Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Suspension & Wheels

Old 20-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #1
Sam_L

Car: 1993 Mazda Lantis Hardtop 1.8
BA Lantis/Astina - Handbrake issues

Hi there,

I've got a '93 Mazda Lantis 4 door (hardtop I think they're called sometimes), and I'm having problems with the handbrake. I don't have all that much knowledge of the inner workings of handbrakes, or brakes in general, so I've got a few questions for you wiser folk that I'd be hugely greatful to get some info on. I did a quick search of the forum but couldn't find anything on the particular problems I'm experiencing, but apologies if this has already been covered somewhere.

The problem is the handbrake is sticking.. that is, after pulling the handbrake on and then releasing it, the brake stays engaged on the rear right wheel. From crawling under the back of the car I found that I could release the seized brake by pulling at the cable near where it connects to the calliper.

My very un-expert diagnosis was that perhaps the cable had seized up somewhere along the way and needed freeing up or replacement. I've taken it into a local mechanic who told me that the whole rear right brake unit would have to be sent off to be serviced. This would cost a few hundred dollars which I'm not entirely keen to spend if I don't have to.

So, my question is: Does this sounds right? Does the entire brake unit need a service? Or is there something that I could do myself to fix this? Keep in mind I don't have any experience working on brakes, but I do have decent mechanical knowledge.

Thanks in advance for any advice you might be able to provide! Or if this has been covered somewhere, just point me in the right direction
Sam_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 20-05-2009, 09:05 PM   #2
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
spray with what ?

The handbrake is cable operated. The handbrake lever inside the car pulls on the cable. This cable splits into 2 directions, each of which goes to one ofthe rear wheels.

Easy way to see if its the brake unit is have someone pull the handbrake on so that it sticks, and then release it. watch the cable at the brake unit and see f it releases. If the cable releases tension, then it must be the unit internals sticking. if the cable is still taught after releasing it, it must be the cable.
Old 21-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Sam_L

Car: 1993 Mazda Lantis Hardtop 1.8
With lubricant i guess?

Thanks for the help, guys. If you're right, Dogo, then it must be the cable. After engaging and releasing the handbrake, the cable doesn't release properly. To get it to release I have to pull at this part of the cable:

On the other wheel (which has no problems) this same part looks a lot cleaner and well lubed. So I'm guessing the problem lies somewhere around this mechanism, where the cable meets brake unit. When I get a chance I'll see if I can loosen it up with a bit of lubricant I think. Hope it works!

Thanks again guys.
Sam_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #4
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
it could make doing a hand brake turn very interesting
Old 21-05-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
I'd start by spraying the caliper (being careful not to contaminate the brake pads or disk). If that fails spray some lube down the cable from the top but looking at that caliper I doubt it's the cable.