Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Audio Hi-fi

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-10-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
Gp.

Car: Red Mazda 323 Astina 1991
Help with new sound system - Clipping issue?

Hi all,
This is my first audio install so bare with me.

As a prerequisite, the issue I'm encountering appears to be clipping. When I play a track with lots of heavy bass or noise at a higher volume, the amp cuts in and out until I back it off. The manual says this is normal if gain isn't set correctly. Let me explain my set up first to make sure I have the wiring correct.

My Kit includes:
* Pioneer Champion Series Sub 1400W 2ohm
* Kenwood KFC-M1642A 280W 4ohm front speakers
* Pioneer TS-A6964S 400W 4ohm 6x9 rear speakers
* Pioneer DEH-3450UB Head Unit
* Pioneer GM-6500F Amplifier 760W

The two 6x9's are wired to the amp, channel 1 for left, channel 2 for right. The Sub is then bridged on the other channels. The head unit has two sets of RCA outputs. Front Speaker & Rear Speaker/Subwoofer.

My front Kenwood speakers are wired to the head unit (the plug with all the different coloured wires including power etc for head unit). That was done by Autobarn.

I've got the RCAs then running to the amp. Obviously the rear speakers/sub from the head unit go to the sub channel input on the amp. My concern/uncertainty is if it's correct to connect the front speaker RCAs from the head unit to the amp for use with the 6x9s. Does it matter it's labeled as "front speaker RCA out" even though I'm using that output with the rear speakers? I was told I can leave the front Kenwoods wired to the head unit and RCA the rear speakers this way.

I've attached a diagram of how everything is wired. I've excluded the fuse in the diagram for the power wire but rest assured there is a fuse installed as part of the kit and this is not a fuse blowing related issue.

If anyone could give me a hand, here's what I want to understand.
1. Why is my Amp cutting in and out at bass intensive tracks or higher volumes? Is this clipping/incorrect gain? How can I push it to the level I want without it cutting out?
2. Is my wiring correct for my system? (Using "Front Speaker RCA for rear speakers etc)

If it is incorrect gain, I have tried adjusting the system in many different ways by toning down the sub on the head unit, playing with the gain on the amp, adjusting the low pass filter etc. I can't seem to get the kick from the bass I want with high volume from the speakers. Is this amp just not gonna cut it, or what is the correct way to get the gain right for both the sub and the 6x9's?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm pretty new to the amp/sub thing.

Gp. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links