Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Bodykits & Exterior

Old 05-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #1
Rafferty

Car: 2001 Mazda Astina 323
How To: Attach Sp20 body kit onto a BJII hatch

G'day,

I was hoping some of you might know from experience... I just got hold of a sp20 body kit and was wondering how difficult it is to try installing it myself onto a nonSp20 BJII hatch... I have most clips, screws and bolts but missing a few of them.

Some questions you might be able to help with are:

1) Are the white plastic clips easily bought from Repco or Supacheap? OR only Mazda..?

2) I know the standard nonSp20 front head lights will fit ok (for now), but what about the black factory grille? are they the same?

3) For the side skirts, is there a lot of drilling involved into the body for all those clips to slot into? is this the easiest to instal of them all?

4)The rear bottom lip: Does this attach onto the rear existing plastic bumper or onto that metal lip just under there..?

I've done some searching in the forums and have gathered some insight for eg. I'm aware about the guard inner linings are different and so I've got the sp20 ones as well. But any hands on experience that could be passed on to help me confidently give this a go myself would be much appreciated as funds are now very thin/non existent.....
Rafferty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
TheMAN

Car: .
the grilles are not the same.. different height

the clips you must buy from mazda as they are unique... you will need the template to properly drill the holes:
http://www.protegefaq.net/accessorie...K-V4-910F).pdf

the rear skirt attaches to the existing bumper but I believe you need to drill some holes for it to work
Old 05-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
Rafferty

Thanks so much TheMAN! That is great help. It looks like I'll be able to do that part.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
JDM323

Car: 2002 BJ2 protege
Send a message via ICQ to JDM323
your local panel shop should be able to source some clips for you, as edwin said the rear bar has to get drilled for the lip, the side templates edwin has were accurate when mine were fitted, did you get the sp20 front reinforcing as it's different to the 1.8 and you can't refit your factory mud flaps as the skirts and rear lip re-use the mud flap clips.
any other questions don't hesitate to ask as mine started as a 1.8 with no kit so have just completed what you are about to begin.

Last edited by JDM323; 05-02-2012 at 10:26 PM.
JDM323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
Rafferty

Hey shaley323, thanks for that. I most likely will have a few questions for you seeing as you've recently done the spKit ...i don't think I got the reinforcing as I'm not sure what that is exactly... would it be like the brackets that Orion is currently selling elsewhere in the forums?

btw, as Edwin said the front grilles are they definitely different heights here in Oz?

My other concern is wiring, I've got the BJ2 fog lights at the moment on the car so I've got the dash switch and all... any idea how much work to swap to the sp20 fogs? is it a job for my auto electrician or is it simple cut and solder/join?
Old 06-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
Orion
SP20 Member!

Car: Mazda SP20 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafferty View Post
Hey shaley323, thanks for that. I most likely will have a few questions for you seeing as you've recently done the spKit ...i don't think I got the reinforcing as I'm not sure what that is exactly... would it be like the brackets that Orion is currently selling elsewhere in the forums?

btw, as Edwin said the front grilles are they definitely different heights here in Oz?

My other concern is wiring, I've got the BJ2 fog lights at the moment on the car so I've got the dash switch and all... any idea how much work to swap to the sp20 fogs? is it a job for my auto electrician or is it simple cut and solder/join?
The re-inforcing that I think shaley is referring to is the white plastic bit that screws into the back of the front bumper.

While you are changing bumpers it might be an idea of getting the AAC brackets. Seeing as the bumper is off, it will be an easy job and will make the finished product look good and last longer. You know where to find me

Also, I think that if you already have the foglight setup then putting in the SP20 round fogs should be as simple as just plugging them into the original connectors. Rupe may have a better idea about this.

Exhaust: Autoexe headers; Custom midpipe; Racing Beat catback
Engine: AWR mounts; Twiggy cams; Custom CAI; RR Racing UDP; Mishimoto rad
EMS: Microtech LT-10; J&S Safeguard;
Gearbox: MSP LSD; Fidanza flywheel; 5th gear
Rims/Suspension: MX-5 rims; Tokico Illuminas; Eibach Pro-kit; Progress RSB; AutoExe STB
Exterior: MSP front lip & rear spoiler; Matt V headlights; AutoExe grill; EDM tails
Interior: JVC AVX-77; Autometer gauges; DaveBs; B&M shifter
Projects to come: Engine rebuild
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #7
TheMAN

I'm pretty sure at least on the BJ2s, the cars are all prewired for fog light installation... all you have to do is plug in the fog light subharness to near where the washer fluid jug is and then add a relay near the fuse box next to the pedals... and then there is probably the connector for the switch

the mazda parts catalogue shows a different part number for the grilles... as far as I'm aware, at least for the US bumpers, the non-sport bumpers have a slightly different shaped opening for the grilles than the SP20 style ones, even though at casual glance they look the same
Old 06-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
Rafferty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
The re-inforcing that I think shaley is referring to is the white plastic bit that screws into the back of the front bumper.

While you are changing bumpers it might be an idea of getting the AAC brackets. Seeing as the bumper is off, it will be an easy job and will make the finished product look good and last longer. You know where to find me

Also, I think that if you already have the foglight setup then putting in the SP20 round fogs should be as simple as just plugging them into the original connectors. Rupe may have a better idea about this.
Excellent! I've got that white plastic part behind the bumper.

As far as the brackets go Orion you will soon have pm
Old 06-02-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Don't buy clips, you don't have the holes in the bodywork for them to do any good. Just urethane the sideskirts and rear lip on. The front bumper needs no extras, it just goes on with or without the stiffening brace. For the foglights you need to buy a cabin switch and front bumper loom from Mazda.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
JDM323

grille is different, sp fog loom plugs into 1.8, 1.8 fog loom should plug in to sp fog lights, if not i have spare sp fog loom, get the brackets from orion so much better i have them on mine but got mine from the us previously.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #11
TheMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicaboo View Post
Don't buy clips, you don't have the holes in the bodywork for them to do any good. Just urethane the sideskirts and rear lip on. The front bumper needs no extras, it just goes on with or without the stiffening brace. For the foglights you need to buy a cabin switch and front bumper loom from Mazda.
it will never stay flush and secure... the side skirts will sag a bit and leave gaps
Old 06-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #12
chicaboo

Car: Touge monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
it will never stay flush and secure... the side skirts will sag a bit and leave gaps
I've done the process twice, it works very well. I possibly had a flusher finish than stock, but I used good urethane and tried my best.
chicaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #13
JDM323

mine used clips and sockets so that water can't run into the sill panels