Go Back   AstinaGT Forums > Performance & Technical > Forced Induction & Engine Conversions

Old 14-05-2006, 02:39 PM   #1
mams

Car: ba
Send a message via MSN to mams
who really knows mazdas well?

i have an issue

apparently in 1997 a new emissions standard was introduced. ADR37/01. This standrad is way hard to pass. However if i can show that my car is a continuing model ( unchanged etc) from the 1996 one then i can comply with ADR37/00. This is about 4 times easier to pass!

i need to know and get documents to show this if indeed it is the case. I have talked to mazda australia and they were hopeless. Anyone have any knowledge here or and ideas?

thanks
mams
Sponsored Links
Old 14-05-2006, 04:23 PM   #2
ROB-80E

Car: Turbo BG Astina
Send a message via ICQ to ROB-80E Send a message via MSN to ROB-80E
What are you needing to "pass" that ADR for? I'm guessing they fall under the EPA regulations.

Simple fact is, if your car was made in or after 1997, you WILL have to comply with ADR37/01, no matter whether the 1996 model was no different to yours.
Old 15-05-2006, 01:35 PM   #3
mams

the engineer was of another opinion

i have to pass it for emmissions i guess so my car isnt killing the atmosphere
Old 15-05-2006, 06:44 PM   #4
chipa
Crazy Member

Car: FPV F6 Typhoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB-80E
Simple fact is, if your car was made in or after 1997, you WILL have to comply with ADR37/01, no matter whether the 1996 model was no different to yours.
Thats the way its been for every car I've been involved with when getting compliance.

Updated 2007-03-19: Readers Rides Finally upgraded from the stock headunit
chipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2006, 07:40 PM   #5
Forg

Car: Volvo 242GT
Ah, the age-old problem with engineers disagreeing.

You really need to just listen to the engineer you're dealing with. One engineer will say one thing, another will say another; the rules are written so they're a little fuzzy, so the engineers do have to stick up for 'emselves if they make a decision which may or may not be on the edge of what may or may not be legal.

I, too, understood it that a 1997 car had stricter rules because the gumbyment decided less pollution was a good idea; so it is kinda skirting around the rules to say it's fine to breach 1997 rules in a 1997 car because when standard it was the same as a 1996 car. However, if your engineer is fine with that, and they fully understand what you're planning on doing, then run with what they say.

The information you're looking for is going to be a PITA to find though. You'd probably have to go back to testing records, wonder if the EPA has anything on that sort of thing? Maybe there's some documentation lodged with the EPA saying that the cars are the same?
Forg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 03:05 AM   #6
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
Look on your compliance plate - the ADR's marked on it should be, I know most modles I've worked with that are imported have the complied ADR's marked on them. They are the ones the car must comply with.

Other wise as stated what the car was complied with.

The thing is I know for a fact it's a pain.

My car it self built in 89 and complied 90 yet built 90 and complied 90 have two additional ADR's on them.
I know one is for rear hi/3rd mount stoplight. - my car has anyway. the other one I think side intrustion bars yet it has it as well. and no different to latter model doors - weird.
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:16 PM   #7
mams

i got the engineers cirtificate
he decided to be nice to me i think

on another matter, is it common to get grinding noises coming from the gearbox, they have been there since i have bolted on a turbo so to speak, and havent got worse. Is there some secret way i can make my car not ping? im running 8 psi and 19 degrees timing. not that much but the hight compression is killing me and it pings, i think its getting worse any ideas?

mams
Old 10-06-2006, 06:51 PM   #8
rodhog

Car: mx-6 626 Gs300 Maz2 was 95 KF BA-HT
down the booost retard the timing.
DO it right aftermarket ECU and get it tuned.
you defeat the purpose of the whole conversion when you end up with blown motor and you need more money to throw at it
rodhog is offline   Reply With Quote