Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Performance & General Maintenance

Old 30-12-2007, 05:52 PM   #141
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
whoa astina 20,000 new? weren't they more than that when the BA's came out? $26,000?

anyway the astinas rule the twisty roads, they aren't straight line machines, you can't expect to beat impreza's off the line unless you go turbo or a full NA rebuilt and even then it'd be close (assuming 150atw turbo, 120 NA)
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2007, 06:03 PM   #142
323Racer

Car: 97 323 astina
but ultimately even on a twisty road if i modified my astina as project r wrote out for me....could i beat an impreza on a twisty road?
323Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2007, 06:20 PM   #143
project.r.racing

Car: n/a
just go and buy an impreza - it seems to be your benchmark
project.r.racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2007, 06:24 PM   #144
Plutonus

Car: Traitor vehicle
Astina and Impreza, different target markets. Like Ryan said, if you want to be like an Impreza so much, go buy one?
Old 30-12-2007, 06:27 PM   #145
hks_kansei
AstinaGT Regular

Car: Mondeo
Just look at it this way.

Do you enjoy driving and owning the Astina?

If you make the car fun to drive, then it doesnt matter if it's faster than anything!

enjoy what you've got.

71.3kw@5341rpm - 394.4nm@3968rpm - Protek Dyno.
2000 Mazda MX5
hks_kansei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2007, 06:31 PM   #146
project.r.racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavoAust View Post
whoa astina 20,000 new? weren't they more than that when the BA's came out? $26,000?
$24,000-$29,000 brand new, depending on model.

But buy a small 1.8L, electric everything optioned car today, and you'll pay $19,990 in today's market place, (as 1st stated.) eg:- Nissan Pulsar/Tida.

Ryan
Old 30-12-2007, 06:33 PM   #147
323Racer

right now im just stuck...i need some time to think ...coz i have grown a bond with it....sigh.the world of modifying huh..
Old 30-12-2007, 06:35 PM   #148
project.r.racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323Racer View Post
could i beat an impreza on a twisty road?
yes you could beat a unmodified impreza, but you'd need to spend at least $5,500 and be prepared to rev it hard to 6,500rpm without a care for the condition of your motor. and learn how to drive a car to and past it's potential.

cos if the impreza is modified at all or the driver has some notion of driving skill about him, the impreza will eat you up...

ryan

Last edited by project.r.racing; 30-12-2007 at 06:39 PM.
Old 30-12-2007, 06:56 PM   #149
323Racer

but the thing about the atina aswell is dat its harder to find parts for it than other cars like honda civics or lancers....is that why most of the stuff is abit more expensive for astina's?
Old 30-12-2007, 06:59 PM   #150
project.r.racing

nope, everything performance wise is the same cost. unless you are talking cheap ebay crap out of hong kong or china?
Old 30-12-2007, 07:06 PM   #151
project.r.racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323Racer View Post
to gain some speed - remove the 4WD status you currently have...
Old 30-12-2007, 07:18 PM   #152
DavoAust

Car: Red '93 3000GT / Black '08 Ninja 250R
Send a message via MSN to DavoAust
mate, i think the biggest problem is that you're aiming wayyyy too high with the astina. if you want a wrx, buy one, you won't be happy with anything else. i want a mitsi fto gpx, it doesn't mean i'm not happy with my hardtop.

at the end of the day you need to weigh it up. Do you want the pocket-rocket yet unusable on public roads performance of a wrx or the fun day-to-day driving of the astina. if you want the wrx, sell the astina, don't bother modifying it cause you will never be happy with it and you'll eventually wish you had saved the money to buy a wrx
Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.

'97 1.8L Hardtop
'93 3.0L TT 3000GT
DavoAust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2007, 08:51 PM   #153
Putonyourshoes

Car: 2L 96 BA hatch
mate.. youll find that they are not the most competitive cars.. but they are a hell of a lot of fun if you get to drive them on a track.
they may not be as quick as others but you can drive at stupid man speed and have them grip through corners..
its not a competition mate..
just make it as you like it..
if you want more performance go for it.. but remember there are people that have spent hundreds of thousands on the cars so there is really no point in trying to be the fastest.
stand back and have a look at your car. do you like the way it looks?
do you like how it has changed since you have got it?
do you enjoy driving it?
i dont know where im going with this.. but i guess modifying isnt always about being the fastest or looking the best.. make the car how you want it not what other people expect you to have
Putonyourshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2007, 09:09 PM   #154
hks_kansei
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putonyourshoes View Post
stand back and have a look at your car. do you like the way it looks?
do you like how it has changed since you have got it?
do you enjoy driving it?
i dont know where im going with this.. but i guess modifying isnt always about being the fastest or looking the best.. make the car how you want it not what other people expect you to have

Exactly, that's the point I was making earlier.

