AstinaGT Regular

Car: Mazda 3 & BA Astina
SP BLING's SP23

Here's my current daily driver......The car as purchased new in May 05:

Mazda 3 SP23 - Leather/BOSE pack - Colour: Sunlight Silver

Dyno Results:

91.0kW - JAN 2007
Mods: K&N Panel Filter, Advanced Timing, 98 Octane Fuel, Stock 17" Wheels

Last edited by SP BLING; 04-03-2009 at 09:04 PM.
SP BLING is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
SP BLING
AstinaGT Regular

The car was involved in a front ender after just 3 months of ownership - thankfully we were insured.

The accident put the car of the road for 3.5 months, but enabled us to do a little "modding" while being rebuilt. The new stock front bar was modifed to have the honeycomb black plastic lower grille removed and fitted with silver mesh instead. Mounting tabs for the plastic grille were cut off and sanded smooth before being painted. A new fiberglass grille was fitted to the bonnet whcih removed the big Mazda logo. The headlights (both new) were cracked open and had the orange side reflectors removed and angel eyes (rings) fitted around the 2 chrome rings inside the light, then re-sealed and fitted to the car.

This was the start of the "modding".... then the bug bit......

Within a few months after all this, the Car was lowered using "KMAC" springs (these were sh1t and didn't last too long ) along with the brake calipers painted red. Custom ordered number plates of ASP.023 were also fitted.

The KMAC spings were later pulled out and replaced with a set of Eibach Sportlines along with a set of Mazdaspeed Shocks (imported from the US). The Eibachs lowered the car a further 5-10mm and made it sit super low. Ride quality was improved 50% over the KMAC springs previously fitted as the Eibach's were progressive. The Mazdaspeed shocks also helped firm up the ride as well, though not too good for Sydney's roads....

Technafit braided brake lines were also fitted at this stage. This improved the factory braking system greatly - even with the stock pads still fitted!!!

Old 04-03-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
SP BLING
AstinaGT Regular

DEC 07:

- I decided to give the car some golf ball aerodynamics (thanks to hail storm in December 07 that went through Blacktown)

Damage to Windscreen (now replaced), front drivers guard, bonnet and roof. Very lucky considering I was driving through the middle of the storm at the time. Hopefully should be repaired by April/May.
- Number Plates have now been changed to SP23XS

- Eibach Sportline springs have now been swapped out for Pedders Sports Ryder. The Eibach's were just not suited to the MazdaSpeed Struts and as such made the car too bumpy/harsh. Great for a race track, but shocking (Literally) on Sydney roads. The 10mm or so raise of the car now gives the suspension a little more travel and has made the car very nice to drive now. Handling hasn't changed between the springs.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
SP BLING
AstinaGT Regular

MARCH 08:

X Force Headers & High flow cat + MPS 3 Exhaust sourced for a bargain price

Well the 3 now roars!!!..... And yep, it's pretty loud :thumbsup:

Previous 2" stock system:

New 2.5" system with High flow cat, no second cat. A flange was welded on after the main muffler to allow for the system to be removed if needed.

The MPS system had to be extended at the front to cater for the removal of the second cat, but other than that it would've bolted straight up. The rear mini muffler was removed from the system to allow for the custom twin 3" tips hanging out the back. The rear bumper was also expanded on the inside to fit the two tips in the hole, instead of just the one.

I must give credit to the guys at Westside Mufflers :thumbsup: These guys know how to weld!!!! It took them approx 7 hours to fit the whole mandrel bend system with every joint TIG welded.

==================================================

The resonator removed from the rear of the stock MPS3 system was added back in a week later due to the excessive (read above legal limit) noise. An additional resonator was also added up the front of the system where the 2nd Cat used to live.

So all up my car now has 3 resonators and 1 muffler. And the result........Bloody brilliant!!!!! Sounds deep as and is semi quiet, instead of a car farting into a large milo tin while rattling your house as I drove past
Old 04-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #5
SP BLING
AstinaGT Regular

APRIL 08:

Fibreglass MPS3 rear wing with carbon fibre overlay

And the final look after installation...

Installation was relatively easy - done in approx 1 hour start to finish. It does leave two holes in the top of the hatch, but these will be removed shortly along with the BLOODY hail dents. You do though need to drill an additional hole for the brake light cables to go through.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:26 PM   #6
SP BLING
AstinaGT Regular

MAY 08:

Car was handed over to the smash repairers in late April to finally get the hail damage repaired.

Well unfortunately the Microtech won't be in for Dynoday thanks to some very slow hail repair work at the Smash Repairers. I'm now going to be lucky to just have my car in time for the day, let alone have any performance work done to it.

But hopefully it will have a totally new look in time for OZMAZDA Dyno Day on the 24/05/08! :thumbsup:

Here's a sneak preview:

Well at this point something flipped in my head.... The mod bug had seriously bitten this time and big $$$$ spent

Anyway I'm still aiming to crack the 120kw at the wheels in the next few months with the end goal to get it up to 130kw using the stock bottom end of the engine. Though I'm not sure how well it will go with the stock compression ratio of 9.2:1 :whistling:

This is the plan to hit 120kw @ the wheels (well today anyway lol!!!)
  • Headers - Installed
  • 2.5" High Flow Cat - Installed
  • 2.5" Mandrel Bend Exhaust - Installed
  • Custom 3" Cold Air Intake (CAI) including enlarged MAF section - Ordered
  • Balance Shaft Delete Kit - Awaiting install
  • Cosworth Intake Manifold - Coming Soon
  • 67mm Throttle Body - Awaiting install
  • Microtech LT10S - Awaiting install
  • Full Dyno Tune
To get it the Mazda 3 past the 120kw mark it will require some serious head work.... And for a Mazda 3 that has very little aftermarket product support, that means a lot of $$$$$$$
Old 04-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #7
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
thats bloody awesome dude! so much detail i love it
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:54 PM   #8
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
It's just too bad it's AN auto

But it's really too low to do any real escape driving in sydney. LOL

So self shifting is a advantage LOL
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:56 PM   #9
SP BLING
AstinaGT Regular

Anyway up to present day now.... If you make it this far in reading - Congrats!!!

The TechEdge Wideband o2 is now installed and successfully working. It was installed early Sat morning prior to leaving for a long dive down to Wagga for the weekend.

AFR's sitting at a perfect 14.7 while cruising at 110km/h.

Now I can finally fine tune the rest of the ECU while driving myself, without having to pay for more Dyno time. Just need to workout the in's and out's of tuning first.......

Still need to sort out the signal from the A/C compressor as well so I can adjust the tune when it kicks in. Unfortunately it's not a 12v switching signal, but rather a digital sinewave of 0-1.0V. A trip to Jaycar is needed....
Old 05-03-2009, 08:53 AM   #10
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
Hadn't realised you'd done so much to it - very impressive

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 09:14 AM   #11
marcs_sp20

Car: 2002 Mazda Astina SP20 2006 Mazda 6 GY Wagon
I read every single update as soon as it was put up, basically by the time I had read one and refreshed the forums, a new post had been put up!

Very very impressive, a lot of $$$ has spent in all the right places, well done!