Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > AstinaGT Talk > General Automotive Talk

Old 20-04-2005, 06:22 PM   #21
Laser the Amazer

Send a message via ICQ to Laser the Amazer Send a message via MSN to Laser the Amazer
you would be suprised how often that happens

we have cars come in and people take us for a drive and show us the symptons and then it won't play up

the car knows and hides it lol

hope they find the problem for you soon

Rob
Old 20-04-2005, 06:37 PM   #22
SP:KING

Car: SP20
what happens to those people rob
SP:KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2005, 07:00 PM   #23
robprice

Location: The Central Coast, where the sun shines, the ocean calls, and the potholes have there own postcodes!
Car: ASTNA
my car does that to my mechanic, there is a noise in the front end (me thinks outer passanger side cv joint) that is there every time i drive it without my mechanic in the car. But he comes with me, and nothing. After 3 times he now really doubts my usually spot on problem spotting!
Old 20-04-2005, 07:26 PM   #24
Laser the Amazer

Send a message via ICQ to Laser the Amazer Send a message via MSN to Laser the Amazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP:KING
what happens to those people rob
if they are lucky they will get a courtesy car

are cars are booked out 3 weeks in advanced and we have 4 to serve 30 cars a day.

we try and get the car back to them asap, majority of the hold up is getting parts, not everything comes down from sydney. Also you need to take in to consideration 30 cars are coming in for servicing and have to leave the same day some before lunch, so trying to find time in the arvo is normally when they will work on it.

we have a few cars at work that have been with us for a few weeks, majority of them have parts on order

Good Luck with getting it back soon, btw what is the courtsey car

Rob
Old 20-04-2005, 07:42 PM   #25

a 1.6l pulsar (auto) goes good though, its mint condition as well
Old 20-04-2005, 07:59 PM   #26
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
ok i just figured out what it is!

i remembered a guy in america had the exact same problem. the VICS butterfly came loose so some screws came loose as well. the screws were creating the clunking sound, the butterfly floating around the intake manifold is what made the car die. the car would run fine from time to time (as the butterfly moved in such a way that it wasnt hindering the air flow) and the next second die.
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2005, 08:06 PM   #27

mmm ill have to mention that
Old 20-04-2005, 09:52 PM   #28
platypus
living in the past man

Car: Subaru Outback 2.0 turbo
Send a message via MSN to platypus
there is a TSB for that locally too.....

the problem sounds like an air supply issue, which woudl include the said butterfly, which your car falls into the problem given the year...

i remember i forgot to put the wire mesh back into my unifilter after cleaning... was funny, it bunched up onto the maf, and restricted the air flow at idle, but was fine as long as it was under throttle... anywho if it was that i'm sure they would have said so from last time...
Old 21-04-2005, 07:50 PM   #29

Guess what, they found a problem in the intake manifold, i didnt even have to tell them, but i think it was on the electrical side (the small black box with the plug going into it) the new part will be in next week.
Old 21-04-2005, 08:18 PM   #30
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
If it's in the Intake Manifold it's most likely what Andrew was describing earlier. I remember reading that thread some time back before the guy found at what the cause was...
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2005, 04:39 PM   #31
KittyKatSmack
Banned

Car: Mazda
Marty,

Hoping your car will be as good as new really soon for you.

In the meantime FLOG THAT PULSAR!

Aaron's car has been in for another Diff replacement and fix the lack of heating in the heater.... and we have a Camry! It is the Altiesse or something like that, and OMG why do people buy these? If the comparison is between a camry and a sportivo, no wonder they raved about it.

I got seasick everytime it whaled around a corner.

However it still overtook three cars out by the airport coming home yesterday *grinnage*

I will admit to being very embarrassed to be seen in it though

LOL
KittyKatSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2005, 06:32 PM   #32
chicaboo

What's wrong with a Camry? Granted I don't like the new taillight and grill facelift much myself (too ricey), but I really like that samurai look they've introduced. Damn, people weren't happy when they made boring looking cars, and now they still can't win with the new fancy thing...
I reckon all they need to do is whack a decent Lexus motor in there, or rather STOP detuning them down 20+kW! They've got some nice V6s now (3.2 Klueger, 4.0 Hilux), except they are designed for their bloody 4WDs, so they might not have the correct nature for a family sedan?
Anyhow, when Toyota get a clue and start putting pep back into their cars like they did in the 80s, I'll back them again. But I think they have come a long way with the recent Camry styling atleast (minus stupid US handbrake!).
As for handling, the best handling car I've ever had to date was my 99 flagship Camry which I could happily through around corners, and it didn't even have Sportivo suspension. Every single Camry built now has what used to be the then Sportivo suspension in the older squarer shape Camrys (97-02), and the current Sportivos are even firmer again.
I think you must be extremely spoilt with Misatu, the MX-5 is meant to be one of the best stock handling cars out there on a budget, and then yours is lowered with coilovers... It'd be interesting to see a slammed Camry with some whiteline gear getting around for a comparison.

take it easy,
Gav.
Old 22-04-2005, 10:40 PM   #33
twilightprotege
Driving a faster car now!

