Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 19-09-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
Golden Oldie

Car: 1992 Mazda Astina
Red face Replacing water pump in BG

Hey guys! a while ago I inquired as to why my BG was using a little bit of water. Not much, but not right either. About a litre every 100k's.

Anyway, I just got my Aircon fully converted & regassed with the new stuff. $370 but will be worth it in the long term.

The AC mechanic informs me that I have a leaky water pump. Ah! so that's where the water is going? Anyway, I just purchased a new one off ebay for $47 but hoping to install it ourselves. Cash is a little tight now.

Is it a complex job? I'm hoping not. From the top it of motor, it looks like a major pain!

Any advice & ideas?

Much appreciate
Old 20-09-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
Old Grey

Car: Astina BG 1991 - Rx7 S4
The book says this has to come off
fan belts
water pump pulley
upper and lower timing cover
sump cover fascia
front pulley, has to be torqued
timing belt, mark well before removal
then pump

I don't know if the mount is in the way
Old Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
Golden Oldie

Thanks mate!

OH crap! it does look like a big job but, more fiddly than anything.

Another question if anyone can tell me.... How do you know a timing belt is on the way out? Seeing it has to come off anyway I might replace it, too.

I bought this car without knowing any of it's history. No receipts ZERO! Just done the usual stuff with oil, filters, etc. The seller was vague to say the least.

This baby has to last me a long time.

Thanks heaps!

Kez (52 years old but still capable of doing some repairs & hopefully always will)
Old 20-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
maztech

Car: ......
When i do em i remove drive belts , timing covers, cambelt , A/C compressor , RH engine mount then the pump comes off ( let motor hang low as possible and take it out through the bottom . Just rattle gun the crank pulley back on. Best off replacing cambelt if you dont know the history of the car while you got it all apart. Fairly easy job just take your time and look at it before you pull it apart.
maztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 04:17 PM   #5
Golden Oldie

Thanks Maztec. Sounds a bit easier. I will take note with common sense.
Yeah, I thought a new cambelt would be a good idea to replace seeing it's going to be pulled to bits, anyway.

She has no oil leaks and really does still Zoom Zoom Zoom well for an old girl. 232000k's I love the fuel consumption. That's a WOW factor.

Wish I could repair the major ding as easily but, that's life! The motor is more important at this stage.

Thanks again.
Old 20-09-2009, 04:30 PM   #6
maztech

Car: ......
The 2 bolts for water outlet above the A/C compresor are a bit tricky but just be patient with them .By the way to take the crank pulley off undo the 10mm bolts and not the 21mm in the middle as this bolt is for the cambelt pulley
maztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2009, 04:42 PM   #7
Golden Oldie

EXCELLENT info. and really appreciate it. The pump should arrive tomorrow and up on the ramps she goes. I will order the cambelt tomorrow, also.

Gonna be without wheels for a few but, I always wondered what legs are for?

Should be OK. I have a friend to take care of the heavy stuff and stubborn bolts.

Things can always be worse, like, the pump could of crapped itself out on the highway I've had the water loss now for 10 months but seeing it was slow, I didn't worry.

I feel very lucky at the moment.
Old 22-09-2009, 12:31 PM   #8
Golden Oldie

YAY!!!! I must thank Maztec so much for his advice. This ol' girl is learning lots from this forum. I so much appreciate it. Because of your suggestions I did some research and am so grateful I was told about replacing the timing belt as well.

I received my new waterpump & should get timing belt/kit soon.

I have also learned that this isn't an easy job for an amateur gal unless I could handle the car being off the road for too long. Of course I could do it! BUT.....I went and saw mechanic. $200 max and only a couple of hours work. Well worth it.

Total cost max - $360. Purchasing the goods myself. Well worth it.

My car almost overheated today. OUCH! topped up the radiator and got her home.

My little car is going to be mechanically A1 when I'm finished with her )

Cheers!
Old 22-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #9
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
that is a damn unbeleivable price for belts and pump.. hell for pump itself thats aweseom price
good effort
Old 22-09-2009, 12:44 PM   #10
Golden Oldie

Yeah! Tony Ebay and only purchased off good trustworthy sellers. Goes to show how much markup there is and it is worth doing a little running around to save $$$$. I thought labor would be more as well. Maybe I flapped my eyelashes at him the right way Nah! been going to him for years.

I'm wrapped!