Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Bodykits & Exterior

Old 10-10-2004, 06:46 PM   #21
ezin
AstinaGT Regular

What tint do u recomend if u have an internal antenna for the radio on the glass like the dimister, cause the metal ones stuff up the reception. I saw that 3m tint on bright ideas & they said it doesnt have any metal in it, but from previous posts i have read it doesnt sound that good.
ezin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 07:09 PM   #22
tinter

Car: Liberty GT and SP23
ezin.
There are really not that many cars that have built in antennas
that are incorporated into the rear heater demister grid. But of the ones that do have this, yes radio reception, gps or TV can be affected.
In the radio sector it is only the AM band but who listens to that?

However I do have a film called Charcool that is specifically made to get over that problem. The total solar energy rejection (TSER) is only marginally down on that of the higher performance metal titanium films.
Rob.
Old 10-10-2004, 07:41 PM   #23
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Good question ezin, the rear glass I have spoken of earlier has one of those antennas as well as the wiper washer. Using this glass gives me the option to remove the visible antenna and clean the look of the car.

When I'm looking to tint then I'll go and see Rob and talk over the options (filtering out John Laws does have some appeal) :lol:
Old 10-10-2004, 10:30 PM   #24
platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
is my tint crazy, or is it my eyes?
when i'm wearing polarises glasses the glass shows stress marks, but only since i got the windows tinted....
i did find it a little weird when i got the tint done, so i checked through a polarascope, but in the end figured it was a "what can be done about it" sorta thing
Old 11-10-2004, 08:26 AM   #25
tinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahb11m
is my tint crazy, or is it my eyes?
when i'm wearing polarises glasses the glass shows stress marks, but only since i got the windows tinted....
i did find it a little weird when i got the tint done, so i checked through a polarascope, but in the end figured it was a "what can be done about it" sorta thing
Hi ah,
Polarising sunglasses are the only type of sunglass that show up polyester window films like a rainbow prism or oil slick appearance. (At least you have the genuine glass there ah....no cheapy pretender.) :P
It's inherit in all solar films and the nature of the beast.
You will also find that even without film on your glass, you will notice a hot and cold speckled appearance to automotive glass that makes the window look like it has patches on it. This occurs during the toughening process during manufacture. Again attributed to the sunglass polarising the light that you see. Nothing you can do about it except change to an ordinary lens.
Rob.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:58 AM   #26
kernels

firstly, thanks tinter for answering all our questions about window tinting, my question is sortof like twilights, the darkest legal tint available is T35, but i heard that some time ago you could get darker, i know of some friends that have been able to get this darker tints done on older cars and claim that they were done before the tinting standards were changed.

What is the darker tint? and when did the tinting standards change?
http://www.astinagt.com/readers/ride.php?userid=kernels
kernels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 12:40 PM   #27
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
thanks for the answers - very informative

next question: i'm looking to get my car retinted, but would liek a film with a partial silver/reflective tinge to it. Not a full-on mirror tint, just something with a vaguely reflective apprearance to it.

what would be the best to go for?

and it it legal?

cheers
Dan

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 01:21 PM   #28
CityEnd

Car: .
hey Rob,

thanks for answering all our question.
anyway i have a couple of question i'd like to ask myself.

on the topic of polarised glasses, i just saw how great they were when i went to get a new pair of glasses. I was thinking are there any tint film out there which is polarised? or that wouldn't work out as it would show the hot cold spots of the glass and also might clash with polarised sunnies effectively making it impossible to see?.

My next question is.... what is the best way to clean the inside of the glass, the tinted area... as when i got my tint, the guy warned me not to use the usual window cleaning products as it may shorten the life of the tint, and tried to sell me some sort of product... i didn't buy it.. and haven't cleaned the inside of my windows for a very long time now and i want to clean them.

my last question... i got my tint from tint-a-car and it was the "F1" flim.... i have no idea what that is.. could you tell me more abt it?

