Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 23-01-2009, 06:36 PM   #21
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
that's alot of oil. looks like too much pressure under the cover.

follow cosmo's advice and check the hoses. avoid swallowing oil, it tastes nasty
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #22
Trev323

Car: Car
Thanks for the helpful advice guys. I'll try a few things out over the weekend. I've used a couple of oils but generally I use penrite the 20W<something>. I've also noticed a bit of oil along the spark plug tops on the cover. Nothing in the spark plugs themselves so looks like the gasket is sealing properly on the inside. I wouldn't be surprised if the oil cap is leaking as this is the only place where it can leak for the oil to get there so I will get a new one.

A few questions:

1) What is a good way to tighten the bolts without a torque wrench? I think the rule was finger tighten then an extra 1/4 turn with a socket.

2) What is the hose with the yellow tape called? For some reason i thought it was the PCV

3) I dont understand the bit about sucking air from somewhere. Which hose are you talking about?
Trev323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 12:22 AM   #23
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
i dont know about the rule of thumb about tightening it without a torque wrench but i suggest you get one and do it how its meant to be. this might be a simple case of it not being tight enough. reason y you have a troque setting is to allow for movement under heat and so its at optimal tightness under working temp.. if you over tighten it you put unnecesary strain on the part and it will wearout quicker or in some cases break when it gets to operating temperature.. and 20W something is thick oil, i use 5W (40 i beleive) and it doesnt leak like that, allthough it does go past rings sometimes when i plant it (past 6000RPM)
Old 24-01-2009, 05:35 PM   #24
Dogo

Car: Mazda 323 BA BPT transplant
Definitely get a torque wrench and dont buy a cheapy either. Get a reputable brand even if it costs more.

You should use it a lot when working on the engine.

The hose with the yellow tape is the oil breather hose. The PCV ( purge conrol valve ) will be at the other end of the cover, with a little plastic thing ( the valve ) and a hose to the intake manifold.
Old 24-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #25
Dogo

According to the service manual , the torque on the came cover bolts is ( 3 different measurements depending on what ur wrench uses )

5.0 - 8.8 N m
50 - 90 kgf cm
44 - 78 in lbf

I dont know why these bolts have cm and inches in the last 2 settings. Usually its feet and meters.

there's also an installation note ( attached )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 1.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	255  
Old 24-01-2009, 06:12 PM   #26
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
The purge control valve is on the firewall behind the throttle body. The positive crankcase ventilation valve is in the valve cover at the back behind the oil cap (between bolts (1) and (2) in Dogos' pic).
Old 24-01-2009, 09:47 PM   #27
Dogo

my mistake !
Old 26-01-2009, 10:43 AM   #28
Trev323

Car: Car
Alright so I've taken off the heat shield and given it a good scrub. Looks like just a leak from the front of the rocker cover gasket. There seems to be more coming from the dizzy end although I can see a fair bit around the water pump as well.

Also check the bell housing and didn't see that much there. The cable going into the extractors was covered in oil, I presume this is the oxygen sensor?

The bolts seemed pretty tight. I used a socket and they seems more than tight enough. Will need a torque wrench to make sure they're not over tight.

PCV seemed to be one way (towards the throttle body). The engine end was caked in oil so I have it a good clean.

Couldn't get the breather hose off cos I didn't have time but I'll be replacing it later anyway.

I'm going to keep an eye on it over the next few days. It's definitely leaking a fair bit atm. I know its been covered in other threads but I thought 15W<> or 20W<> oil was suitable.
Trev323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #29
OZY-323
AstinaGT Regular

Car: mazda Astina 323 '95'
Send a message via MSN to OZY-323
Dizzy = O-Ring possibly
you can pck em up from mazda or an auto shop.
Old 26-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #30
Cosmo Dude
コスモ

Car: Mazda '95 Astina I4, '86 B2K and '10 3 MZR-CD
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZY-323 View Post
Dizzy = O-Ring possibly
you can pck em up from mazda or an auto shop.
Was replaced in post #1
Old 27-01-2009, 12:12 AM   #31
70NYD
Veni, vidi, vici

Car: 1996 BA Hatch & 2005 RX8
i still say torque them down properly. a torque wrench is a must have for any home garage anyway cus there isnt many parts on the car that are simple tight as u can do em. most have a optimal torque seting. if after you put the cover on properly, with a new gasket, its still leaking from the cover id say you might have a warped head, or warped rocker cover, or both