Who cares if it's fast, I have driven cars that are much faster than my Mondeo, but they felt boring, and I didnt enjoy driving them.

Go-karts are a perfect example, they are slow, but are such great fun!

2000 Mazda MX5
Old 30-12-2007, 09:43 PM   #155
zappy65

Car: Old: 1989 DOHC Mazda 323 New: Nissan 180SX Type X
Send a message via MSN to zappy65
Hahahaha, beat an impreza, yeah right mate...seriously though it is doable, ive seen many a car beat an impreza around the track, MX-5 SE for example, BUT in my opinion the Subaru Impreza WRX is the best all round car off the shelf that money can bye....I LOVE THE MY98 MODEL..they look hot and are seriously quick untouched....but for more power, bigger top mount (thicker) an STi Turbo and a BOV with an Exhaust will have you haulin'...they handle well and grip well with the AWD train...oh yeah....hahahaha..Ive actually been looking at getting one of these down the track...with an astina its all about what you want, not what everyone tells you, you should have...all my ass school mates have commodores with V8's and i constantly get served but put me and them around Mt. Tambo and we will see who gets to the top first...and with the BPT conversion going well...they are kinda scared now....its what you make it man...so make it well....some good suspension and allignment will having you packing in no time...oh and the BG SP was $32,000 brand new...hahahaha i got mine for $3000..hahahaha if you think about it you havent done much to your car man....really expensive wheels and a pod...oh and the exhaust...you havent even peed on the surface of what makes a car go boom.....if you dont like your tina then there is always a BPD that is for sale on FL.com in perth....but its in a TX3...

http://www.astinagt.com/forums/vbpic...?do=view&g=319
Come see my deviantness....hehe
http://dawnblade.deviantart.com/

Last edited by zappy65; 30-12-2007 at 09:48 PM.
zappy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2007, 09:48 PM   #156
project.r.racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappy65 View Post
if you think about it you havent done much to your car man....really expensive wheels and a pod...oh and the exhaust...you havent even peed on the surface of what makes a car go boom.....
BOOM!!! that's the truth!
Old 31-12-2007, 03:07 AM   #157
323Racer

i got into an accident before with my bonnet so its back to white now...n plus i took out the pod today n put back the standard airbox....im so much more happier with it now than with the pod...i think thewre was juss way to much back flow...

no more lagg..pick up is faster...im just happier with it now...n about the subaru impreza...im not actualli in to the impreza it was juss an example to help put out my point...like when i was racing it i couldnt do anything...i went down a gear or two...n i stepped all the way down on the acc n it didnt do anything...he just kicked my ass hands down with ease....the point wasnt the impreza...it was that feeling of i couldnt do anything more coz i hit my limit...it was the feeling of limitation that really got me down...n dat there was no more potential in it at that moment...i couldnt do anything at all besides backing down and saving my fuel rather than waste it on losing in the end...

but now im starting to understand what modifying is all about...as long as your happy with it n having fun then its fine....n i think i'll be happy with the extractors n suspension..haha

thanx guys...went through a rough patch..taking crap from others about my astina but screw em....im happy with it..

u guys rock..!!
Old 31-12-2007, 08:29 AM   #158
hks_kansei
AstinaGT Regular

Get into some motorkhanas if you want to show people how a smaller slower car can be competitive.

My mondeo (completely stock) has beaten a tuned R34 skyline around the cones.

and was subsequently beaten by a well driven auto 1.5 lancer!

2000 Mazda MX5
Old 31-12-2007, 08:32 AM   #159
project.r.racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hks_kansei View Post
Get into some motorkhanas if you want to show people how a smaller slower car can be competitive.

My mondeo (completely stock) has beaten a tuned R34 skyline around the cones.

and was subsequently beaten by a well driven auto 1.5 lancer!
so true, motorkhanas is where the small light fwd cars come into there own. i have a shelf full of trophies to prove it.
Old 31-12-2007, 08:37 AM   #160
hks_kansei
AstinaGT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by project.r.racing View Post
so true, motorkhanas is where the small light fwd cars come into there own. i have a shelf full of trophies to prove it.

I agree, but my car isnt the best suited for them.

1250kg
tall gearing
handbrake needs tightening.......... but it cant be done due to **** design

any hints for me? I've only done the one, but there's another later this/next year (2008) and I'm hoping to do a little better.

this time I was going to be running lower profile wider tyres than last time, and have stiffer springs.
I am also thinking of keeping my 195's on the rear to help it slide?

sorry to go so far off topic.

2000 Mazda MX5