I really apprecite you taking the time to answer all our question.

cheers
chris
CityEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 05:24 PM   #29
tinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernels
firstly, thanks tinter for answering all our questions about window tinting, my question is sortof like twilights, the darkest legal tint available is T35, but i heard that some time ago you could get darker, i know of some friends that have been able to get this darker tints done on older cars and claim that they were done before the tinting standards were changed.

What is the darker tint? and when did the tinting standards change?
I didn't realise there would be so many Q's but I'm enjoying them all! :idea:
There are about 6 major American manufacturers worthy of any note and they all produce an automotive range in light (70%) to jet black limo. (5%)

The Oz wide standard is 35% of the sun's light as we see it must be able to be transmitted from outside to inside.
Anything darker than that fitted for a passenger vehicle like your Mazdas is unroadworthy and always has been. Even a 20% on the rear only is illegal so we need desperately to clear up a few myths now.
There has never been an acceptable "truce period" if I can call it that that permits darker than 35% films being applied. That's one of those stories that gets passed on in idle chat and as it goes, so the truth becomes more clouded.

A car with 20% runs foul of the insurance industry as well and any excuse they can find that makes the insured vehicle not what it ought to be is a way of knocking back a claim as well.
Rob.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:32 PM   #30
tinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupewrecht
thanks for the answers - very informative

next question: i'm looking to get my car retinted, but would liek a film with a partial silver/reflective tinge to it. Not a full-on mirror tint, just something with a vaguely reflective apprearance to it.

what would be the best to go for?

and it it legal?

cheers
Dan
Hi Dan,
On an earlier post to Sab, try the Johnson's Sihouette 35% for that visual effect you are after.
The law states that other than a darkness level to be taken into account when buying window tinting, you must also have a film that does not increase the glass reflectivity by more than 10%.
Again very much like what you get with normal glass and yes I know we have all seen some bloody terrible semi-mirrored tints that spoil some cars kicking around aesthetically.
They are just as illegal as dark films.
Rob.
Old 11-10-2004, 05:41 PM   #31
Rupewrecht
Administrator

Car: AZ-1, Astina Hardtop Turbo, BJ Protege, Beetle
cool - thanks Rob

jdmparts.rupewrecht.com
Sourcing your not-quite-overnight parts from Japan

WRECHT--|--SLOWTEGE--|--BEETLE--|--SUBSTITUTE--|--AZ-1

Rupewrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 06:37 PM   #32
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
So after all that Rob do you have any recomendations on what we should look for brand wise with 35% (legal) films? Even any recommendations on shops to go to in Melbourne, Sydney & Brisbane would be great! Or even (fingers crossed) Albury?

Thanks for all your help!

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 08:28 PM   #33
Laser the Amazer

Send a message via ICQ to Laser the Amazer Send a message via MSN to Laser the Amazer
Hi There

Quick Question, not tinting related, but window related.

My windows have overspray on them (the whole car had it) I had got it all off the paint. What could I use on the windows to remove it?

Thanks in Advance

Rob
Old 11-10-2004, 10:36 PM   #34
tinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser the Amazer
Hi There

Quick Question, not tinting related, but window related.

My windows have overspray on them (the whole car had it) I had got it all off the paint. What could I use on the windows to remove it?

Thanks in Advance

Rob
L the A,
The best bet is to use a brand new single edge razor blade and a bit of soapy detergent and water mix onto the glass.
The solution doesn't do a thing about dissolving the overspray but what it does is provide a soft form of lubrication between blade and glass.
Alternatively, a very mild steel wool 00 grade that car detailers use when cars are being prepped for delivery is OK with metho as well. That grade will not scratch the glass no matter how hard you rub.
Rob.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:49 PM   #35
tinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipa
So after all that Rob do you have any recomendations on what we should look for brand wise with 35% (legal) films? Even any recommendations on shops to go to in Melbourne, Sydney & Brisbane would be great! Or even (fingers crossed) Albury?

