look in to the radiator, but open the radiator cap on the left hand side of the engine(not when hot!!!!) and start the car and see if there is any bubbles in the in there, thats the only what i know how to check, but other ppl may be more helpfull

as for the auto(ive also got one) mine does change down but not untill i come to a complete stop, its really anoying i allways use the hold function i hardly ever just use it as a normal auto, i took my gear box to get serviced the other day not at mazda and they said said it had never been serviced before!, the magnets where supposidly 6x bigger than they were ment to be and wont last any more then 6 months, after i heard this i checked my owners manual and it said never to replace the auto fluid which this is totaly wrong, im goin to give mazda a ring and see what they have to say about it
Old 16-09-2005, 05:04 AM   #17
boostedbatman
Manpink Crusader

Mr Gibson
Oil!! and lots of it. Try jacking up the front end of the car and lookin up behind the engine some times when the valve cover gaskets get old they will leak but this is is the only easy way to find out if the rear is leaking on the RHS. If you can get enough head room and a torch up there have a really good look (especially around the power sterring pump for run off). Whilst under the car use your torch and check everywhere even the front where you may have been able to see from the top but just try it anyway.
Still no luck..........
( I dont normally condone this practice) but when the engine is cold and at night, psrk with a street light at your front bumper, then take off with no cars around like a madman and the right foot planted to the floor. Keep your eyes fixed to the rear view mirror and see if you can notice a brown haze from behind. You do this becuase a cold engine will not be as efficient as a warm engine and with cold rings and valve seals they will easily show signs of wear.
If you have noticed any bad smoking from doing this then we have a problem houston.
P.S. remember even a healthy engine will smoke a bit when cold at WOT but we are looking for lots of it
As for a busted head gasket is concerned these are possible examples of diagnosis (although Mazda shouldve picked this up at some point) Missing/low lumpy idle, excessive pressure in coolin system/ bubbles in radiator cap, water droplets from a warm engine through exhaust, water in oil (changes oil to creamy light coloured consistency)/excessive oil consumption, fouled spark plugs, water on piston tops (try and shine a torch down the spark plug recesses to see the piston tops with car in N and use a spanner to turn the engine via the crank with each piston being easier to view when at the top

VRIS....... as tim said this may be your problem. They are two round actuators mounted at the rear of your Intake Manifold (IM). Check the wiring loom is cliiped in securely and you should be able to push the needle in to activate the valve. If they feel a bit prone to "stick" then they may be the problem. Push the needle in and give a quick squirt of WD40 etc into the back of it. Munually activate the valve again to see if it frees up

As for the brakes I would go and stick a pole up Mazda and say WTF seeing they did the work
Old 16-09-2005, 09:44 AM   #18
jgibson

Ok Ive had a look ... I found quite a thick coating of oil on the power steering hose and right front axle. I cant pin point where its coming from but it does sound like valve cover gaskets might be the cause. When I first start the car (cold) there is a loud lifter click that comes from the same spot the oil may be leaking, not sure that its relvant just thought id mention it. There is some carbon build up on the back of the car (near the exhuast) could just be from city driving though, I drive from Avalon to Randwich every week day. About the pinging. Im using 91OC fuel due to the very high prices, when I have used 95-98OC in the past the pinging is still there but not quite as loud.
jgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2005, 10:26 AM   #19
jgibson

Just did some more testing. When I rev the car in N and on a cold engine there is blue smoke. I dont know what you consider to be a lot, but it didnt seem very normal. I cant find the two round actuators for the VRIS but ill keep looking. Thanks for the help.
jgibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2005, 11:17 AM   #20
Caveman

My V6 also has the loud lifter click when it's idling....this is cused by the hydraulic lifters sticking...normally caused by dirty oil. After a couple of recent oil changes mine has gone away.

Blue smoke from the exhaust indicates oil burning in the cobustion chambers....could be worn rings, or worn valve stem seals. If it's only when the engine is cold, most likely just the valve stem seals, if it's all the time, then more likely rings, and could be very costly.
Can you notice the smoke when you are driving around, or only when you are standing at the back looking at the exhaust.?....just trying to get a gauge on how much oil you are burning to see if it could equate to the amount you are losing.