Car: Lotus ....... .
gay camry.
twilightprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2005, 11:32 PM   #34
mrpayner

Car: 2013 Mazda 6 GT Sedan - Soul Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo
Anyhow, when Toyota get a clue and start putting pep back into their cars like they did in the 80s, I'll back them again.
Here here.. i totally agree! I really dig the Sportivo Concept that's going around the traps.. I think it was designed in Australia too, which is a bonus!

AP

2013 Mazda6 Diesel GT ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Formerly] 2004 Mazda6 Luxury Sport
mrpayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2005, 01:25 AM   #35
KittyKatSmack
Banned

OMG, you're kidding me right?

The Camry we have for the duration of the long weekend, is a piece of poo, a 2003 or 2004 model, auto, sterile and lifeless

It has no soul.....

And that concept car is a disgrace!

Almost as bad as the Ibuki!

signed,

Kitty who is shy with her opinions
Old 23-04-2005, 01:29 AM   #36
KittyKatSmack
Banned

Oh Gav, yes I am very spoilt with the MX5, and occasionally driving Aaron's car, the XR6Turbo.....

such a sad life

Everyone has a different opinion and just coz we have different ones, doesn't mean one is more right than the other...
I have heard people bag mitsubishi and I had an awesome Cordia.

The last decent Toyota I had, was a 1969 Jap Spec KE15 Corolla, and the Jap spec celica rocked too....

It isn't prejudice against Toyota, just against what I see as a lifeless driving experience. Some people like the appliance feel whereas I like feedback and the sensation of moving....

Anyway, as I said in the first line, I am spoilt by the cars around me atm and believe me I am enjoying every minute of it while it lasts.

Cheers buddy
Old 23-04-2005, 11:44 AM   #37
chicaboo

If you had a loan car it's probably had a pretty hard life and not reflective of the general feel of them, my stock auto drives better than my stock manual did, and then you only need to go for a drive in "tidy" to see how amazing a protege can be.
Something I always liked about Toyotas was ergonomics, which they've lost in the current Corolla, but the Camry Altise I drove recently was pretty functional and roomy. I didn't test the radio controls for reach, but I thought it had a decent ride and atleast met the expectations of it's targeted audiance.
I've only seen pics of the new Sportivo interiors, but they look to be what people want in a sporty cabin, pretty much down to the last detail infact, ie: brake pedals and all... Plus they have a strut brace and heavier rear sway bar, but the Camry is a much taller car now, so that may have taken some of the edge off it's sure-footedness to a degree? I'd need to drive one to know for sure.
Toyotas have always been more popular in the 2nd hand market too, probably because their styling hasn't always been so influenced by their contempories and has been more acceptable rather than fashionable at the time of production, so it's not a fad that's lost as much over time. Add to that all Toyotas are designed to last 400,000km before "majour" work needs to be done, they are generally bullet proof mechanically and can take quite a beating.
I've owned 2 new Toyotas and 1 2nd hand over the years, and I know how reliable they are, unfortunately they are dubbed granny cars despite Toyotas best (but mixed) efforts over the years. Like I said, I think if Toyota put a gut wrenching V6 in the Sportivo with grip to match they'd be unreal.
My EF XR6 was the roughest hardest noisest (bad NVH) car I've ever owned, but then I've been in many a stock EA-ED Falconn/Fairmonts that had the most woefull rolly polly suspension you could ever imagine, to the point where roundabouts were concerning...
In contrast I think Mazda pretty much have their finger on the pulse at the moment, and are making cars of a high standard in all areas, except maybe for power aswell. Although I can see the upcoming facelifted series3 Mazda2 losing out sales to the new Swift.

Sorry to continue threadjacking but I'm passionate about cars. I'm not trying to differ my opinions from you Kitty, I'm just pointing out where Toyotas strengths and weaknesses are as I see it, and how a car has an intended purpose for a certain market or niché. I won't say anymore, back to broken cars, my apologies.
Gav.

Last edited by chicaboo; 23-04-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 18-05-2005, 06:44 PM   #38

My car is A1 now, got the intake fixed up, they also replaced the idol valve apparently it was faulty too.
Old 18-05-2005, 08:33 PM   #39
Nate
Pandaspeed Racing

Car: BG SP
Send a message via MSN to Nate
excellent news ... keep on zooming

Life would be straight without twisties STOCK AS A ROCKET!

•motor sport is dangerous and that accidents causing harm can and do happen and may happen to me.
I accept the conditions of, and acknowledge the risks arising from, attending or participating in the event and being provided with the event services by CAMS and the Associated Entities
I THINK I AM N2!
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2005, 12:55 PM   #40
arden

Car: Suby
Good to hear Marty, got the injen yet?