Thanks for all your help!
Chipa.
I'd like to see you go with Madico's Onyx 35% high performance metal True Black film. It gets this name because it's the only metalised film out there that doesn't impart a sheen to it.

I'm obviously in Ringwood Melbourne and are more than happy to help you out with a great product and installation. I do it all myself so I reckon I've got it down pat by now. Get me on 0417 755537.

In Albury/Wodonga, I have a friend of mine there by the name of Phil Vague from Border Tinting. He does a great job and very professional.
Haven't got his phone number handy but it will be in the book. Tell him I referred you.
Sydney....contact our national importer Gary Lane (owner of all the Solartint branches)..... Head Office is 142 Taren Point Caringbah 9526 2888 and for Brisbane, he should be able to point you in the right direction there to.

For those interested in the manufacturer's USA website, go to www.madico.com and search auto tinting.

Regards,
Rob Tait.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:19 PM   #36
platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinter
(At least you have the genuine glass there ah....no cheapy pretender.) :P
hehe - I'm an optician matey!!! i know the difference - wouldn't change - i'd miss the colour depth!!!

oh well i thought the film might just be overstretched....grrr i'll have to put up with it !!

thanks for the fast response!!
Old 12-10-2004, 01:48 AM   #37
CityEnd

hm... my questions where over looked?
Old 12-10-2004, 07:41 AM   #38
tinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityEnd
hey Rob,

thanks for answering all our question.
anyway i have a couple of question i'd like to ask myself.

on the topic of polarised glasses, i just saw how great they were when i went to get a new pair of glasses. I was thinking are there any tint film out there which is polarised? or that wouldn't work out as it would show the hot cold spots of the glass and also might clash with polarised sunnies effectively making it impossible to see?.

My next question is.... what is the best way to clean the inside of the glass, the tinted area... as when i got my tint, the guy warned me not to use the usual window cleaning products as it may shorten the life of the tint, and tried to sell me some sort of product... i didn't buy it.. and haven't cleaned the inside of my windows for a very long time now and i want to clean them.

my last question... i got my tint from tint-a-car and it was the "F1" flim.... i have no idea what that is.. could you tell me more abt it?

I really apprecite you taking the time to answer all our question.

cheers
chris
Sorry Chris...I missed that Q.
There are no solar control films made anywhere in the world that polarise the light nor darken when activated by sunlight :!:

Cleaning film.....don't use anything that is abrasive like powder cleansers or soap pads and the like that are course by nature.
All manufacturers say to avoid ammonia based solutions like Windex but for me I have never seen an issue with this usage in 29 years.

If you haven't done the glass for awhile, start by removing any stubborn marks with a Kleenex tissue and metho combination. It's surprising what these 2 will get off :!:
Next....get a chamois or similar, rinse it out really clean under a warm tap and the secret is to ring it out as hard as you can so it's only damp.
Run that over the glass constantly changing the chamois area on to new sections. If is gets particularly dirty, back to the sink and rinse clean out again.
A soapy dishwashing detergent base can be used as well for general all over wiping. I have some mixed up in a spray bottle for that.
Last but not least, a good quality squeegee makes a huge difference because it doesn't leave anything behind.

Finally, F1 is a good product but it's the hype you pay for being a franchise product. It performs no better or no less than other better cost effective metalised films out there in film land.
Rob.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:54 AM   #39
CityEnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinter
There are no solar control films made anywhere in the world that polarise the light nor darken when activated by sunlight :!:
wow, any entreperneurs out there? sounds like a great idea, you don't need tint at night.. and the technology is out there already, just need to apply it to the flim.

andn thanx for the cleaning tips Rob, will give it a go over the weekend.
Old 17-10-2004, 07:58 PM   #40
Red Frog

Car: My feet :p
okay i'm prob getting all windows done for $150 by a guy from solace. probably 10% below legal limit (40% i think). is this good? or does it sound dodgy/ripoff?
what's the diff b/t norm and metal tint?