Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Suspension & Wheels

Old 03-10-2007, 09:04 AM   #21
ROB-80E

Car: Turbo BG Astina
Send a message via ICQ to ROB-80E Send a message via MSN to ROB-80E
Huh? Was that answering for Ross in reference to my question?

If it was....did you look at the pic? BA v6 stub axel, calipers, 4 stud hub and rotor.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:24 AM   #22
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
you said why dont you swap over to the whole ba v6 assembly meaning 5 stud...
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:28 AM   #23
ROB-80E

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB-80E
Why dont you just use the whole BA v6 setup, change the hub and rotor and bob's ya uncle.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:14 AM   #24
bourbon
The Hairy Mod

Car: MINI Cooper S 2003
i read it differently...
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:06 PM   #25
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB-80E View Post
The other thing with mentioned above is, why would you downsize your rotor diameter to fit the subaru calipers? The V6 rotors are bigger. Why dont you just use the whole BA v6 setup, change the hub and rotor and bob's ya uncle. Or is two spot calipers that important?
It's only when I assembled the calipers on the bracket and put them on the car that I found that the rotor was too big for them. As yet I havn't invested in rotors or pads. I have to compare the benefits of 2mm thicker, 10mm smaller diameter disks with twin piston calipers over the standard BA brakes.
So far I've invested a lot of time into this project and the GD rotors and pads will be cheaper than BA rotors alone.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:39 PM   #26
GTXWGN

Car: tree two tree
Send a message via MSN to GTXWGN
thanks for the imput , basically after all my mucking around , i have found the best thing to do exactly wat rob has done, i should have just asked him myself , i knew he had done it , i jsut wanted to see what i could fiddle around with its just how we do it haha..

anyway, the v6 rotors are a joke for a redrill when u can go the mx5 270 and they are a direct fit and have the 55mm centre hole , and as rob confirmed the pads still use all the disc with no overlap...

like u said the 2mm thicker disc might help a bit but im willing to sacrifice that.

i have already lined up and picking up this week 2 ba 5 stud hubs , while im there im going to go thru the caliper bin at mazda and see if there are any factory 2 pot calipers and compare them to the stock BA v6 , if all else fails im going to just use a complete stock ba v6 hub and caliper with the the 4x100 centre and mx5 discs like rob!..

i still have one unanswered query if someone could help.

are the shock mounts the same for the 4x100 and ba v6 where it bolts to the shock IE the 2 hole spacing and width of the knuckle bracket/support?

cheers again for the help,

as for the rears , im just redrilling the discs to 4x100 the disc themselves have the studs in them simple as. i looked at the astina 4x100 rears but i really cant be assed for a slightly large solid rotor with the same calipers

Last edited by GTXWGN; 03-10-2007 at 05:42 PM.
GTXWGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:06 PM   #27
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTXWGN View Post
u can go the mx5 270 and they are a direct fit and have the 55mm centre hole , and as rob confirmed the pads still use all the disc with no overlap...
What a load of crap! I have a V6 with the 274mm disks

Quote:
like u said the 2mm thicker disc might help a bit but im willing to sacrifice that.
Your choice

Quote:
as for the rears , im just redrilling the discs to 4x100 the disc themselves have the studs in them simple as. i looked at the astina 4x100 rears but i really cant be assed for a slightly large solid rotor with the same calipers
The BA V6 rear disks are identical to the I4 and NA Mx-5 rear, except that they are drilled for
Old 03-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #28
GTXWGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Dude View Post
What a load of crap! I have a V6 with the 274mm disks

Your choice

The BA V6 rear disks are identical to the I4 and NA Mx-5 rear, except that they are drilled for
im not sure where youre coming from ? or did i insult u? its not a load of crap basically all i have said is that the 270 mx5 disc is the same as the v6 disc and doesnt need redrilling and is 2mm shorter around the edge but the pad still covers it, it also has the 55mm hole the 4x100 has not 72mm like the v6 , so u dont need a spacer made up , also as u pointed out earlier yourself, theres no point having a larger disc if the pads are in the same spot , so the 270mm disc isnt going to make the package any worse off at all compared to your 274 disc... , thats my load of crap there my friend , im glad you have the 274mm disc and good for you but the 270mm mx5 disc works a treat and is less work to use when keeping 4x100 , obviously if u are 5 stud you would keep the v6 disc,before i would redrill the v6 disc tho i would find a 24-25mm disc near 274mm and redrill and use that

i didnt get your point there sorry.

