Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Communities > Queensland

Old 22-08-2006, 09:15 PM   #21
LordWorm

Car: .
Ok, centrally located. Nope, for me its a 30min drive. But the likes of Ryan don't have to drive 3 hours to get to some place in logan. They have STACKS of car parking, a nice neat workshop, and its *reasonably* well located. So a handful of members only have to drive 5 minutes to get there. Better then being in the middle of the sticks. If it was at logan would you hear twiggy complain? or kurt? or pete?

No, right now B3M don't sponsor the forums. But even if we did, could we offer a dyno day? no. why? cos we don't have a dyno.

We are NOT making any money off this. This has nothing to do with B3M, just an idea I had in passing a couple of days ago. Just because I have a B3M logo in my signature doesn't mean that everything I say is a B3M profit making exersize.

Ring up mercury and ask them the price. Yep, I just rang one place. Why? cos people have used them before, they guys are nice enough, and not pricks like some places.

The prices were as follows:

$50 per car for a dyno day
$55 per car for a dyno day with lunch
$55+whatever for a dyno day with lunch, and prizes.

If other places can do better, FANTASTIC. If other places can do better and give reliable readings, even better.

I would think that the technitions there would have a pretty good idea that if a car did 2 back to back runs within 2 minutes of each other and there was NO change, another run 2mins later wouldn't make a lick of difference. These guys run a dyno day in day out - and they know that its not worthwhile for 0.1kW doing another run, which puts strain on a VERY expensive piece of equipment.

Reason I arked up over this? *some* elements on this forum seem to think that because twiggy and I have a "company" (a company which I might add, to date, has not made a brass razoo in profit - everything so far has been sold at costs + postage - and we've lost money on a few deals to keep people who we consider to be 'friends' happy), we can give out sh!t for free. We can't keep doing this, and I don't think an established company like mercury are going to start.

Look if someone else wants to organise a dyno day, they can go for it. I'm completely over trying to organise something for everyone, and get it thrown back at me by a few ungrateful so and so's.

Need parts? Contact sales@b3motorsports.com
LordWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 09:18 PM   #22
MitchEG
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Cibicu
mercury sounds good to me cos i wanna be on the same dyno as my last reading
MitchEG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2006, 09:54 PM   #23
W.A.I.

Car: BA Hardtop
I am interested in the dyno day provided that i am not tied with assignments.

on the other hand, i don't really want to see the figure of my car (but i wanna know, a bit of dilemma) since a lot of power would lose to the auto box...
Old 22-08-2006, 10:56 PM   #24
LordWorm

Perhaps its best for all involved if i do not organise this.

If someone else wants to, I spoke to trent at mercury if you need clarification of details.

I'm happy to man the bbq if thats allowable under mercury's house rules...if it gets things cheaper.

Old 24-08-2006, 12:10 AM   #25
SILVABULLIT

Car: Hilux, Civic, Kombi
Well I don't visit here for a while and I see not a lot has changed

For those making assumptions about the CES dyno day yes it is our annual event and this is the 3rd year we have done it. The day consisted of the TOCAU annual show and shine as well as the dyno day. CES sponsored the trophies and prizes for the dyno side of things and the Show and Shine was judged by the administrator of CoastCars.net and Peter from Car o Rama auto detailing. all Trophies were sponsored either by some TOCAU members who see the benefit of doing so and a couple of businesses with whom some members have an association with.

We had 30+ cars for the dyno and 25 odd for the show and shine. CES put on an awesome spread of food as Chicaboo will testify and far better than a sausage on bread and can of coke. Basically the day cost $30 for each car to enter the dyno and show and shine. $5 of the 30 covered some costs associated with show and shine and for the food. we had an awesome day but it was cut short after having only got through 23 cars on the dyno one of the roller bearings started to make a funny noise so it was safety first and we had to call it short.

No CES' dyno isn't a dyno dynamics dyno but an old school Bosch with which there is no ability to tamper with settings etc to give false readings. We were all there to have fun and we did that.

I can't see why Twiggy and wormie can't put up a bit of dough to cover trophies or food etc etc as after all you are trying to make money off the AGT site so shouldn't you sow something back into the site??? A lot of our dyno day came out of my pocket directly and through my business and after all money was collected I only fell short by a few $$$. Big deal!! Everyone had a great time and people are already talking about next years event.

