Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 10-12-2002, 04:51 AM   #1
TDK

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Has anyone with a 2002 SP20 had any troubles with a knocking sound comming from the engine bay when the engine is cold? I think some people in the US has had this problem. Wheni use the car when the engine is cold i hear a very loud knocking/rattling sound from the engine bay, as if something was loose and banging up against something. But there isn't anything loose, and after driving for a bit and once the engine is at it's normal temp the sound stops and i can't make it do it. Even if i stop for a bit and restart the car because the engine is still hot it doesn't do it. But if i stop long enough for the engine to cool down it does it again. CAN SOMEONE HELP ME......

TDK[/colorost_uid0]
Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2002, 10:01 AM   #2
O-LYM-PIC
AstinaGT Regular

[color=#000000ost_uid0]yeah i was gonna ask about this 2. my 91 sp does the same thing, except that it doesnt start it from cold, but it will start evey now and again (after driving around for a bit usually) when the car is in neutral (even if u press the clutch in for 2 long between gear changes) or say ur in first but idling. however when u rev it in neutral, even to as little as say 1500-2000, it will stop.
its like a pretty loud rattling sound like TDK says (something is hittin something else), and since now ive just ignored it by turnin the music up louder. i changed to PULP a while ago 2 see if this helped, but no difference.
the real problem is that, when u tell someone about it, and u start the car u to show them, the engine decides not to rattle.
any ideas....[/colorost_uid0]

"her name was veronica,
she had an ass the size of south america"
-wyclef
O-LYM-PIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2002, 02:34 AM   #3
Shaun

[color=#000000ost_uid0]The noise you are talking about is a noisey lash ajuster. Try a oil change and it should fix it up straight away. also check ur old level in the car. It only makes the noise on a cold start because all the old oil has drained away from the cam and ajusters they do the same thing a tappets did but are hydrolic.the noise will stop as soon as it gets old pressure.[/colorost_uid0]
Old 16-12-2002, 02:05 AM   #4
..::TalenT::..

Send a message via MSN to ..::TalenT::.. Send a message via Yahoo to ..::TalenT::..
[color=#000000ost_uid1]oo ok coz this has happened a couple of times to me too i thought it was tha hydrolic lifters goin crazy, but the oil level is good so thanks for explainin Y it happens when its cold [/colorost_uid1]
..::TalenT::.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2002, 04:09 AM   #5
Shaun

[color=#000000ost_uid0]Anytime [/colorost_uid0]