as for the rear my BF hubs are a hub type disc in 4x114.3 with a small as diameter, i dont have any BA hubs to use etc. , they dont slot over the stub/studs like the rest of yours do , the disc is part of the actual hub with the studs...its severly gay and the trailing arm bolts to the shock not the knuckle....., so im leaving my BF spec 4x114.3 rears alone but redrilling them to 4x100 if that makes sense . i can understand what i wrote might have sounded like i was trying to use BA ones

can anyone confirm the front hub strut bolt holes 5 vs 4 stud? EG - do u have to change struts in the front to go 5 stud BA brakes

Ross

Last edited by GTXWGN; 03-10-2007 at 07:24 PM.
GTXWGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:02 PM   #29
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
Quote:
they dont slot over the stub/studs like the rest of yours do , the disc is part of the actual hub with the studs...its severly gay and the trailing arm bolts to the shock not the knuckle....., so im leaving my BF spec 4x114.3 rears alone but redrilling them to 4x100 if that makes sense . i can understand what i wrote might have sounded like i was trying to use BA ones

can anyone confirm the front hub strut bolt holes 5 vs 4 stud? EG - do u have to change struts in the front to go 5 stud BA brakes
um? rear brakes are same as any maxzda/ford setup in that era. suggest you go look at a set.

2nd Q - change from what struts? BF? BG? BA? BJ?

Ryan
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:36 PM   #30
ROB-80E

Rosco, the BA hubs are a direct bolt on in all sence of the words. So no mods required to the strut bottom. HOWEVER!!! when you get the v6 stub axel, make sure you get the ball joints on the bottom too. The ball joints aren't interchangeable to the stub axel, but the BA V6 ball joint lines up with the BG control arm. Tie rod end is the same.

One other thing to try with the rears is see if you can bolt on a BG rear hub. Just undo the center nut and the hub slides off...I put BA rear stub axels on my car and used the BG 4 stud hub. Again, simply interchangeable. Might work with the rears on your car too...as the front wheel bearings are the same throughout the range.

Cosmo...as for your absolute crap...would you like close up pictures? Would you like to see the original BA V6 rotor that i pulled off and see the outer egde of the rotor where there is NO pad ware. IE, it's just a rusted edge where the pad has never touched close to the outer 2mm of the rotor. Meaning that when I fitted my 270mm rotor, the pad goes all the way to the edge of the rotor, but has no overlap. Ask for a pic and I'll go take one to prove it...it's that simple.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:22 AM   #31
GTXWGN

well that sums it all up - cheers guys!

rob as for the rears , i think i could swap the entire hub over i think but id need BG rear shocks , i can try the disc section alone like u said however the caliper backet wont reach anymore sorta like fitting 257mm discs on a sohc front hub, unless i make brackets for the rears?

ps - why did u go to the BA rears are the rear discs larger aswell?
Old 04-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #32
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

OK,
The V6 pads go to the very edge of the V6 disk. If the radius of the disk is 2mm smaller then the outside of the pads will over shoot the disk. The little left over will probably break away harmlessly but that will lap over the disk. So there will be overlap regardless.

Rob has critisised my plan to use the smaller 264mm GD disks in place of the 274mm BA disks, he then suggests the 270mm Mx-5 disks. Isn't that a little hypocritical? Any way it's your decision to make.
Old 04-10-2007, 10:17 PM   #33
GTXWGN

rob is running the 270 and the pad doesnt overlap , maybe a different brand of pad who knows.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:54 PM   #34
jaimo99

Car: '95 323 hardtop 1.8ltr
what is an easy front brake upgrade with an Astina BA Hardtop (4 stud) The suburu brakes only bolt onto the V6 bracket/hub ??? right or wrong So the 1.8ltr BA front wheel hub has a different gap between the threaded mounting holes ???? what is the problem with fitting the
V6 Hub/bracket to the 1.8ltr if it all lines up?????????????? ill be back Mon

Last edited by jaimo99; 05-10-2007 at 03:40 PM. Reason: had a look
jaimo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 07:43 PM   #35
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Quote:
rob is running the 270 and the pad doesnt overlap , maybe a different brand of pad who knows.
Be sure!