If this is what you guys want then get your business heads operating as it 's not hard to do. Just takes time and a bit of diligence which shouldn't be hard for those who have a pretty cushy job And don't just go with the first mob you ring cause I'm sure there is some places who will do better deals if you market yourself the right way and not as a bunch of novice car forum BS spinners.

My 2c worth

From someone who has been there and done it and made it successful.

Cheers Silvabullit.
SILVABULLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 08:51 AM   #26
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVABULLIT
For those making assumptions about the CES dyno day yes it is our annual event and this is the 3rd year we have done it. The day consisted of the TOCAU annual show and shine as well as the dyno day. CES sponsored the trophies and prizes for the dyno side of things and the Show and Shine was judged by the administrator of CoastCars.net and Peter from Car o Rama auto detailing. all Trophies were sponsored either by some TOCAU members who see the benefit of doing so and a couple of businesses with whom some members have an association with.
Pretty much exactly what I said. Sponsored event. Thats why the price was kept to a minimum. CES sponsor the TOCAU forums - I some how doubt very much that CES would sponsor a dyno day for AGT, seeing as there would be not really that much in it for them. Nothing against CES for doing this for TOCAU, but I was simply offering reasons why we can't expect someone to step up and offset some $20 a head per member.
Quote:
No CES' dyno isn't a dyno dynamics dyno but an old school Bosch with which there is no ability to tamper with settings etc to give false readings. We were all there to have fun and we did that.
Shootout mode's do not give "false" readings - they give compareable readings. The idea is you can have the car tuned at a dozen different shops, in different city's and different locations at different altidudes and get roughly the same outcome. Also useful for dyno comps, where variations in the day's weather patterns would normally provide some with an unfair advantage.
Quote:
I can't see why Twiggy and wormie can't put up a bit of dough to cover trophies or food etc etc as after all you are trying to make money off the AGT site so shouldn't you sow something back into the site??? A lot of our dyno day came out of my pocket directly and through my business and after all money was collected I only fell short by a few $$$. Big deal!! Everyone had a great time and people are already talking about next years event.
Because its not a business related thing. Thats like saying, if I organised a cruise that ended up with a feed at the end that was going to cost $5 a head, Twiggy and I should cough up for it. The intention was never to offer prizes, or sponsorship for this event. It was purely a rock up and dyno your car, have a sausage and bread and go home day. Run of the mill. Regular. Everyday. No frills. Dyno day. Organised by me as a private member of the forum, with absolutely no involvement from twiggy what so ever.

Quote:
If this is what you guys want then get your business heads operating as it 's not hard to do. Just takes time and a bit of diligence which shouldn't be hard for those who have a pretty cushy job And don't just go with the first mob you ring cause I'm sure there is some places who will do better deals if you market yourself the right way and not as a bunch of novice car forum BS spinners.
I went with the "first mob I rung" because dyno days have been held there before. Trent and the guys are well known to quite a few members of the forum, and so its $5 or so more than other places.... If CES was $5 more then another place you contacted in the course of things, who would you go for? CES of course, cos you know them, and sometimes stuff like that is worth more than the bottom line. If we went with some place we hadn't been before, who knows, the people might turn out to be rude, or unhelpful, or not setup to do it. I rang mercury because it was a known quantity.

----

Look my point was never to bag out the CES dyno day. My point was the following

• The CES dyno day was sponsored, organised from the ground up to be a full on sponsored event. This was not
  • I decided, after thinking about it for a whole of 5 mins to organise it. I posted an EOI.
  • It had/has nothing to do with B3Motorsports, or Twiggy for that matter

The idea was in its early stages - and perhaps, before october, I may have been open to the idea of adding things onto the event and seeking some sort of sponsorship. However there was a strong expectation that this would be offered from the get go. And thats why I got my back up. And thats why I think it would be best if someone else organised this event.

Old 24-08-2006, 01:03 PM   #27
SILVABULLIT

Car: Hilux, Civic, Kombi
CES don't really advertise their dyno for dyno days as it's only really there for in house product development. But they were willing to organise this for us because I know them and secondly they make stuff for our cars. The $30 for the dyno is pretty much all they will charge as it isn't a dyno dynamics dyno with all the bells and whistles and it is a damm side easier to put a car on and do a run compared with a dyno dynamics dyno.

Thats why they do it cheaper and not charge the $50+ that others charge. Besides they have to get some money back on the huge outlay of buying a Dyno dynamics dyno in the first place.

My idea for you guys is find someone who is new or just opened a shop with a dyno. Approach them as they will be looking for ways to get their name out there inot the market
SILVABULLIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2006, 05:59 PM   #28
GTXWGN

Car: tree two tree
Send a message via MSN to GTXWGN
who cares really , 50 bucks is a typical price for a dyno day, all the ones ive seen have been this price... i dont care where it is i will attend.

ill have my 2 runs and eat a sausage

count me in.
Old 24-08-2006, 07:50 PM   #29
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTXWGN
who cares really , 50 bucks is a typical price for a dyno day, all the ones ive seen have been this price... i dont care where it is i will attend.

ill have my 2 runs and eat a sausage

count me in.
do your 2 runs then we'll cook the sausages on your new turbo

Old 25-08-2006, 04:17 PM   #30
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
greg, do what you gotta do, if people come, good. if people don't, oh well.

just ask them again about costs. maybe they'll drop it for ya or maybe not. can only ask. personally i don't see the connection between B3M and the dyno day. don't let people drag you into a fight not worth having.
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:15 AM   #31
DeZZar

Wormy!

was looking to organise another dyno day through OMC but was hoping to make it Dec / Jan some time. I'll be sure to link it accross.

50 bucks is a pretty standard price. if the $30 from ces is a cause for questioning then people should note that you get what you pay for. the dyno they have is an R & D dyno for their own internal purposes - and it works great for them however it's an old Bosch unit - so old in fact you load a pencil in it and it draws the line on a preprinted graph for you.....it certainly works - but this probably the biggest determining factor for the price difference.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:29 AM   #32
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeZZar
Wormy!

was looking to organise another dyno day through OMC but was hoping to make it Dec / Jan some time. I'll be sure to link it accross.

50 bucks is a pretty standard price. if the $30 from ces is a cause for questioning then people should note that you get what you pay for. the dyno they have is an R & D dyno for their own internal purposes - and it works great for them however it's an old Bosch unit - so old in fact you load a pencil in it and it draws the line on a preprinted graph for you.....it certainly works - but this probably the biggest determining factor for the price difference.
Yeh mate do that... i'll need to get some dyno runs down soonish anyway

Old 02-10-2006, 11:52 AM   #33
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
sounds good to me.
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 07:38 PM   #34
platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
shouldn't 2 runs mean that your car is put on and off the dyno... twice?

just a thought there
Old 02-10-2006, 08:37 PM   #35
LordWorm

nah mate, the way it was explained to me, they put it on, run it...get results, run it again, if you make more power hte 2nd time run it a 3rd time, then pull it off.

kinda makes sense, would be the least time consuming and effortless way to put it on.. say 10 cars, 3 runs each (just say)... you can either load each car up once and only have to load up 10 times, or load each car up 3 times and load up 30 times.

Old 03-10-2006, 12:51 PM   #36
QuicKSilveR
AstinaGT Regular

Car: '01 Nissan Silvia s15 (Ex Ford Laser TX3 Turbo FAN74)
Send a message via MSN to QuicKSilveR
I'm in. I went to the last OzMazda Dyno Day at Mercury and it was sweet. Their 4WD dyno means that I might get a proper Dyno reading. The FWD are on the flat (being 4Wd dyno) so there is more more traction on the rollers. The only dyno I've had was on RWD with ramps. My car got to 280HP before wheelspinning crazy.

So I'm keen to come along and see what reading I can get. Any prizes
Old 03-10-2006, 12:54 PM   #37
QuicKSilveR
AstinaGT Regular

Who really cares. its a nice clean workshop with a nice mint, almost new dyno. Stop bitching - its a Yes or No answer. Sounds like fordlaser.com

Mercury is close to me so I'm happy and its a good location. I spotted the Autobarn day etc. - Sux getting defected on Moss street though, everytime there is an event.

http://www.mercurymotorsport.com.au/...ults/index.htm

Last edited by QuicKSilveR; 03-10-2006 at 01:03 PM.
QuicKSilveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 01:16 PM   #38
LordWorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuicKSilveR
Any prizes
only the price of knowing you likely have the most powerful car in the club? haha

Old 03-10-2006, 05:17 PM   #39
QuicKSilveR
AstinaGT Regular

Meh, GTXWGN no doubt will pull a higher figure. But I'm keen to come along. Not sure on Mercury's tuning skills but their Dyno is awesome.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:02 PM   #40
QuicKSilveR
AstinaGT Regular

Not happening?